Forums > Social Chat > So, the big event was not so big..

Login/Join to Participate

Cyberstarmember
5 posts

Posted:
So, we (and by 'we' I mean me a few friends (originalsmit) etc) held a small get-together on sat night in Nottingham - I think alot more people were expected and aside from our usual gathering of friends, only about 4 random people showed up - mildly disappointing by anyones standard. Anyway, we made a good go of the night despite it being freezing cold (that's England for ya), and it worked out ok, got alot of footage of fire poi and some excellent fire breathing by Owen whose name deserves to be mentioned here, so altogether it was ok, and hopefully some footage will soon be posted on here for you all to see.

Now, I haven't yet had a go at fire poi myself, I'm just getting to grips with normal poi, and altho I have the basics, I'm not too confident with the whole fire experience just yet. This is something I would love to try, but every time I think about it there are always a load of people around watching and it puts me off - there's nothing I want less than to f**k up in front of a load of people... now call me a coward if you will, but I just get scared of making a fool of myself.. despite the hard front I might put on. Can anyone else relate to this?

Anyway, we should be having another gathering in a few weeks but I (and I'm sure a member that goes by the name of originalsmit) will keep you posted as to when and where, in case anyone fancies coming along for a bit.

C'ya.

CyberStar :love:

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Sorry to hear about the no show... I'm from not too far away, tell me when you have the next one I'd like to make it. I think I'm at the same stage as you too, just got the basics and am kinda freaked by attempting fire in front of too many people but would love to try it! So tell me when

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Don't be disheartened by small numbers- at Sheffield PIP the last one was attended by (at a guess) 25-30 people, but sometimes there's been four people.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Onewheeldave from sheffield? Is there anything exciting happening the weekend of the 25th up there? I'm visting my sis at uni and even though I will prob have a great time anyhow it would be great if i could suggest places we could go to, to a sheffieldian

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
the last clapham had 7 for most of the day.

poi people generally seem to get scared at the slightest bit of rain/cold

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ive applied to nottigham uni, so in a few years, i may be able to attend a gathering in nottingham untill then keep it going.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Cyberstar:
I'm not too confident with the whole fire experience just yet.

- there's nothing I want less than to f**k up in front of a load of people... now call me a coward if you will, but I just get scared of making a fool of myself.. despite the hard front I might put on. Can anyone else relate to this?

I completely relate. I screw up more than ever when doing fire in front of people (besides my lovely father, who spots me so I can practice in the driveway). I've only done fire a few times so I'm not entirely comfortable with it yet, and having people watch me just makes me less comfortable, and the more uncomfortable I get the more hair I singe off my arms.

But I do think you just have to do it to become more comfortable, sometimes. Last week I was too nervous to light up in front of people, and Dan (not on HoP) told me that he'd make a fool of himself with me, and we burned together and it was a lousy show but loads of fun. Of course, the crowd started shouting "Bigger! Bigger!" at me... but it was with love. I think.

E pluribus unum, baby.

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
am i ther only one round these parts who just started fire as soon as they got the basics of poi sorted? i titaly wasn;t put off by it or anythign. i think i'm prolly better then i'm fireed up anyway...

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
It's more the audience than the fire that's scary, I think. It's just that it's less visible when I get nervous and mess up with socks.

E pluribus unum, baby.