Forums > Social Chat > The male pill - at last

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
implant so you guys don't forget

Since the 1950's it has been down to the female of the species.

I totally feel that this should empower men into being able to control their seed.. how many stories do you here when people have a one night stand and a babbie comes of it.. now the guys have a choice in the matter..

but how many men would take it? and would they only have it implanted when they are in stable relationships?

whats your thoughts guys? I know my fella would.

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hummm... I've never really liked the idea of the female pill tbh. I don't disagree with it or vehemently disapprove I've just seen it do a lot of physical and emotional damage to people I care about deeply, from that point on I've always prefered to used condoms.

You can still have the intimacy of a long term relationship if your using condoms in your sex life, and once you get used to them you can put them on without ruining the mood. One reason that many people use not to use them.

But if a couple really decide they don't want to use protection other than to hinder pregnancy then I think it's a good thing. it shares the responsibility between the partnership.

If my (theoretical) gf asked me to try it I certainly would. But I'd be weary of the side effects if there anything like those possible from Dianette or other contraceptive pills.

For one night stands I think its really bad. would you trust a guy who swears to you he had his implant only 3 days ago?!

Just my thoughts though.

PsyB.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Yes!!!! Finally!!!!!

Glad something has been developed for the men to take instead of women worrying about it

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I would take it, but only if I was in a relationship. I don't like the idea of screwning with my bodies natural chemical more than I have to.

Plus if you were outside a relationship you should be using condoms for other reasons besides pregnancy me thinks (even though they suck...and nobody can tell otherwise )

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
My Girlfriend is on the Pill and is allergic to the lubricants in condoms so I cant use them during sex

I would definatley consider taking the male pill/injections as I do not want any children (yet).

My only concerns is that it has only been tested on 55 men and that is not a very big test on it. I think id wait until i hear many more sucess stories before I take the decision to take it

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

Riamember
114 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmmmmm it seems like a really good thing and i would love to stop taking the pill, but i would'nt want him to have something put in that cant be taken out and what if any would be the side affects?
Guess thats the same as the pill but thats been around for a long time now this i'm guessing is very new.
As for one nightstands you would be totally stupid not to use a condom! pills and implants dont stop STD's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, I would happily have an implant 'cos the less chance of an accident happening the better!

Although this looks like it works by increasing testosterone levels. Apart from the potentially bad effects this can have, do men really need more testosterone pumping round their bodies???

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Psylent_BoB:

You can still have the intimacy of a long term relationship if your using condoms in your sex life, and once you get used to them you can put them on without ruining the mood. One reason that many people use not to use them.

This is true yes, but some people I know are allergic to the material found in condoms. That is another reason why people will not use condoms.

I think even if guys had birth control that doesn't mean that women should let their guard down either. Especially if they are into one night stands. Don't ever believe what somebody says about being on birth control...This is for anyone.

I personally would still remain on my shot and would try and get my bf to take a form of birth control also. Just to be safe and not worry about getting pregnant. I don't ever plan on having kids and neither does my bf.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I heard you can actually go into anaphalactic shock from the latex / lubricants in condoms...!
ceratinly not something to improve the mood...

but yeah, there are very valid reasons for not using condoms, I just picked the first random reason that came into my head...

I have to agree that is is nice to not use them with someone you are really close to though, and I think as an added fail safe the male implant will be a good thing, I'd consider it even if I was using condoms as friends have got pregnant through breakages. And I'm certainly not ready for a littleun, my m8's can do that and I'll borrow theirs!

And if your only using contraception to stop pregnancy, you can both go on the pill and increase your protection. Works all round...

I'd like to see some more wide spread studies though... As BigDav pointed out, 55 is a bit small for a clinical trial.

PsyB.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
interesting replies..

I for one and allergic to latex ..

my comment about one night stands was from a male point of view. I know there are guys out there who do make a habit of one night stands - I don't personally know any of them, and hope that none are present on HoP- but every culture has them. Alot don't care about STD's and don't bother with protection.. this is bad and totally the wrong attitude.. so will they take this to stop the baby batter erm doing it's thing? you know have a little bit more responsiblity towards possible future CSA (child support agency) bills.. a girl from work says her friend has just been provided with a bill for the last 5 years - he didn't even know he had a kid.. bet he wishes he was on the implant now..

I agree with the waryness of more testoterone rushing thru your bodies.. geez.. more agreesion and assertiveness? I'd totally have to check out the small print before I'd let me fella have it.

I've been on the pill on and off since I was 17 - that's 10 years.. and yeah it does totally f*ck me up.. so I'm looking forward to an opertunaty to just be normal. No mood swings, no depression, no feeling absolutly out of control.. no mess, no fuss..

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I read this this morning so my memory may be hazy but sperm as well as testosterone production is stopped by the injections and the testosterone implant is to replace the testosterone which stops getting produced by the injections.

