Forums > Social Chat > Bad news for fire fans?

Login/Join to Participate

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I just followed a link given by Dark Devil on another thread for www.zippotricks.com this used to be a site for tricks/manipulations with zippo lighters, but it's been pressured into closing down.

From https://www.zippotricks.com/
: -

" GAME OVER!
Dear Fellow TrickHeads:
I have some very bad news for you all. For the past couple of months zippotricks.com has been under tremendous scrutiny from various US groups, organizations and even political figures concerning the potential dangers involved with tricking.

Although I personally don't agree with these concerns, we have reached a point where we are left with no other alternative other than to shut zippotricks.com down, effective immediately..."
==================

Might have some implications for us all, especially now spinning has got so popular, and with the accidents involving fire breathing.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Oh the horror!!

I wondered why they would buckle under the pressure like that..Course I wondered just how many tricks you could actually do with a zippo..

Does this mean HOP could be next?
Thank god the site is hosted in NZ..
This countries stupidity can be depressing sometimes..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
OH MY GOD NO! OH DEAR LORD! OH MAN!

That site was soooo god. I loved zippotricks, unfortauntly when my zippobroke i had to send it to bradford for repairs (covered by a lifetime warrenty) so i didn't get to do any tricking for 3 months... (groundmail sucks) so i only remember 3 or 4 of my big tricks i learnt from zippotricks... and now i have to hear from dave that its been closed! oh dear lord no!

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Is this yet another example of the nanny-state treating us like we are three years old. Man, you'd think we do stupid things like whirling bloody great balls of flame around at high speeds, or something.

Someone, somewhere in power has a morbid fear of anyone having fun.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:

Can we have a min's silence!?

Step (el-nombrie)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Why not move the hosting to another country?

the US Govt. may try to police the world, but it can't police all of the net too.

PsyB.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Man I really want to learn zippo tricks now.
Were they cool???

that sucks it getting shut down btw. How did it happen I wonder? Did they threaten them or was some law changed or something...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Found this while looking for tricks.
early pressure

the craic

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Actually, I emailed the guy... He said it got political, and no waver in the world can beat that... but.. ahem... ehay intedhay on a ewnay itesay in hetay earnay uturefay.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
quote:

NFPA calls for end to fire ‘tricks' promotion
‘Zippotricks' exposes public to fire injury and possible death

possible death? from a zippo? The flame on these thing are only a bit bigger then a bic

what are they going to do if they find HOP. I hate the US and there bloody lobby groups. Good thing HOP is hosted in NZ.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Stopping fire tricks?
just let them try,
let all wicks burn,
let staffs/chains turn,
we'll make them cry,
(hitting them with devil sticks)

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by squarefish:
Stopping fire tricks?
just let them try,
let all wicks burn,
let staffs/chains turn,
we'll make them cry,
(hitting them with devil sticks)

lol

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Frost:

possible death? from a zippo? The flame on these thing are only a bit bigger then a bic

Well, the problem with zippo's is that they don't go out to just any gust of wind... if you blow on them like you would a wick, then yes, they'll go out. But if you are doing a trick, sayyy... the teleporter, where the zippo starts in one hand, lights and flys to the second hand in an instant, and you miss the zippo and the lighter drops on a pile of gas soaked rags then they'll go up and if those rags happen to be sitting next to an elderly lady who is more than 6 metres from her walker, and she happens to be huffing naptha then she might die, but if you were playing with a bic that wouldn't happen.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
lol

I guess it could happen but if you were practicing proper fire safety those fuel soaked rags woudn't be there. And you wouldn't be letting grandma huff naptha fumes.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
But what if she really, REALLY LIKES the fumes?
Just you try keeping her away!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Well... you'll never hear me say that the US is perfect... and it does do some really stupid stuff. I think this is definatly in the top ten!

You see, this is the problem. Somebody see something they dont like, they get organised. They do whatever it is they need to do to lobby their complaint, they get support from wierd places, namely people with too much money and are willing to give it out for a tax cut, and then they get into a politicians pocket. Game Over.

Yes it sucks, but here is the thing. Zippotricks.com probably had a good year that (if they had forseen this comming) they could have put an end to the BS. They didnt see it comming, they wernt organised and they got squished.

The cold hard reality of it, now something that is really cool, has been destroyed.

A wise suggestion for Malcolm would be to look around his Gov. and see if anyone is trying anything similer with this site.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
what is it about cool web sites getting shut down as a way of me finding out about them? this is like the 3rd its happened to me this month...... grrrrrr.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Thats kinda like asking, why is it that I only need money when I dont have any?!?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"