Forums > Social Chat > Anybody Know about Fred Phelps?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Well in my humble opinion you should. read on:

Phelps To Erect Matthew Shepard Monument
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: October 3, 2003 5:57 p.m. ET

(Casper, Wyoming) Anti-gay preacher Fred Phelps has announced intentions to erect a monument to Matthew Shepard the gay college student brutally murdered five years ago near Laramie.

But, the monument will be no memorial. Phelps says the monument would be 5 to 6 feet tall and made of marble or granite. It would bear a bronze plaque bearing the image of Shepard and have an inscription reading "MATTHEW SHEPARD, Entered Hell October 12, 1998, in Defiance of God's Warning: 'Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is abomination.' Leviticus 18:22."

The monument would be erected in downtown Casper, Shepard's home town.

Phelps has sent details of the monument to the city of Casper city council and there may be nothing the city can do to prevent it.

Phelps said he intends to put up the monument in City Park, already the location of a controversial statue of the Ten Commandments.

The Ten Commandments statue was donated to the city by the Fraternal Order of the Eagles in 1965.

After a court battle over a similar monument in the city of Ogden, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that any city that displays a Ten Commandments monument on public property must also allow monuments espousing the views of other religions or political groups on that same property.

Phelps told Casper council in his letter that if it attempts to prevent him from erecting the homophobic monument he's prepared to go to court.

"That is exactly what I said would happen," said Councilwoman Barb Watters. She said she warned the city when it accepted the Ten Commandments statue that the city risked other monuments advocating anti-Semitism and hatred of other minorities.

''I think the hate language will find a very cold reception in this community,'' councilor Paul Bertoglio said. ''I think this community's backbone is going to come up and say 'We are not going to accept it.'''

The city council is looking at several options, one is fighting Phelps in court, another is moving the Ten Commandments out of the park, and yet another proposal would be to sell the land the park is on.

Phelps says he doesn't care what the city decides. If he is unable to put the statue in City Park he said he will find another location in the city.

During Shepard's funeral members of Phelps' Westoboro Baptist Church demonstrated in front of the chapel.

-end of article-

In response a friend of mine made up his own idea for a memorial to Phelps-

Fred Phelps, entered hell *DATE*, in defiance of Jesus' Teaching: 'Do not judge, or you too will be judged.' Matthew 7:1

Every once and a while I wonder why I don't openly tell people about my sexuality, than I things like this come along and remind me the sad truth about our society.

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
Haha, I would never vandalize anything, although I have, and as a result was chased throught the woods by police at three in the morning. And no im not jokin. Id just hire someone else to do it for me! Haha. And besides. I live nowhere near that town, although that isn't a bad thing. Id rather not be near that man. LOL. And I think Phelps should be scared for his safety. Hear that Phelps? RUN AND HIDE!!!!! MWahahahahahaha. Well thats my best threat I can make at the moment.

Noir_DDELUX

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
quote:
We know vandalism isn't the answer. But it sure is fun to fantasize about!
agreed, I won't deny that.

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
Hey anyone know this guy Phelps' email address? It would make more sense to stop whining about, which is a good thing mind you, and actually tell this guy what we think.

Noir_DDELUX

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Well, I looked up Fred Phelps and found the infamous god hates fags website. Check it out if you want to get angry. Oh, and if you want to get homicidal, check out their memorial to Matthew Shepard . At first I wasn't sure, but I'm now thinking the whole site is Phelps/the Westboro Baptist Church's page. I think they're one in the same. It's a staggaring site, I'm about to listen to one of Phelps sermans.

here's the devil Phelps himself

Non-Https Image Link

oh, also check out the hatemongers site. Also interesting.

[ 09. October 2003, 15:03: Message edited by: Jello ]

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Contact info from Phelps's site.

E pluribus unum, baby.

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
Actually I have a better idea. Let's all go to gay pr0n sites and sign him up for XXX mailing lists...

AlfredSILVER Member
Altyd Brandend
149 posts

Posted:
I am an actor and i have been involved with two theatre companies that did "the laramie project".And i am glad that art is ussed to raise awareness of social issues that people like phelps (note the lowercase) fear.viva life.viva art

ps.
I just listened to one of his sermons...he freaks me out.Dont think he is right in the head.

[ 09. October 2003, 16:37: Message edited by: Alfred ]

Spinning makes my world go round

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
couldnt we erect a statue of fred phelps nearby with an appropriate quote??? any suggestions?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think we all argee that vandolism isn't the right way forward, but how about something a little more subtle.

I'm assuming the plaque is going to be attached to the memorial in some easily maintainable way?

So have another palque made... this time with something a little more suitable as the subscription...

"MATTHEW SHEPARD, Entered Heaven October 12, 1998, "

middle of the night, change the plaque...

no obvious signs of vandolism, and anyone in future reading the palque will get the right message not some rantings of a deranged biggot...

PsyB.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It's things like this that give America such a bad name throughout the rest of the world.
Lacking a little knowledge in the ways of American law would the American Government/State Law Enforcement actually allow this sort of thing to be made and presented in public?!!?!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
Theoretically, yes, because of the court ruling on the Ten Commandments statue. But I'm going to hope that they reverse the ruling or come up with some legality that will not allow this to happen.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Surely that would count as actively and openly supporting oppresion of (minority?) groups and go against equality rights?
Is there actually a bill that supports the ten commandments in the US? Isn't this supposed to be a modern world?!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

940 posts

Posted:
The problem is that freedom of speech includes the right to say offensive things that we don't want to hear.

If you wanted to suppress the sign, you'd have to argue that it falls under one of the exceptions to the First Amendment - for example, the "fighting words" exception or the "incitement to crime" exception. Look how it's already inciting talk of crime on our parts - it's an easy argument to make.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Freedom of Speach is definitly a tricky issue, the fact that Phelps preaches what he does is "fine" with me. I may not like it but thats not the point. However what he's proposing with this monument is crossing the line. It can only serve to hurt. Another problem I have is that the presidency only seems to support that mode of thinking. Sure Bush doesn't say God hates fags, but all his actions indicate he on that side of the fence.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
yes i agree that a new, more appropriate plaque instead of the other one would be good. and yes, that is considered vandalism.

vandalism: willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property

defacement: to mar the external appearance of : injure by effacing significant details

so, considering that a plaque in favor of matthew shepard would be willfully "marring" the appearance of it according to dumba** Phelps, then we would be vandalizing it.

so ya, i'm still in favor of vandalism in this case

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
I dunno if this is a good idea, but how about we start a petition to stop the erection of this statue? With enough people against it, can't the state have it taken down? It will at least publically show the protest to this thing. Damn it. And his website is GOD HATES FAGS? Well, ya know what? I HATE PHELPS! I really hope nobody is takin this guy seriously, but there is a better chance that some wackos are. Sad... But I do like the change the plaque idea. Thats good. God, haha, I just remembered a joke i saw on tv. It had rowan Atkinson as the devil, and he was passing people through to hell. He was like, ok all the murderers over there, all the rapists over there, and all the christians over there. Seems like the jews WERE right, you WERE wrong. I hope its like, seems that god WAS tolerant, and you are an asshole Mr. Phelps. Please, over there with the murderers. Haha, oh yes. But a petition? Would anyone help me start that?

Noir_DDELUX

caniffisSILVER Member
60 posts

Posted:
Some of you guys need to go back and have a look at my fist post, i talked about changing the plak and also what the new plak should say.

have better idea though the law i believe over in the states is that any religiou sign display can be shown right!

well lets make every possible stautue to suport and to be against each cast creed and religion and put the next to each other in the park.

thsi will show everyone both sides to predudice and hopefully also show that things are never what we think.

if you do them all no one can complain especially if both views are shown and if there is the freedom of speach allowed.

we must stop the freedom of speach even if it is by A holes like this so called men of god, but instaed enbrace it, and make bigatry useless in the face of openness!

love man don't hate, understand don't judge, be open not closed

What you don't know won't hurt you? well i intend to get to know as much as possible so that i can make sure no one else has to so they carn't get hurt.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by caniffis:

...well lets make every possible stautue to suport and to be against each cast creed and religion and put the next to each other in the park...

You could make them as special robot statues that can move and fight each other, then eveyone can go along and see the consequences of squabbling about creeds and doctrines.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

940 posts

Posted:
The City Council voted to not allow Phelps's "memorial". They literally told Phelps that he wasn't welcome there. He intends to bring suit. Read more here.

E pluribus unum, baby.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
YAY!!!!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Flipmodiusmember
103 posts

Posted:
i'm all for takeing this statue and shoving it up the "devil's" darker areas all in one piece. by the way i didn't here any one call the spare bed just the couch. so dibbs on the bed.

some will understand. -buddah

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know what? This Phelps guy isn't a Christian. He's mentally ill. But for some reason, when someone who is mentally ill hides their illness behind religion, it's seen as "freedom of speech" and he's given media coverage.

Fact is that his beliefs are way out of line with mainstream Christianity and that is a defining symptom of mental illness.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Lïghtnïng:
Fact is that his beliefs are way out of line with mainstream Christianity and that is a defining symptom of mental illness.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Page: