ZejBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
So my friend from ROTC today thought he was a pyro. Always being strapped with his friendly butane lighter. Having made a couple interesting flammable concotions - the only one worth of crediting being home made thermite. . . but anyway. I called him out on the fact that he had no idea what a love for fire was. I asked him to come watch me spin. He laughed. Figuring it was gonna be some "gay ass raving sh*t." I love the look of shock on peoples' faces as they hear the roar for the first time.

Anyway, are we all pyros? Or are we something more? Just on a question of semantics.

~Zej

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I don't think we're all necessarily pyros; there are a lot of people here who do not spin fire and have no wish to. There are those who spin fire for the noise or the effect, others who just like to watch things burn. Horses, courses and all that.

I'm impressed if your mate got thermite to work. I've found the aluminium tends to oxidise before I can get to it.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

ZejBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
His high school science lab had the pure stuff. I asked the same question because for it to work it's gotta be pretty damn clean.

~Zej

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I reckon everyone has got an innate fascination with fire. I dont know anyone who doesnt like a good campfire/bonfire. Just watching the flames dance in the wind is one of the most calming things in the world.
Im sure not everyone in the world wants to spin fire but have you noticed how many people always want a go when youre spinning??
I dont think every is a pyro but i do think everyone, whether they admit it or not, loves fire!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

o0tigger0ostranger
9 posts

Posted:
my friend .. we are the gods of hell fire .. we play with an element that brings life and takes it .. we can be known as the handler or .. life giver or taker .. muhahahaha .. or just pritty dan good at being a pyro

I am the god of hell fire ... And I bring you FIRE!!!!!!!!!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
hey guys, right i rekon we are pyros, just not pyro-maniacs, useing fire in a safe sensible way (ie not like a pyro-maniac) is no more unsafe than driving a car!

No i my self call me a pryo-techie, i use fire in a specific way to produce a regivered given effect!

what do you rekon?

Step (el-nombrie)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Zej:
Just on a question of semantics.
Answering semantically, Pyromaniacs are very destructive people. They have the compulsion to set anything and everything alight for no reason, and without concern or care for thier safety or that of anyone else. It goes waaaaay beyond a fascination with fire to a serious mental issue.

That being said I can say that most of the people I know from HoP are definately not pyromaniacs. They are too concerned with safety and very aware of everything they do. They create something lovely instead of destroying things arbitrarily.
Personally I just think about it as this, we are artists and athletes, fire is our medium to paint the sky and poi/staves/what have you are our tools of endurance, strength, dexterity, etc.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i can say i'm definately a pyro....had quite the fascination when i was a kid. accidently almost set my friend's house on fire......BUT THAT'S ALL BEHIND ME NOW, I SWEAR!!!!

LOL

but seriously, i have much respect for fire, i know i can't control it, so i'm a big fire safety nut. but it definately fascinates me. i can sit in front of the fireplace or a campfire or in front of burning wicks and watch for hours.

ps...hey tig, nice to see you've joined out lil' community...much love

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

ZejBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
I like Tig's answer . . .I'm not just a pyro . . .I'm good at being a pyro!

~Zej

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
quote:
it's aluminium oxide you want. equally mixed with iron oxide.
It's aluminium powder and iron oxide. The aluminium basically pinches the oxgen from the iron, reducing the iron oxide and oxidizing itself. If both parties are already oxidized the reaction cannot take place.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

o0tigger0ostranger
9 posts

Posted:
lol thanks zej .. and nice to see you too pounce .. my snuggle kitten ... hehe

I am the god of hell fire ... And I bring you FIRE!!!!!!!!!

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I'm genuinely scared of fire. If someone lights a candle I'm the first to put a wide tray under it. But I must admit I enjoyed my first burn (scared the hell out of me, but lots of fun just the same!) I'm hoping poi might slowly help me master this.

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
HAHA tig! i totally forgot about that! hehehe, nookie bear. it still cracks me up! gotta love it.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
i'ver always been very aware of my addiction to fire, from setting up traps involving fire with my toys years ago to just waving my lighters over my fingers... its just something that i feel very comfortable with and feel comfortable manipulating.

as for the pyro part... hmmm.. yeah.. i think i'll go with the notion that i'm not a pyro..... i'm a very good one!!!!

Flipmodiusmember
103 posts

Posted:
i have to say we are all artist who happen to use a common tool, fire. but we all use the fire to create our own masterpiece.

some will understand. -buddah

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
I think we are definately not pyros. not in the way people noramlly mean it at least. I like the "pyrophilia" idea.
There have been times when I've been practising with friends, and other people have walked by and called us pyros. And i have to say it kinda hurt my feelings. I think saying we're pyros misses the point entirely. It leaves out the capacity for art and replaces it with a puerile obsession with mayhem. I don't think most of us aim for entropy and randomness when we spin. Its like calling a painter an artisan.
Although we are all different, and it is shortsighted to assume we all do this for the same reasons.

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmmm fire **drools**
its burny

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night