As an aside there are now non-latex condoms....'durex avanti' but they are very expensive (7 euros for 2 ) but are far preferable to any latex condom whether you are allergic to latex or not...

My girlfriend doesn't want to go on the pill cause she thinks it's messing with her body chemically or something...not my understanding of what it does but I understand what she's saying...

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
we should campaing to bring down the price.. they are about £7 here for 3.. ouch!

£35 in a weekend.. tee hee hee..

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
*eek*

going off the pill has wreaked havoc on my cycle and mood ...

on the pill, the hormones present mimic pregnancy for most of your cycle and prevent eggs from developing and ovulating.

now that my eggs ARE developing and ovulating ... watch OUT. my PMS is far worse now. the cramping is awful. and my cycle is obviously not as predictable. ugh!

but after 13 years, it was time to let my body just be itself instead of manipulating the hormones ...

condoms:

(hint 1)
latex condoms stop disease. use the kind withOUT the spermicide or the lubricant and just get a good bottle of waterbased or silicone base lubricant. i discovered far too late the joys of a bottle of lube ... ahem. the spermicide is what irritates most women ... not the latex, so this should solve a problem for lots.

(hint 2)
also do NOT use lotion or petroleum jelly for lubrication ... it eats through condoms and makes them break (or develop holes if they don't break).

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Im more interested in the possibility of microscopic valves so you can have a vesectomy which you can turn on and off.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
whatever medical technology firm you start up ... can i have 1st dibs on the IPO???

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
Unless the side effects are life threatening, guys should buck up and get on BC. There is no birth control with zero side effects, and women have been dealing with them for decades. Lose a little sex drive? So did we. Gain some weight? Yeah we went through that. Hormones on the fritz? Deal. I still plan on taking BC whether I'm getting play regularly or not, since it has the positive effects of making my period regular and controlling my acne. I won't leave it up to anyone to ensure that my body is safe from pregnancy. After this stuff is released with a stamp of approval on it, though, I expect my significant other to be my backup protection against that .1% chance. My BC, his BC, and a condom will make for a nice combination.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
i'd use it. just to guarentee no suprises with Kazeko's BC pills not working.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
I'd use it if I needed to...... fortunately I had a vasectomy.

So much fire, so little body hair...

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Hey people, there is such a thing as polyeurothane condoms these days you know (as BaaBaa said). Latex is not your only option, so you don't have that excuse. And you can get unlubricated condoms as well and apply your own astroglide or whatever you aren't allergic to, so that excuse is out too (as KristieEB mentioned).

wrap that wrascle! at least until you are in a mutually trusting relationship. And if you are so indescrete as to fool around on your partner, at least have the respect to protect them by making absolutely and scupulously sure there is condom involved!!!

MisStix - if you are having those symptoms while you are on the pill, find a different kind of pill, and maybe a different gyno if you must. The symptoms you listed are the very things the pill is supposed to help releive when properly administered. You are probably on type with too much estrogen for your particular body. you shouldn't have to suffer like that.

as far as the weight gain issue - there is no statistical evidence that the modern version of the female pill (which is less estrogen heavy) causes this (in the long term).

Ok, now that I am through with my usual technical babble, my answer to the original post:

theoretically I would love to be in charge of my own birth control. frankly, I have a lot of trust issues due to circumstances in previous relationships.

That said, I am wary of anything new. I would want to see a LOT more clinical evidence on the effectiveness of the male pill before I put my faith in it. I also need to see some more long term studies into side effects. I want kids someday, and I don't want to find that I'm shooting blanks when that days comes. I would almost certainly use the male pill intermitantly, but not constantly until I heard a lot more about this.

I have seriously considered a vasectomy, as the reversal rates are quite favorable in case I ever do find the right woman to raise a family with. Perhaps an additional deposit in some lab's freezer system would be a good backup, just in case I turn out to be one of those 10% (or whatever the latest %s are) the proceedure winds up being irreversable on.

I think if someone I cared for seriously asked me to take charge of the long term birth control issue, I'd pick the vasectomy option at this point.

which leads me to ask Zoltar: what are the pros and cons that you have found? do you intend to have kids someday? do you already have kids and don't intend to have more? actually, I'd like to hear just about anything you have to say on the subject, including what the vesectomy proceedure was like. Please PM me if you don't feel comfortable discussing it on this thread.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Vanize - if only it were that simple.. without going into too much detail.. I've been on about 7 different pills in the last 10 years..

the one I'm on now doens't make me psycotic.. nor does it make me bleed, or cry at the thought of anything small.. my god I've been thru it all.. and I'm happy with the side effects I have now. Still I feel much better when I'm not on it.. but needs must.. I've been there too often.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I personally would not trust anyone apart from myself with contraception. If I've swallowed it (in a manner of speaking) then I can pretty much guarantee I'm not going to be ovulating, otherwise I'm not going to take it on face value from any man that's he's got some contrceptive thing going. Maybe if I had a regular bloke, but as I don't, not a chance.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Side effects of male pill increased sex drive apparently Sweet!!

I've only been on 2 different pill and been sick as a dog on both of them and come off again. Very nasty!

Did you know the female body is apparently capable of giving birth to 35 babies in her lifetime!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
The only reason that the womens pill was(is) so poular was that becuase when it was invented technology and knowledge was far more limited that it is now. It is much easier to use hormones to trick a womans body into thinking it is pregnant thus stopping the release of eggs (that females are born with) than to use hormones to stop the continuous production of sperm. The side effects of stopping the testicles producing sperm can be seen by all the transexuals we see with big ole b*tch tits as it traditionally took massive doses of estrogen (female hormone.
Females have a natural process to stop releasing the eggs they are born with where as men have no natural process to stop the continuous production of sperm.
By no means is it a method of controlling women or enforcing them to take responsibility for birth control and it's quite offensive to say so when knowledge on the subject is obviously lacking! And they only discoverd this male pill accidently during medical tests of combining various drugs for other means.

I think it is a good idea but the guy I saw on TV talking about it woulf only say 'no major side effects' and wouldn't comment on the so called 'minor' side affects. I just hope it doesn't lead to yet more problems with STD infections etc as folk may decide the condom isn't as important anymore.

that's my two cents, laters

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Custom Bug:
By no means is it a method of controlling women or enforcing them to take responsibility for birth control and it's quite offensive to say so when knowledge on the subject is obviously lacking
Just read my post back to myself and realised it sounds like I was saying people here at HOP were saying the above, I only meant it as a generalisation of what's been said to me in the past incase anyone gets the wrong idea

TTFN

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
I have something I would like to know...

When ever the male pill goes out on the market, when using it, your body stops producting sperm. OK that part is cool! But what worries me, does that mean that you are unable to ejaculate?

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Don't think so. I think such stuff has many sources and ingredients or something that's my scientific opinion of course.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
No,

Sperm is only a small % of the ejaculate the rest is water and mucus to protect your little fella's from her. I mean that in the nicest possible way of course...

So even if you aren't producing the goods you still get a result, as it were...

I remember reading some research that said they had discovered three distinctive types, or species if you will, of sperm.

One would swim ahead as far as possible and try and fertilise the egg, another would hang around in the womb and cervix waiting to attack other sperm that came along, and the rest kinda sat in a big clump at the neck of the cervix stoping more sperm getting in... kind of a protect your investment idea...

Don't know why but when reading it I kept getting images of the deathstar, and all these little sperm attacking in formation...

PsyB.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Now for more science questions....is sperm production related to Testosterone production? Would stopping one stop the other?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
mistix - sorry to hear your body is so sensitive. I know it sucks, having had a couple girlfriends who took forever to find the right dosage of the pill and having to suffer though their discomfort with them. i actually developed sympathetic cramps when living with one of them. but I knew she was worse off than me, so I tried to keep my mouth shut.

guys still ejaculate even after a vasectomy, so no worries on that account! (unless you were hoping for an orgasm without the mess???)

eera - I totally know what you are saying about not trusting someone else to take care of birth control unless you are in a real & trusting relationship. That is the main reason I'd like to see a male pill developed.

I had a girlfriend once who suddenly got it into her head that she wanted a baby. I got suspicious about this and started keeping track of her pills, and sure enough she quit taking them within the week without bothering to tell me (actually, I'm suprised she didn't think to at least pop them out of the package daily and toss them, but I guess she underestimated my paranoia). We broke up over that one (and a few other issues, like her trying to crack my head open with a high heel shoe). She got pregnant within a month of me leaving her, and I'm willing to bet that bloke thought she was on the pill too.

Now I am sure I've said far too much, but my point is, not all "accidents" are accidents. While most women are all in favor of avoiding unplanned pregnancies, I still very much like the idea of being in control of when I become a parent. I intend to do the best possible job I can with that and want to be sure I have the right partner for it.

-v-

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
maturation of sperm depends on testosterone ... however, it seems that this pill INCREASES the testosterone production while decreasing sperm production. interesting.

i am actually very impressed. this crowd seems very well informed compared to many folks i run into in the US.

keep control of your bodies people! it great to see so many taking responsibility for your own exposure to pregnancy and stds. you really never know whether the other person is lying. i am a great judge of character and i am amazed at how often i am fooled ...

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I think (but am not sure) the effect they are going for here is that if you hit the male body with enough outside testosterone, it quits producing its own to compensate. And while naturally produced testosterone is probably directed towards purposes like sperm production (probably no coincidence that testostorone and sperm are produced in the same area), the suplimental hormone is not because....

...either whatever mechanism monitors your bodies testosterone level and supplies the information to regulate it is not in the same part of the body where it is actually produced and sperm are manufactured, making the level in the production region too low since that is normally the source,...

...or the substitute testosterone is not quite right to enable sperm production/maturation, but close enough to correct to fool the monitoring system,...

...or something else entirely.

-v-

Page: