Page:
Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
So I have just finished reading a large stack of books that has been long delayed. Now that I'm done, I wish I had more. So I'm hoping that some of my international HoPlike friends might send a little 'round the globe inspiration on your favorite reads! Here are some of my favs of late:

Rolling Thunder Speaks an autobiography
Lord of the Rings (I've read the trilogy again since the final movie will soon be released)
The Ender Series by Orson Scott Card
Treasury of the World's Best Loved Poems
The Endurance by Alfred Lansing
Beyond Imagination by David Copperfield

That's just a few of mine. I can't wait to see what yors are. Help me out, I need to stop playing solitaire and throw myself into yet another good read! Thanks!

may the gods of peace and chaos be with you,
.:~* cage *~:.

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I loved the Ender series as well. Another of my favorites is
A Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
you should read The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. forget anything you saw in the movie (if you saw it)...it pales in comparison

i was also always a fan of the Wrinkle In Time series by Madeline L'Engle

sounds like you're into sci fi? i can ask my best friend for a few suggestions if you'd like. or you can just PM him...his name is casper

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

GrayforthBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
James Clavell who wrote Shogun, has a full series of books about European expansion in the orient. They are amazing stories. Its not a lot to do with history, just the time period, and some of the most recent events that took place around it. So if you like history or not, I think you might like these books.

In this world of tears, you need a sense of humor.

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
I was gonna say Shogun! i love that book.
it was one of the first books i've read that made me really gutted when i finished it! i'm currently in the process of trying to forget it so i can start it again!

I only wanted to be 16... and free

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges.
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip.
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
Compleat Essays by Michel de Montaigne.
Earth by David Brin.
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany.
The General In His Labyrinth by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I'll post more later... I'm an incorrigible book junkie. Books are my crack.

E pluribus unum, baby.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
anything by iain banks, particully the wasp factory or walking on glass, they are so dark, and just brilliantly written, imho.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Polmember
26 posts

Posted:
Lord Dunsany - I've heard he's brilliant but never been able to find anything at all written by him! David Eddings - one of my favourite series is the fantasy series Belgariad - talks about how great Lord Dunsany is.

Wasp factory - eeugh! that was one of the few books i absolutely hated, i quite like dark, but it was just tooooooo black for me, but equally I couldn't stop reading it even though I hated it!

Another favourite? umm, Terry Pratchett is always good for a laugh.

...phobos...member
56 posts

Posted:
I was gonna say a wrnkle in time and shogun as well! But ill also have to say Jean Auel and the clan of the cave bear series...amazing stuff about the prehistoric man and...its just incredible!!! highly recommended series for all you history buffs..PM me for more info

man, it makes you wanna shoot them in the face and beat them with baseball bats, doesnt it?

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Weaveworld and Imajica by Clive Barker. The two most amazing books i have ever read ever in the world ever! I recommend them to anyone who likes books because they will have you enraptured by the first word!

Hmm, what else.... Beloved by Toni Morrison, brilliant book, so dark and so well written.
The Woman in Black by Susan Hill is also damn good!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
Read the Rama series by Arthur C Clarke.
i think its one of the best series i have read. (apart from lord of the rings which is THE best )

1st one is Rendezvous with Rama.

jinx13SILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
I've read many of the books metioned and loved them!!! Here are a few more to consider, Piers Anthony- Incarnations of Immortality series, Alan Dean Foster- Spellsinger series for a laugh, Marion Zimmer Bradley- Mists of Avalon, but the best read I've had so far would be Michael Swanwick- The Iron Dragon's Daughter. I also love anything by Isaac Asimov.

""Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams." - Mary Ellen Kelly"

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
well if we aren't sticking to the whole sci fi/fantasy realm then i have a few more....

-anything by jeannette winterson, but my favorite is gut symmetries
-listen up! voices from the next feminist generation, ed. Barbara Findlen
-the lovely bones, alice sebold (OMG i couldn't put this one down!!!! what happens at the end will just make your jaw drop)
-lucky, alice sebold (her autobiography...she's just a phenomenal writer)
-the vagina monologues, eve ensler
-when rabbit howls, truddie chase (autobiography of a woman with 92 different personalities, written by all the personalities)
-a prayer for owen meany, john irving (it's a monster of a book, but SO worth it)

wow i have so many more, i could just go on and on.
but i won't

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pol:

Wasp factory - eeugh! that was one of the few books i absolutely hated, i quite like dark, but it was just tooooooo black for me, but equally I couldn't stop reading it even though I hated it!

did you not think the end was a work of genius? i mean you cant have seen it coming...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
My favourite reads would have to be:

Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit (I love that story)
Freedom's Landing by Anne Maccafferey
Kilashandra by Anne Maccafferey
The Making of a Mage: Forgotten Realms can't remember the author
Blood, Tears and Sweatsocks Mick Foley's Autobiography
Foley is Good, A continue on from the first Mick Foley book
Ancient Future by Traci Harding

Thats all I can remember that I've read at the moment there are more but my memory is very poor. lol oh well.

XF

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I have a tendency to read out stories from Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors to my friends when we are talking on the phone.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Insanitymember
22 posts

Posted:
I'd have to say my favorite reads to date were:
The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
DragonLance :Chronicles (Dragons of autmn twilight, winter night, and spring dawning) - Margerate Wies and Tracy Hickman
My Enemy the Queen - Victoria Holt
Clear and Present Danger - Tom Clancy
The Vampire Chronicles (Interview with the vampire, The vampire lestat, Queen of the damned etc.) - Anne Rice
The Serpent's Coil - Farley Mowat
The mountain and the Valley - Earnest Buckler

I liked the Endurance too... but i can't say it's on of my favs. But any of those books that I listed I highly recomend, amazing books, and all talented authors.

A feeling that sears my soul,One that burns my mindIt grips my heartAnd breaks my bodyNot madnessOr fearBut one of warmthFor my essenceHas been preservedWithin the golden sanctionOf your heartInsanityDarkness Embrace

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Rozi:
I have a tendency to read out stories from Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors to my friends when we are talking on the phone.
ooh yay! another neil gaiman fan!

yup, that'd be some more good reads.... anything neil gaiman, especially the sandman comics! oooh, and neverwhere!!! i just got that on dvd a&e just released it about a month ago

**giggles**

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Yann Martell's (?) "The Life of Pi"

amazing

GrayforthBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
guys... dont limit yourself to just shogun... taipan, gai-jin, king rat (thats as far as I have gotten) all incredible books, and I really can not decide which is the best one.

In this world of tears, you need a sense of humor.

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
i loved lord of the rings also try the simillarion (sp?) i havent read it yet but i know it goes into background and more details on the LoTR and i also like the book The Giver but i can't remember who it is by right now.

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
Gah!

I love the 'Incarnations' series by Piers Anthony, too!
And Anne McCaffrey is my hero. Absolutely adore her Pern books.
The 'Otherland' series by Tad Williams is very large but excellent books if you're into that type.
Oh! And Tanya Huff. I think that's her name? Good books... Very good books...

Er... Let's see... I think that's it for now, but I'm always reading more...

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
Wow! Much hugz to everyone who gave me ideas for future reads! I keep a list of suggested books and after jotting down most of your favs, I now have over 30 more to keep me busy for a while! Now I'll have something to keep me entertained since the World Series and the NFL have take over my boyfriend's attention for the rest of fall. Maybe I'll crochet him a cute little sweater for subjecting me to that in the first place... He did ask me to teach him poi though, since he is bringing me into his world o' sports.

Now the hard part...choosing which to read first...

peas & luv,
.:~* cage *~:.

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Wyrm - Can't Remember
THe first to books of the neanderthal paralax
The new Jedi order series
Books by RJ Pinroe

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Fitriamember
97 posts

Posted:
Totally agree with the Neverending Story!!! I have read it so many times it is falling apart in my bookshelves.

I also like to read anything by James Patterson.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan is awesome.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Brothers by Bernice Ruebens, it follows 4 generations of Jews from Odessa to Israel, absolutely devastating in places and so uplifting in others. Or The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer, an unusual WW2 story in that it's told from the perspective of a German soldier on campaign in Russia.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
the chronicles of narnia! im seventeen and ive strted reading them again cos they are just so good!
i also love the Willow Tree's Daughter (Pamela Freeman). i kids book, too,but still great! its the first in a trilogy. Windrider is the second and i think the 3rd is the Centre of Magic. (but the 3rd isnt so good!)

but i love lord of the rings

i plan on reading shogun (we have it in our library), but because im at skool i dont have the time.

i also plan on reading Fingerprints of the Gods.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Best ever reads:

The Silmarillion - Tolkien;
It's the history of Middle Earth, how it all came to be. Difficult read, I stopped and started for about 6 months before I got to the end, information overload, but a book you can read again and again and again and still discover something you overlooked the last time.....

The I Ching

The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail - Michael Baignet, Richard Leigh & Henry Lincoln;
Changed the way I thought about everything when I was about 15.... that's around about the time I became a conspiracy theorist....

Recent reads:

Everything by Tolkien (usually read at least once a year)
Reefer Madness - Eric Schlosser
Rogue States - Naom Chomsky
The Good Women of China - Xinran
An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural - James Randi (gotta love that guy)

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Storming Heaven - by Jay Stevens

If there's anything you've ever wanted to know about LSD, and its social implication and effects this is the most comprehensive, accurate and impartial book you'll ever read. And it's nice and big too so will take a while to get through

Let's relight this forum ubblove

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
Good Omens by neil gaiman and terry pratchet!! soooo funny.
currently reading American Gods which is fabulous.
This Perfect Day by Ira Levin
The Once and Future King
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Page: