Forums > Social Chat > JUDGEMENT DAY, for religion

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I think even the most religious of us would admit that a great deal of evil has been done in the name of religion, examples being the big witch hunts of centuries past, the missionary conversions of primitive tribes, the crusades, protestant/catholic violence in N. Ireland etc.

Countering this is the peace that faith brings to many and the compassion to others that lies at the heart of the teachings, which leads to much organised charity work.

So the question for the poll is, in your opinion, has humanity benefitted from the existence of religion, or would it have been better off without it?

By religion I'm mainly referring to Christianity, Judaism, Muslim and similar types i.e. One God with a plan for mankind, as opposed to Buddhism which differs in many respects e.g. having no deity.

Please note that I've not dissed religion nor defended it, just asked a simple question.

It'd be great if any discussion on the subject could be calm, well thought out and polite rather than becoming the usual HOP war zone that generally ensues when religion is mentioned.

In the spirit of it being a poll, a simple 'yes, it has been beneficial overall' or 'no, it has done more harm than good' would be sufficient and would give a clear idea of the consensus view.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
now you would have to be a nugget to buy into that!!!

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ahhh shizzle, just lost everything I typed...

Definitely better off without!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
huh?
quote:
It's like that game where you smash the little animals skulls with a mallet
i must have missed out .... i was obviously deprived as a child......

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Okay beefy, time to stop playing the devils advocate. It is getting a tad annoying.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Djnnmember
79 posts

Posted:
This is an queston in responce to the origional post.

Just because many wrongs have been commited in the name of God does that make loving God wrong?

Techonolgy in many cases has been used for evil also but does that make it wrong too?

Many of these actions that are evil that are in the name of God are actions taken with alterior motives.
Misunderstandings gone horrobly wrong
And the worst thing is that most people are so weak and relient on these religions that they won't even listen to their divine nature within because its heiricy.
A divine inspiration that lifts someone beyond the church is concired a act of war against the church.

Simple my answer to the queston is, Yes.
The teachings in the core of religion are of peace, love, and forgivness, right action, clear thought, pure motives, and compassion to all life with an acceptance of all differences.
It like all things can be misused, misinterpeted, misunderstood.
When this happens it can be misused which is sometimes often the case.
Its to bad really because there is alot of good that potentially come from it if the followers were truely understanding of what they follow
"The Blind leading the Blind"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The thing about religion is that I think it's a straw-man scapegoat.

Violence has broken out over all sorts of things. Rarely do wars break out just because of religion, but because of a conflict between two religious groups that really involves a non-religious issue. It's an issue of pseudo-kinship where people get a "them vs us" attitude.

So when it happens that there's a conflict between two groups over some issue (a resource, territory, etc.) it can be turned into a religious battle when that's not really the underlying issue.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
fun discussion. i am an athiest ... yet i am very spiritual. go figure.

AND i think for the most part the world is a better place because of religion. actually i agree with several of the posters who have said that WAR and creating GOD(s) is part of human nature. So, if we COULD have a world without religion there would still be ways for the rich and powerful to manipulate the people into fighting wars (see how far a little bit of patriotism went recently). However, I doubt we could have a religionless world.

Whereas I do not agree with the arguement that since humans all over the world create dieties that dieties must exist (I mean, really, kids all over the world think there are monsters under their beds. Does that make it so?), I do believe that there is some inherent need for people to think that SOMEone/thing is in control.

I think religion is good because, for most people, it explains the big mysteries. Where did we come from? What is our purpose? What happens when we die? Having explanations for these things makes people happy. Happy people is a good result.

Unfortunately, organized religion also places limits on "acceptable" behavior and that can make people unhappy. AND most people just ignore those limitations anyway making themselves even MORE unhappy with guilt, but overall I think the peace they gain having their big mysteries explained is bigger than all the angst from the other stuff.

Personally I am pretty comfortable with my belief that I am an animal like any other who, because I have a highly developed conscience, want to affect people in this world in a positive way until I die and rot away and people forget I ever existed. But that is me. Most people are not content with that.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Mike is right, most "religious wars" have nothing to do with religion.

If I kill someone and say I did it because god told me too, then is it really done in the name of god?

Even if I truly believe that it is a mission from god, is it?

If you look at what the religion teaches you will see that the person who claims to do something in god's name isnt doing so, because it goes against what their religion teaches.

Djnnmember
79 posts

Posted:
"(I mean, really, kids all over the world think there are monsters under their beds. Does that make it so?)"
So I'm going to go out on a limb hear and say that you don't believe in the boogie man either.
Too bad cause he's really a nice creature sort of thing once you get to know him.

Back to the topic....
Now many of these people have experienced the bliss and rewards of their dieties. Through the devotion and worshop, a peaceful life in unison with the natural harmonic world is revealed to them.
Hence if you were attacked by the monster under the bed you would believe in him wouldn't you.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Ever seen Monsters Inc. ?

hehe

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Djnn:
Now many of these people have experienced the bliss and rewards of their dieties. Through the devotion and worshop, a peaceful life in unison with the natural harmonic world is revealed to them.
this is exactly why i say religion is generally good. many people reap different kinds of rewards from following their faith.

and more power to them ... more happy = good.

