onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Robin of Sherwood.

Does anybody remember this Saturday afternoon 1980's drama?

I've just obtained series one on video from amazon.com and been on a nostalgia trip.

This was such an amazing series, by far the best of all the attempts to portray the Robin hood legend; so I thought it deserved a thread on HOP.

Why was it so good?

Mainly the atmosphere created by a combination of the forest location, decent storylines and the synth/folk background music by Clannad.

The actors included Michael Praed as Robin, Ray Winstone as Will Scarlet and Judi Trott as Maid Marion.

And it had a Shaman (Herne); way ahead of its time.

I think it was a major influence in my life and had the same kind of magic and mystery that poi and staff hold for me now.

To any spinner who hasn't seen it, if you like atmoshere, romance, heroism, magic and trees, you should seriously consider getting hold of it.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I LOVED that show

One summer my sisters and some neighbours of ours played Robin Hood in local woods which we renamed 'Sherbet Forest' - a nod to our love of Dib dabs and other sugary tooth rotting sweets!

That summer we also played lots of Uno and 'Thorn in My Side' was playing on the radio (along with lots of other crap I have blocked out'

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Heh.

I have the series on dvd.

Nasir rocks!

Raph

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
All i can remember is that i loved it when i was little, if i was a good little girl i was allowed to stay up and watch it. I only remember that Herne the Hunter used to frighten me. Big pointy antlers and all....

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by )spanner(:
Is this the same version with Maureen Lipman's children, Adam and Amy, acting?

Clannad's music is beautiful

I'm not aware of them making an appearance, but they may have done- what characters did they play?

Clannad were an excellent choice to provide the music, it was a real contribution to the atmosphere of the thing.

I should say that I was thinking of the original two series; after that they switched lead actors and Sean Connery took over the role of 'Robin'.

It was still an ok series, but nowhere near the standard of the first two.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i remember watching it when i was little and loving it

it was sad when the killed off robin..i seem to remember, but then they got jason connery so i obviously can't clearly remember what happened..

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by mrFlibble:
i remember watching it when i was little and loving it

it was sad when the killed off robin..i seem to remember, but then they got jason connery so i obviously can't clearly remember what happened..

Michael Praed wanted to leave so the writers took advantage of the fact that historically there were two candidates for who Robin Hood was.

One version said he was a peasants son, the other that he was a noblemans son.

When the character was killed off, Jason Connery came in as a noblemans son and took over.

The episode where the first Robin gets killed is one of my favourites, really well written with an extra dose of atmosheric Clannad; and it conveys really well that death isn't necessarily a negative thing to be feared.

Trapped on a hill, he holds off the Sherrifs men with a longbow, ensuring that Marion and his brother escape.

Down to his last arrow, he draws his bow and fires it into the sky as the sun sets behind him (cue Clannad), then calmly waits to be killed by 30 crossbow bolts.

[ 02. October 2003, 08:57: Message edited by: onewheeldave ]

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
ah yeah trapped on the hill holding off the bad guys till he runs out of arrows. i remember that bit. very sad