Forums > Social Chat > Spinning in headphones

Login/Join to Participate

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Total posts: 643
Posted:I finally gave in and got myself an MP3 player...

and something wierd has happened to me when i listen to music on headphones... it all starts laying itself out in my head as combinations and patterns of poi moves! Oddly including ones I can't do but now have more motivation to pin down...

When did that happen eh? Do you spin with/without headphones? Did it change how you spin?

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete Topic

vanize
vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3899
Posted:yeah, I know what you are saying. I don't spin with headphones, but with a decent stereo system and enough volume to *really* hear the music (and the right mood), something similar happens to me (especially if I am listening to music as I am falling asleep - of course 80% of those half-sleep imagined moves are probably impossible).

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Delete

GlowBug
GlowBug

Total posts: 19
Posted:Its rythm you know, and adrenaline just kicks in!
Isn't music great...

Just because i'm norwegian doesn't mean that i have a moose and a big ice rock in my bakcyard...

Delete

Ria
Total posts: 114
Posted:Music really helps! Poi make me happy but the right music, nice and loud in me headphones and poi!! its wonderful!

Delete

Jello
ambiguous
Total posts: 646
Posted:In the beginning I could only respond to music with poi, I never liked to dance until recently and now I finally have the courage to make a fool of myself and get down. But I still enjoy doing poi to the music.

Delete

pounce
pounce

All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
Total posts: 9831
Posted:usually when i'm doing poi i'm with friend and we have the stereo cranked up, or i'm at a club with the music going there. but lately since i moved and am needing a place to practice, and my living room just isn't that good of a place, and i can't exactly crank up my stereo and practice outside cause my neighbors would get mad (i live in an apt), i've been putting on my headphones and going outside to the putting green on the property. i realized it's quite awesome cause i also don't have to deal with the noise of my flags (i use them for practice usually) over the music.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Delete

LetumLux
Total posts: 57
Posted:I usually spin with headphones due to an inability to use a stereo system (lack of one, noise complaints and the like.) I have a sort of dire need for music, and tend to go marginally insane if I'm without it for weeks. Music sets a sort of pace for poi, which makes it a natural union. Few people will dispute that for the majority, I think.

What kind of headphones does everyone use, anyway? I had to use the little ear plug things that hurt after too long and have the tendency to fall out... ::grumble::

There really is no explanation for this painful phenomenon. I passed out cold. Then I died. - Ach Mein Gott, issue 1.

The lurker formerly known as LollipopSpider.

Delete

Pink...?
Pink...?

Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
Total posts: 6140
Posted:I used to practise with headphones on and it helped so much.
I dont know what it is, but it just makes you want to spin.

Now whenever i go out with headphones on my hands start to involuntarily move like i'm spinning.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Delete

mech
mech

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 6207
Posted:i tend not to spin in fones, pos because i get worried about teh cable, but mianly cos i aint got anymusic i find really nice to listen too while spinning, not sure why, need some mellow stuff, and i del'ed most of my mellow stuuf and binned it, again not sure why!

OH well

happy days

Step (el-nombrie)

Delete

telic
I don't want a title.

Total posts: 940
Posted:Pink Poi: I do that, too! People give me funny looks when I walk down the street like that.

When I actually spin, though, I always end up hitting the cable with my poi and yanking the headphones out.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Delete

DeepSoulSheep
DeepSoulSheep

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 2617
Posted:put the cable under your t-shirt and then out your neck hole and then in your ears, that way you won't hit it....

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Delete

vanize
vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:I can't stand wearing a shirt when I spin!
what the heck am I supposed to do?!?

(ignore me - I'm just being difficult . the statement was true though).

-v-

Delete

DeepSoulSheep
DeepSoulSheep

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 2617
Posted:In that case try cellotape the thing to your skin.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Delete

frostypaw
Great balls of fire
Total posts: 643
Posted:quote:Now whenever i go out with headphones on my hands start to involuntarily move like i'm spinning.hehe yeah i do that too - there's something really embarrasing about that eh

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

vanize
vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:Sadist!

-v-

Delete

Cantus
Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity
Total posts: 15965
Posted:quote:Originally posted by vanize:
I can't stand wearing a shirt when I spin!
what the heck am I supposed to do?!?

(ignore me - I'm just being difficult . the statement was true though). I tend to run the cable up through a belt loop (or similar) and up through my nipple ring to keep it out of the way. Any excess cable I try to wrap round the player in my pocket. The uppy-downy-volume control thing I clip on my necklace. That way everything is mostly out of the way.

Probably no help to you but it's what i do.....

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

soldari
soldari

busy-tofu!
Total posts: 133
Posted:Spinning with headphones is definately great (as long as there's music palying). Plus they keep your ears warm when it's cold outside

I find the music releases something almost magic and very connected with movement.

And if you don't have nipple piercings (or if you wear barbells cause they're cooler) to hold your cable and don't want to wear a shirt, remember that duct-tape holds the world together . As for the pain you get from removing said duct-tape: it's nothing compared to getting your nipples pierced and is a small price to pay for spinning shirtless with headphones...

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

Delete

Achluophobia
Magical Sock Dancer
Total posts: 255
Posted:Yup, spinning with head phones is great. I've got a Mini disk player, nice and compact, just need to get some more comfortable ear phones for it.

Delete

vanize
vanize

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:Ok C@ntus - you cracked me up with the nipple ring headphone wire retainer trick!

-v-

Delete

pounce
pounce

All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
Total posts: 9831
Posted:quote:Originally posted by C@ntus:
I tend to run the cable up through a belt loop (or similar) and up through my nipple ring to keep it out of the way. [/QB]ok what if u still catch the cable? OUCH!!!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Delete

Dentrassi
Dentrassi

ZORT!
Total posts: 3044
Posted:the roar of burning kersone is the only music i need......

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Delete

mech
mech

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 6207
Posted:as some of you know (or some of the people on the boards know) i spin in a 118 118 running shirt, so i run my cable from my pocket up my back to behind my head, and dependent upon what headphones i am wearing, ill just either wrap them roud may ear id in mearing in-ear ones, or just shove them on if im wearing by big DJ phones!

Step (el-nombrie)

Delete