AutumnLyfemember
44 posts

Posted:
Hello All!
Should I be using a light towel or a dark towel to roll poi? Does it matter? Seeing as though I now live in Africa my material is limited. All and any suggestions would help. Thanks a bunch.
Autumn

There are no ordinary moments.

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
just make sure its 100% cotton. and have a look in the tech and help sections too, theres some good advice.

I only wanted to be 16... and free

AutumnLyfemember
44 posts

Posted:
Thanks Captain!
I checked it out and I have been using the cotton for the last few years but it really does burn quick. Hopefuly wicks will be available at one point. Thank you for the advice sweetie!
Autumn

There are no ordianry moments.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
don't forget also you can rewrap your used towel wicks and get a few more burns out of them with a relatively small amount of towel. if you can't get real "wicking" sometimes in more rural areas of the world, you can use exhaust tape (the kind they use to shield the heat for perormance exhaust headers) and make either a fully snthetic or even better a hybrid wick with towel. (careful though, most exhaust tapes have some fiberglass in them, if the edges wear down and they start to unravel from wear they could flake off pieces and you could breathe them while spinning. just a minor point) another great material is old levi's. another trick is apparently you can coat them in elmer's glue, i would definitely do that if you use the exhaust tape. the point is- if you can keep the ambient heat of the flame off of the towel somehow, the wicks last longer. you could even try aluminum foil or something if you are desparate, just watch out!

[ 20. October 2003, 12:48: Message edited by: arashi ]

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i find mum's towels are the best....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

AutumnLyfemember
44 posts

Posted:
Arashi, Dentraasi,
Thanks you two! You don't know how much the advice helps. I think I do have a couple of old pair of levi. Hope it works, I will let you know on Friday. I also tried to change the color of the fire but that didn't work at all. Once again it is hard to find anything that you need here in Africa, even if it is as simple as Elmers glue. I would die for a Big Mac. I hope to hear from you soon. Have fun spinning!
Forever,
Autumn

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
if you are going to use denim, can i make a suggestion, take large rectangular pannels, roll them into tubes and then use them, more of a tubular kevlar effect, my fire poi are made like this, then put into 3 piece plat and bolted top and bottom to hold them together, with PVA glue top and bottom to prevent fraying!

I rekon you should be able to get 6-10 burns out of them before you start to destory too much of teh material it makes it dangerous?!

i am so jelous of u being in africa, its one of the places i wanna go when im older!

Step (el-nombrie)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by AutumnLyfe:
I would die for a Big Mac.
way things are going you just might!

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

AutumnLyfemember
44 posts

Posted:
NX? Way things are going I just might what?

Mechhead,
Thanks for the info sweetie. I will try that out and let you know how it works. It's just so hard to get the glue here. If you ever get a chance to visit let me know. I will talk to you soon. Thanks again! Autumn

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
are there really people that don't just use kevlar?

is there anywhere in the world you really can't get kevlar delivered easily enough?

Magnus... pay it forward

AutumnLyfemember
44 posts

Posted:
Magnus,
I'll tell you what, why don't you "pay it forward" and send me some kevlar.
Autumn

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Can't HoP send you kevlar? In exchange for money?

And yes... I too, would kill Nx for a Big Mac.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AutumnLyfemember
44 posts

Posted:
NYC,
Yes, HoP can send it to me but it would take a month to get it here because ever since 911 you can no longer air mail "packages" out of the U.S. to third world countries (especially things you would eventually light on fire) without sending it via boat and it would cost me an arm and a leg. Now that I live here, I don't have American Express or Visa anymore so that would be a problem as well. That is why i was trying to get info from everyone on different home made poi balls that would burn longer. Thanks for the input anyway and if you have any suggestions other than buying them let me know.
Thanks,
Autumn

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh yeah the other thing. the longer you let the towel burn the more it will shorten it's life. in other words, don't let the wicks burn themselves out, put them out while they are still burning the fuel and not the towel. just watch the wicks burn real closely and you will see, there is a point when the fuel is runnung out and so the heat just burns the towel instead of the towel acting as a "wick" or medium to transmit fuel.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Autumn,
You do know that HoP is in New Zealand right?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AutumnLyfemember
44 posts

Posted:
Arashi,
Thanks sweetie that will help a bunch. You've been great!!!
NYC,
I have not bought from HoP before. I used to use a local place that sold poi in Florida. Still, I would like to just make my own. My shows are for the local people here in Omaruru, Africa, and I don't want to spend extra cash when I could just make my own. I have someone leaving for the states in December and she will pick some poi balls up for me. Thanks.
Autumn