Forums > Social Chat > Why is there not ..........

Login/Join to Participate

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:
Hello
I was thinking why is there not an international fire arts magazine,i think if there was one it would take off theres a magazine on just about every thing else.
I looked on the net an there was somthing called burn syndycate but i couldnt figure out if it was still going or not?
If i am wrong about there not being a mag let me know.

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
thats a really cool idea! my my you are an ingenious soul, i have never come across a magazine of this kind, but it would be cool as hell to work on it, so if you need me you know wherei am

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Well, what would you like to have in it?
I mean, I do not think there is so much to do in the fire-arts world to have a monthly magazine.

But I could be wrong.

Sic Kittymember
167 posts

Posted:
I think that would be neat.

It could have trick of the month. Fire safety info. Featured performers.

...wait...you can find all that on here!!! uhh grrrr

You've just been attacked by:
SIC KITTY!
*cackles maniacally*
I suffer...*sob*...because I am better.

I don't really believe that.... *coughs*

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
I'm actually making a poi/fire arts mag right now for an English project. But the number of people who say that I should really publish it when I'm doen.. whoa! I don't think it'll be *that* good, but, it's really nice the amount of response I've gotten!

And be assured, when it's done, it'll be posted!

I like orange.And don't take my cookies.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
It'd make a great art mag.

E pluribus unum, baby.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
maybe we should start with an e-zine? -as sort of a logical outgrowth of HoP. That way a few people who are spread out over the globe would still be able to get it rolling pretty easily.

Have a few sections with editors for each who take/select contributions from whoever.

It would be really cool to have a regular section that focuses on the fire scene in a different city/region each edition! (Oo, oo! I wanna be editor for that section! please, please, can I??? I travel a lot and can get Cassandra, who travels even more, to help me! come on! you gotta let me do that section!)

I would be totally up for doing something like that. Any other takers?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Arsn and I have a mag in the pipeline at the moment!!!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Is that an e-mag or a paper one? Good luck with it.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Flipmodiusmember
103 posts

Posted:
every one i am sure would have something to contribut. and to learn from this experince.
If you need any help on the canadian waterfron't let ma know what i can do.

some will understand. -buddah

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
hmmm...having an actual magazine would be a quite hasslefull to fill each month i think... i mean... theres only so much you can put in a fire arts magazine. if it was more of an e-mag or online fanzine type thing with more kinda reports and reviews interviews and stuff rather then just forums (praise be to HOP and all who sale in her) that'd be pretty cool.

but the idea of having a more journilistic angle would be cool. you could get epople to wirte in a stuff..... i dunno

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
An e-zine is a great idea.
I would be happy to help with it(articles and stuff).

But, how are we going to do that?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, it sounds like there is a fair chance Malcolm might let us use HoP to post it, at least in the beginning...?

I would suggest trying for a bi-monthly edition until a time ever came when we got more acceptable submissions than we could use, then it could become more frequent. Also with e-zines, you don't really have to actually 'publish' the whole thing at once really - but just have sections that cycle and a dynamic cover page. That way no one gets fed up with a particular person who doesn't make a deadline. you can be a lot more flexible with it in general.

I could easily put together articles on the fire scenes in Houston, Austin, a couple cities in South Africa, and even the one in Tokyo, and hopefully that would be enough to inspire contributors to that section to carry it after that.

We would definitely need to decide on the format - what types of article or columns would be regular features (fire scenes in various cities, equipment, trick of the month, featured performer, and there are lots of other possibilities) with an editor for each section.

It would be very important to draw up some guidlines for what is acceptable for submission and what exactly it is we are covering. Clearly, we would have poi and staff and general fire performance. But, for example, would we include non-fire juggling on a regular basis, or would we limit that to an occasional special interest article, or just not cover it at all? I guess that could depend if an editor volunteered to do a section specifically on juggling

Then how much room to allow for special articles (say, coverage of events like burningman, or how to find performers insurance)? these will take work on the organizers part as well. have a separate editor to handle these?

Contibutors would have to be willing to allow editing of their articles. editors would have to be dedicated to the task and fairly proficient with language, making webpages, catching overt copyright violations, and such.

We would need someone a bit more savy with web design than I currently am to make each edition 'stick together' (I could do it, but I know others could do it faster and loads better) - a layout editor if you will.

Then an editor-in-chief may or may not be neccisary, depending on how smoothly we manage to work together and how effective/reliable each individual editor is. I would prefer not having one and instead perhaps allow each editor a chance to comment on an article before final submission and require that each article get at least a cursory stamp of approval from a majority of editors before going to press. Maybe everything in this paragraph is overkill (in the beginning anyway), but it would insure a minimum acceptable standard to the articles in the long run.

A consistant format to the actual pages would be nice, so it doesn't seem like you are just browsing through a normal website. Something consistant to use as a blank slate, but that allows the contributors and editors a fair amount of creative freedom with the article space.

Sounds like a few people are definitely interested in working on this, and perhaps we could collaborate with those already doing their efforts in this same line (Valura, Arsn, Flipmodious).

I've been looking for a new artistic outlet recently, and am willing to take the lead on trying to get this rolling if I hear a few of you say, "hell yeah, I'm in!". I'd like to count on at least 3 or 4 people before I commit though.

Should we start a new thread to discuss e-zine ideas?

[ 18. October 2003, 11:52: Message edited by: vanize ]

-v-

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I'll be willing to help out, write some articles or something

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Whatever happened to firemikez's fire mag - I think he only ever put out one edition - and it was excellent...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i would happily help for a mag, or enven a few pages just to throw together to make an e-zine!

i rekon there should be an ISP for sinners, that way yuo could get mails on events, good products, etc........

whats gonna happen about this mag then, r we gonna start one?

only 1 prob, i love hop and i love mal for starting it, wouldnt an e-zone detract from hop and its ability to be sooo cool, cos at teh mo, i c some of the catagories in here as an e-zine style help and info section!?

later cofused days

Step (el-nombrie)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
wel, my thought on this e-zine is that Malcolm would incorporate it into HoP, but I'm willing to bet he sees this as more work for him.

Some threads get repeated so often that we should make articles out of them, which would be much more satisfying to a newbie than asking a question and having 5 people go "do a search!"

I've got a couple already willing to be editors for an e-zine and a few others willing to contribute some articles. Looks like I'll have to PM Mechhead too...

-v-

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if HoP has an SQL query system, i would be happy to volunteer to code an article management system.
if anything, it could really help with recurring topics such as sparkly poi, cantus and pk's body piercings, pinkness, vegemitism, fire ropes, fuel types.....
and it would be great to hyperlink such a resource when rucurring threads get locked with no discussion about them, such as 'poi in film'

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
::blinkblink:: c@ntus and pk have body piercings? And here I thought it was just pink poi and pounce (and I'm playing with the idea still).

Right, more to the point - can this thread be renamed so that it looks like it's about an e-zine? We may get more offers to help that way.

Oh, and I don't think an e-zine would detract from HoP. We'd have interviews with HoP personalities (and Malcolm, if he's willing!), and recommend stuff sold at the HoP store, and all that good stuff.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Though I do believe that a HOP-link is usefull I don't think we should go all-HOP, otherwise it would turn out to be a adverisement-zine.
Right?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if it goes ahead, what existing web-based e-zine would most closely resemble what youse want to see?
IMHO, each issue could be delivered when a certain amount of content is created, as regular deadlines often cause bloodletting . It should incorporate, repackage existing content to a more consolidated lot - this would avoid redundant material.
and it could provide revealing profiles of random HoP personalities - or simply provide a pretense for shots of arashi's britches
in all, it will be a great way of pointing users to oft repeated questions rather than quipping 'do a search' - perhaps an index to relevant threads?

it would not be a small responsibility.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, I'm pretty flexible on the format.

I think the following is pretty elegant without being too over the top:
https://www.thescreamonline.com/contents3-4.html
It's not perfect, and I could think of a couple improvements, but then if I were the one doing the layout, it would wind up being simpler than that - I'm just a bare bones HTML kinda guy.

-v-

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Hey, nothing wrong with plain html
Just don't do a search function