Djnnmember
79 posts

Posted:
Hea if your a member of you own religion and you worshop the giant shoe in the sky and give ommage twice a day to all the inivisable people dancing on your alter that are visable only to you but through this religion you find peace, love, and open your mind and heart to all. Do you think I'm against it? No, but don't hold a shoe infront of my face and say its the only way to find love.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Why not? If someone believes in sharing their faith, what is wrong with that?

Granted it can be taken to extreems, but there is nothing wrong with sharing your faith with someone else.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
quote:
No, but don't hold a shoe infront of my face and say its the only way to find love.
The One True Shoe loves you all. Only thru it can you save your Sole!

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
ORGANIZED religion has not been and never will be good for the world. It divides everyone and causes them to do horrible things to each other in the name of something they believe in but do not comprehend fully.

2,905 posts

Posted:
No faid not, religion has never caused anyone to do anything. If I hold a gun to your head and tell you to sing happy birthday 30 times, did I make you do it? No! If you read something in a book, did the book make you do it? No!

Man does whatever man wants, religion doesnt make man do anything!

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
raymond, i think if you were holding a gun to my head, i'd be doing whatever you say. surely thats you causing me to do something? i don't understand your argument.

I only wanted to be 16... and free

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
quote:
Hea if your a member of you own religion and you worshop the giant shoe in the sky and give ommage twice a day to all the inivisable people dancing on your alter that are visable only to you but through this religion you find peace, love, and open your mind and heart to all. Do you think I'm against it? No, but don't hold a shoe infront of my face and say its the only way to find love.
exactly. thats how i feel about the religions of the world. are we agreeing here or are you poking fun at me?

and

2,905 posts

Posted:
Captain, though a gun may be to your head, I am not making you do anything. I tell you what to do and you decide if you are going to do what I tell you or not. I am not physically making you do anything. The point is, you still have the free will to do whatever it is you want.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I for one completely agree with you KristieEB.

I have watched several friends over the years turn to their faith to guide them in times of need and struggle. I think that's what religion is there for in a large sense. For me, I've learned how to deal and cope with stuff by looking inside myself instead of turning to something else. However, I believe that if there is a way that works to help yourself, then by all means you should follow the path best for you.

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
someone holding a gun to my head and telling me to do something suggests to me that the person with the gun would kill me if i didn't acquiesce.
surely its not free will if my other option is death?

I only wanted to be 16... and free

2,905 posts

Posted:
Is your other option death? Can you prove that at the time? Is the gun loaded? Will the person actually pull the triger? Will that person actually hit you?

Chances are you will never be in that situation, so this really is a rather pointless discussion. Either way, religion isnt holding a gun to your head.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
A lot of people are talking about one of the big benefits of religion being the inner peace it can bring and the sense of meaning it can provide.

I agree that this is a very good thing and something I very much respect, as it is a belief of mine that being at peace with oneself is perhaps the most valuable thing both for individuals and for humanity as a whole.

However, I feel it's important to note that religion is not the sole source of inner peace.

Inner peace can be achieved independantly of any religious perspective.

Note that buddhism approaches the aquisition of such a state completly independantly of any reference to a diety.

Life without a God is not meaningless, meaning and purpose can be found, for example, within oneself, and through acts of true compassion.

The miracle of us existing as conscious beings is in no way diminished if it is the case that we were not created by a God.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

2,905 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by onewheeldave:
Life without a God is not meaningless, meaning and purpose can be found, for example, within oneself, and through acts of true compassion.

The miracle of us existing as conscious beings is in no way diminished if it is the case that we were not created by a God.

This I personally disagree with.

However Yes you can find peace within yourself, but it wont be complete. What if there was more, what if you could be more peaceful? What if the only way to do that is via the Grace of God? Would you want it?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Interesting view Ray, it deserves its own thread and I've just created one here: -

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006481

It would be great if you could post on it with your reasons for believing that true peace can't be found without God.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Actually, I believe most of what I said Ray, wasn't just playing devils advocate there. Buddhism, along with all eastern religions / philosophies, differ from Western Philosophy fundamentally from the beginning though. Western Religions are concerned with Judgement which must be taken on blind faith (For lack of a better word before we get back into that whole proof all around us thing). Eastern Philosophies are not based on blind faith, but on acheivable goals, ie enlightenment.

Remember though the eight fold path if you are to bring Buddhism into this. Right view is first and foremost, without which the other 7 can not follow. This is similar to Christian dogma in some respects: How do you reach the goal without having the right view? The Buddha preached just like Jesus did to convert others to his path. In reality, Buddhism can be taken to be very similar to Christianity.

Further more, Buddhism is based off of Vedic religions which assume a monism (at least in that branch of those philosophies), or one thing. Some modern Buddhist schools still use the Atman (individual self) is identifiable with Brahman, or all of experiential reality. Christianity is based on a dualism, seperation of Man from God. One religion (West) believes you must stand in judgement from your creator. The other (East) assumes all judgement to be attachment and only a barrier to enlightenment. However, with a little logical progression, you can turn Christianity's view into that view, or Buddhist views into Christianity.

And if you study more and more religions, at least in my case, I began to see fundamental underlying spiritual truths manifest in all of them. It is why I hold that any path leads to the goal and why spirituality is good. It is also why I see religion as, relative to spirituality, bad, as it proclaims one doctrine as truth. It puts your development in a stagnant state which sometimes only trying to defend or answer difficult questions from others can help stir up. Which is why I like to ask seemingly stupid questions to everyone... though it tends to get me in trouble sometimes, but thats ok.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Page: