Forums > Social Chat > Frequently Asked Questions

Login/Join to Participate

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm not complaining just offering a solution that occured to me today while I'm behind my deadline at work

I wonder would it be a good idea to have a thread or maybe a page with frequently asked questions on it. An example would be a post on a thread asking the question then with a number of links on the post to various threads that alread exist. That way when a classic comes up we can have a link to the FAQ, which will contain links too all the threads. It's also less rude than telling people to to do bleedin search and also if people read the FAQ they'd be less likely to ask the questions in the first place. All adding to less threads and bandwidth and such and such.

Whoops bad sheep .... Ha ha, you nearly got me there
Well what happened to this then?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
This shouldn't be a thread as it'll sink off page one. It should be on the menu, at the top of the forum list, or the home page.

However experience and studies show that no matter where you put this information, people will still post the same questions again and again!

I hate interner users, which is why I've devoted years to punishing them

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jafar:
...It's also less rude than telling people to to do bleedin search....
I'm glad that someone else has picked up on the rudeness often exhibited when some one asks a question that's been covered before.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Would there be a way of making a thread 'sticky'?
I've seen it used on other boards to keep a thread from falling off the bottom of a page.

I know what's going to happen though, people will just start saying 'Read the FAQ!!' when new members inevitably don't bother reading it

Still, it might encourage people to be more polite, and maybe even provide a link to the FAQ, so I think it's a good idea.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
there's already a nice search function (different to the normal one) under a heading 'Help - FAQ'.

but no-one ever uses that either!

[incidentally, when you select to search in 'poi moves' only, an error message occurs "Error: unable to lookup name 'Poi moves Discussion'."]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood