Page:
Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
i know a while ago there was a discussion on (now im gonna spell it really wrong!)circumsision(?!)(and yes i see all you boys cringing and cowering in fear! ) but i have just found out something really cool..did you know that scientists can now grow sheets and sheets of skin from the foreskin of a newborn ?!bet ya didnt!and its used to treat the scars of burns victims etc how cool is that!a good reason for circumsision dont you think?!!

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:

I'm starting to wonder about this Narr person...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
It's because there are some stem cells still in it. The plascenta is really damn useful to (Pamela Anderson kept her plascenta so she could feed it to ducks while depriving several patients of the valuable skin grafts.

Im not sure what americas stance is, but canada banned the use of stem cells from still births and aborted fetuses because it is somehow unethical.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
He he, he he...

Astar said newborn foreskins still have "stem cells"...

He he, he he....

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Get out of my mind Frostypaw!!!

I came real close to saying exactly the same thing, but didn't.

Went with the "stem" cell thing instead since it was more juvinile.

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
never buy coldcuts from a mohel!

-v-

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Out of curiosity, how much of a tip does he get?

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:

Well.

I think this has gone from educational, to slightly funny, and then well into Completely Inapropriate.

Move along people. Nothing to see here.

Currently on the right side up of the world.

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Stem cells can actually be found in pretty much all tissues but in varying degrees and quality. Trying to isolate stem cells from tissue which contains very few is very difficult. The marrow from children's teeth aparently also are also a good source of stem cells.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Can you see something very similar to those blood donor vans roll into town?

"Bring out yer foreskins..!"

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

2,568 posts

Posted:
you guys make me laugh

SlightlySingedGOLD Member
82 posts

Posted:
I don't care how beneficial it is to science, it's barbaric. I am sure most mothers and fathers would be horrified at the thought of giving up a piece of their daughter in the name of science, yet we actually consider cutting a piece of flesh from our sons? Just because lots of people do it doesn't mean it's okay. You don't need all your ear - cut half of it off. Or a little finger maybe. If it was any other part of the body, the parents and doctor would be locked up.

I do poi nearly every day. But it's not like I'm addicted or anything. I mean, sure, I am always conscious of exactly where my poi are at all times, but I'm not obsessed. um.. Anyone have the number for Poi-ers Anon?

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
To be fair, it also has massively beneficial effects in terms of hygiene, and often bits of the body are amputated in those terms...

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm having Deja Vu all of a sudden

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

2,568 posts

Posted:
slightly singed i take it you dont own a donor card!? - i find it had to understand why people have these views, surely a bit of excess skin that can be made beneficial to someone else is a good thing? .. like giving blood.

ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
I think the whole thing is not funny. I have been scarred(litrally) for life and will need years of therapy.

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
hygenie and all that aside it descensitized the area, i dont care if it skin can be used to cure cancer thats a sacrific that just isnt worth it

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
OMG, I was so just kidding(about it not being funny and needing therapy). It's not your fault someone decided to get creative and do a little body modification, no worries Although, I do feel as if I'm missing something . . .

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
I'm totally against circumcision. It shouldn't be allowed.

And it doesn't make it any more hygenic than uncircumcised people. The only thing that affects hygiene is how often and how well u wash it !!!!!!!!!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I rather like being circumcised...

-v-

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
Now whats wrong with circumcision? If another person can benefit from something thats literaly not doing anything productive, (and folks it really aint) whats wrong with it? I mean people donate organs, like livers and stuff. Is it wrong to do that? I mean we use those too. So ya. There, lol.

Noir_DDELUX

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
if this is going to get onto the ethics of circumscision debate we had a couple of months ago, continue it here. circumscision thread

theres lotsa passionate rants to keep you amused for at least 15 minutes.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

SlightlySingedGOLD Member
82 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dentrassi, I will be reading that.

However, let me just say, there is NO hygenic reason for circumcision. That is what's called an Old Wives Tale. Also, donating organs is a clear and concsious decision by the person donating. You have absolutely no right to make that choice for someone else, EVEN YOUR CHILD. If I'm dead, sure, I don't care what is done with my bits. You can have my foreskin. But not before.

Narr, what do you think about a society that cuts off the female clitoris at birth? If we had a medical use for the off cuts, that would be okay, wouldn't it?

I do poi nearly every day. But it's not like I'm addicted or anything. I mean, sure, I am always conscious of exactly where my poi are at all times, but I'm not obsessed. um.. Anyone have the number for Poi-ers Anon?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
there is no way you can make a comparison between male circumcision (removal of some foreskin) and female circumcision (removal of the clitorous) and even hope to be talking about anthing remotely similar.

-v-

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
<dentrassi valiantly tries to direct passionate responses to the 1-2month old topic he listed 3 posts above>

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
[Rant]

quote:
Originally posted by vanize:
there is no way you can make a comparison between male circumcision (removal of some foreskin) and female circumcision (removal of the clitorous) and even hope to be talking about anthing remotely similar.
Why not, both are mutilating a very sensitive part of a young childs body, both effect the operation and sensitivity of said organ, and both are often done in highly questionable hygenic conditions. Yes even in the western world children are still circumcised by some unqualified religeous representative in squalid back room clinics.

I can see it being justified for a medical condition, but to do it because of vanity, or a mythical hygene problem is just down right wrong!

I can't believe people don't bat an eyelid about this (because its comon place in the west), yet as soon as someone mentions female circumcision they go ape (hey that east is well dodgy seen what they do to their daughters?)...

Either your for genital mutilation for all children or against it. you can't be in favour of one and against the other!

Anyone who says "but female circumcision is so much worse!" I emplore you to look into the process of male circumcision, mostly carried out, as I said above, by unqualified religious representatives, WITHOUT anesthetic. I have friends who have been circumcised in this way, and it's ended up causing more problems than it has solving any. Can you say "secondary infection"... I know you can.

My old fella is gonna stay intact thank you very much!

PsyB.

[/Rant]

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Sorry Dentrassi, I just couldn't let that lie...

PsyB.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Sorry Dentrassi, but we are here now.

As I said before, I rather like it. I can't imagine that would be the case if the whole glans had been lopped off, which would be the equivelent of a female circumcision on a male. Now that would be mutilation.

And for those of you who contend that the foreskin is a region of sensitive skin required to remain intact for sexual pleasure, I can peasonally assure you from my own experience that is not the case. I also have friend who was circumsized in his mid twenties upon converting to Judiasm in order to marry a woman he is very much in love with, says that he can't really tell the difference now that it is healed (just had to ask him after a few beers one night).

I personally don't really care if male circumcision goes the way of the dodo or not, and frankly, I don't really buy the hygene argument either, at least in the modern world where most people actually bathe regularly. Seems like it is more a matter of asthetics than anything else. I'm just saying it isn't the horribly barbaric act some people seem to think it is. I've never heard any males who were circumcised complain about it. The only girl I know that was circumcised (she's from Iran) complains about it all the time.

-v-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I do have to disagree to some degree.

It's not a bad act *IF* it's done for medical reasons and under strictly supervised surgical conditions, but when it's done to children as young as 5 in a two up two down house in tottenham using blunt utensils and no anasthetic (as was done to one of my friends) I think it is a hideously barbaric act.

How many throughout the world are completed under controlled conditions or by religious leaders with no real idea of anatomy or physiology...

It is a bit worrying to me that on the one hand many people are up in arms about female circumcision, which I agree is also wrong, but male circumcision is just brushed aside as something "cultural". Either way you look at it their both mutilation of an unwilling (in most cases) party...

PsyB.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
quote:
Sorry Dentrassi, but we are here now
oh well, the only reason i actually mentioned it thrice is cos im procrastinating instead of doing uni assignments, and will do anything to distract myself.

happy debating!!

Page: