Forums > Social Chat > Muni fitness night riding.

Login/Join to Participate

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
After a couple of months of not riding the uni much, and of getting pretty out of shape, I've decided to kill two birds with one stone with some fitness muni (a 'muni' is an off road unicycle).

Just got back from this evenings outing which was a lot of fun. Night rides are great for speeding around cos the air is cooler and everything seems faster at night.

Sheffield is especially suited to this kind of thing cos, in the part I live in, it's impossible to go more than 100 yards in any direction without encountering a major hill.

I've been noticing the extent to which conrtolling a muni depends upon the midsection, every adjustment of balance goes through there and it's probably one of the best forms of conditioning for that whole area.

Even more so I've been aware of the role of foot sensitivity; you really can feel the road surface and adjust for stuff that the eyes miss. The feet are the connectors between your mind and the wheel, all the control and feedback go through them.

Another good thing about the muni is that it's set up for extremely difficult off road stuff (the kind of terrain suited to a mountain bike), so when bombing down pavements/roads you have sufficient control that you can be 99% certain you're not going to come off, and, the few times a fall occurs you almost always land on the feet.

This is in sharp contrast to my 29" wheel short crank 'speed machine' which, a few weeks back, dumped me on my backside so hard that I couldn't walk for 3 days.

So, to anyone who wants to combine getting fit, learning a new skill and have a lot of fun; I can recomend getting a muni.

I should say that if you're going to ride a unicycle at night you should be careful, as the low light does make riding trickier. The general consensus of muni-ists is that, for protective equipment, a helmet and wrist guards are the bare minimum; this is especially advisable at night.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
you nutter!i mean that in the nicest possible way..i can think of nicer ,easier ways of keeping fit...umm....

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
completely agree, the uni is a great way to exercise, expecially the off road stuff. although people keep on looking at me strangely.... i cant for the life of me work out why!!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Next stop the Kamikaze run at Mommoth Mountain.

I find this image disturbing

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It's almost a fornight since I posted this and embarked on my muni fitness programme, so I thought I'd do an update.

First week went well, I actually felt the improvement in ability to climb hills, and just generally keep the speed up.

A few days in though I developed minor cold symptoms, and it's a bit of a dilema whether to stop a while or carry on through it.

I choose the latter and continued riding, usually for about an hour/day at pretty high level of intensity.

Then the cold blossumed and I had to take a couple of days off.

Since then I got back into it and it's amazing how easy some of the really steep Sheffield hills have become.

Todays afternoon run was so much fun that I went back out for a night ride later.

Verdict at this stage is: -

Fitness Muni = Good

and my legs are turning to steel

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
...and I forgot to mention- bombing around on a unicycle like a maniac, climbing hills that most people would be reluctant to tackle on foot, gives you a drug-like high with none of the bad side effects or expense.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
There's a bloke who started riding his unicycle from Sydney to Melburp today - he's aiming to do 37kms a day for 33 days....

that's what I'd call a nutter

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Is it a myth that unicycles wear your back joints as you're continuously rotating your spine? Just curious.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
dave, do you know anything about or ride unicycle trials? ive seen some people doing it once it looks insanse to say the least...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Eera:
Is it a myth that unicycles wear your back joints as you're continuously rotating your spine? Just curious.
Very unlikely, I've never heard of such damage.

The motion you're talking about is very beneficial for the midsection abdominal and back muscles though.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by oli:
dave, do you know anything about or ride unicycle trials? ive seen some people doing it once it looks insanse to say the least...
Trials is a really skillful branch of unicycling involving riding and jumping over and off obstacles. Often done on the street like skateboarding using stairs etc as obstacles, doing grinds on hand rails etc.

It uses a smaller wheeled uni than muni- 20" with a fat tyre.

I personally don't do it cos I prefer riding fairly long distances and I'm at the kind of age where I don't want to be getting injuries.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32