ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Help me out here guys...
Arsn and I are starting a new circle here at the gold coast on a saturday night...
We want to put up flyers advertising it but we want one of the main focus' to be SAFETY...we dont want any fire breathers because of the fire breathing in the face episode, and Im not too sure as to how to word it so that I dont sound rude...any ideas guys?
I know that I cant control what people do with their art and I DONT want to do that, but after all the dramas at the burleigh circle I want some rules and they will need to be adheared to... no fire breathing and respect for all people in our circle, and the focus is LEARNING none of that yucky ego twirling stuff ( I have been twirling for this long and I can already do this!!!)
what do you reckon...how could we word it to advertise it??

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Thanks so much for your input One wheel dave...(pm) Much appreciated...
ANYONE ELSE?
come on guys I really need some help here

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Malcolm made the important points, I think.

Try to focus on spinning instead of fire. List toys like socks, staffs, tennis balls, etc. You'll get people who are more interested in learning that way, and not just the pyros.

E pluribus unum, baby.

elise_bmember
104 posts

Posted:
just wanted to say it's sounds like a great environment you'd like to create...wish i was close enough to join !!

Catch a Fire-Bob Marley

DruidicDovemember
20 posts

Posted:
yeah, me too. I spend most of my summers in connecticut, and my friends and I have a circle there that is amazing, but I haven't had any other good ones. strangely enough, I love to spin in the snow, but I hate doing it alone, and I want a group. hehe, I guess this ended up being more of a "looking for cirlce" post... anyway, I'm in the Poughkeepsie/Woodstock New York area if anyone wants to spin. Love to hear from ya...

~Dove

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i would recommend having at least 2 sessions a week one during the day and one at night. we have a session at the botanic gardens every saturday afternoon at 2 and its really really wicked for learning new tricks.

try and greet everyone when they come for the first time and let them know what the deal with dunking safety etc is. ask ppl that come regularly to help out and do the same.

be careful where u have it and how u go about advertising it, when i started having drug free twirling sessions here a few ppl kicked up a big fuss on the mailing list about having their personal freedom taken away and not being welcome and blah blah blah. just make it clear that if they want to do it thats fine just dont do it at your session, that doesnt mean you are trying to own or control the fire it means that you are the one making the commitment to be there every week so that ppl have a place to meet your entitled to set the rules so that you feel comfortable being there if others dont like it no one is forcing them to be there. most ppl will totally understand where u are coming from

id recommend setting up a yahoogroup so that its easy to get in contact with everyone if u decide to change the time location etc, especially with this lovely warmer weather ariving. also you can put the no fire breathing spiel and why into the welcome message that ppl recieve when they join the yahoogroup.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
What Malcolm said.
We have fire breathers at our meets.But we encourge all of the fire arts and that is one of them even know we dont support it and most in the group view it as a major risk not worth doing .I feel what makes our little group spiecal
is we have no real rules and no leader we just get togher and have fun.We did have a guy come out one night and did fire breathing with gasoline he was taken off to the side away from everyone and asked ( not told ) never to do that out here with us but he was welcome to walk down the beach away from us and burn his face off if he choose.

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
gasoline = petrol right? how could he fire breath with that would it explode as soon as the fire hit the mist and blow back? like if he has done it b4 shouldnt he be dead or majorly deformed or something?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by ben-ja-men:
gasoline = petrol right? how could he fire breath with that would it explode as soon as the fire hit the mist and blow back? like if he has done it b4 shouldnt he be dead or majorly deformed or something?
I read a book years ago called something like 'memoirs of a sword swallower' which was a true life account of how the author got into American carnival type circus acts in the early part of last century.

It started when he was watching a guy fire breathe with petrol (paraffin wasn't used in those days) and the guy virtually blew his own head off.

So the author offered to learn the ropes and ended up getting into sword swallowing and all the other carny skills.

It had an especially grusome bit involving rat swallowing.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

firedancingfairyenthusiast
201 posts

Posted:
Sounds wonderful, yet quite a big mission to get your ideal outcome to come true! I beleive in you! Maybe you should advertise it as a learning circle, so the emphasis is not on performing as much... cos thats what I think burleighs more like.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
If any ego's Arsn and i can start jumping up and down and say look at me look at me (any more egos everybody would go nut's ). Besides most of those sort of people would be busy drinking and such on a saturday night .

I think your better off useing it as a fire club (swapping tricks and working on moves or performaces comeing up ).

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk