Forums > Social Chat > Is there a place where the best of the best go?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I'm curious, of course, cause I want to be one of them. Even if I weren't good enough, I think I would learn a lot from just watching them spin. It kind of sucks to live in california though, I havent seen anyone better then me yet, the ones that were I've surpassed and the ones that are out there I haven't met yet. I spin at raves to get out there and do what I have grown to love but I just want to have my mind blown for once. I think I desearve to watch someone and feel like a little kid in aww. Eric------------------If a nuclear bomb went off, we'de all be giant glowstix, think about it, spinning with your two best friends would have a whole new meaning.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Angel: I have always just used shoe-strings, not too thin (tangle easy) and not too thick (wraps too slow), and just tied a glowstick on one end and wrap the string around my hand until I hit the desired length. Pretty much anything will work, though. I'm going to try to put something together that has washers or some sort of heavy key-ring type attachment for added weight. Also, I've seen some people cut the string to their desired length and attach glowsticks on both ends, using 1 as a handle. I, myself, even tried to go out and get some cable but it ended up being way too heavy and I had to spin it quick to keep the cable straight (it had a natural bend in it when it wasn't being spun). Wraps w/ the cable were 100% badass, though. Maybe a cable->string hybrid for good weight + ease-of-wraps. smile Just experiment and figure out what your confortable with.Kosmik: They just tend to find a way to spin out of control a lot. There isn't anything that I can do w/ poi that I can't with a sticks on strings, it is just that there are things that I can do 99% w/ poi that I can only do 80% with strings. I don't really know how to describe it... just pick up a pair and see for yourself. There is basically no feedback on the line of the string. With poi I can tell where they are with my eyes closed just by the weight and position of my hand, w/ sticks you have to do it all by instinct almost... you don't push it through the spin, rather you move your arm in the pattern you want it to move and it spins for you sort of. Not just that but you have to be a couple steps ahead of the game *always* because in order to keep the spin perpetuate with such a light weight load you have to spin it pretty fast.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
hey angel.Just like lamar said...laces are an easy fix, quick and cheap. Id pick up a set of laces and sticks at wallmart on a way to a rave. One thing about the laces, make sure they are the round laces. Flat laces flap as you spin them and cause them to make a very annoying sound, and make the sticks travel untrue.Also, i just tie a fat knot on the end and slip the other end of the lace through the hole so it catches on the end. Less hassle & sometimes the laces will cut through the plastic when tied through the hole on the stick. BUTT tieing the knott only works if the laces are made of a sterner material. I had an experience where i bought some soft white laces, because they look like giant discs in a black light, but they were soft material. When i spun them too fast, i shot one off the end about 30' in the air about 100 feet away..<>Spining with Zunis or Practice POI is like LAMAR descibed, because you can feel where they are because of the weight. With the sticks you have to pay attention to the paths of the light. but i feel, with glowsticks, you can keep formations tighter cause they are thin, and you can spin them hella-fast, as well as very close to your body. This looks pretty bad-ass, but if ..or rather when..you hit yourself, it is gonna hurt. You can do the same moves, just with the sticks your timming is so much different, especially combinning alot of body movement with the spinning.Plus with the sticks, people tend to spin them fast because they are so light, and those damn things will just keep accelerating. Its easy to get carried away...im going off about the sticks....Also when spinning with laces, you will usually grip the string between your thumb and index finger, and with practice Poi, you have a strap that usually comes bewtween the index and the middle finger. This took me forever to get use to when i started doing the Zuni's. It allows you to pull off some moves a little easier because of the positioning on the hand. I got so use to the strap that now I just unclip my zunis off and clip the hook through the hole on Glowstick.i think thats mostly everthing....Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi folks!I just found this chat board and skimming through it saw some pretty heated debate (resolved... whew!) as well as some generally good advice.I've been spinning since Nov. '01 and started with glowsticks; but with the intention of learning to do it with fire. About three months ago I started with fire and although heavier, I found them much more predictable than glowstix. One thing, however, was if I used my fire-chains with the glowstix I got all the necessary weight and the added control of my leather finger-nooses. I don't use cable though, I use ball-chain.... like the kind of chain they attach pens to tables with at the bank, only lots burlier. Check out www.ballchain.comI am pretty good in comparison with everyone I've danced with (raves, fire gatherings, etc.) but look forward to being humbled this year at Burningman. If any of you poi-tois haven't been to B-man, get your butts out there!! They ain't nothin' like it, baby!Hey, what're you all using for fuel? I've used kerosene (orange, good flame, lasts a while but smoky and stinky), White gas (burns hotter but lower flame, generally white to blue, evaporates fairly quickly but no smoke and little smell), alchohol (small blue flame, evaporates very quickly. no smoke no smell) and 99% paraffin/lamp oil (good yellow-orange flame, good burn time, no smoke, no smell) which so far is my favorite.Oh, and (get ready... BIG secret..) apparently boric acid added to lighter fluid makes a bright green flame! I'm tryin' this one out next weekend when I get the stuff from a friend in LA.They ain't nothin' stonier than poi!-Spenky

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
myst, i too have been looking for a place to see the best. i think me and you should get together and develop a routine to beat all routines. imagine if you will to excellent spinners in unison, they are perfectly back to back and then they both start turning 360 degrees still back to back. then easily turnin out to face each other into a butterfly where one wraps on the others leg and the other in tur wraps on the others arm. interested? i live on the strand in oceanside. email me POSEYMJ@3MAW.USMC.MIL think of the new world we could open doing things in unison. you will have to show me the 5 beat wave, i just read it lastnight but i need to see it. i think i understand it and it just doesnt seem to wonderful. we should get together.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well i havent tried fire twirling yet, but i use pretty heavy strings and can hold 3 glowsticks on each string. i think that would be comparable to fire twirling. i use braided parachute cord w/ hooks and rings for the glowsticks. a friend of mine likes to add weights to his, he hasnt twirled fire yet either. u might try that.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
str0be,hehe..Before I progressed to fire, I was spinning on the ends of my poi strings:1 tennis ball3 6" glowstix1 4" glowstickand they were *STILL* lighter than my fire poi soaked. You gotta remember..the actual chain, and wick are moderately heavy..maybe comparable to my implementation above, however, once you soak your wicks, they generally hold their own weight in fuel... (:Happy Twirling!------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Serpenticemember
10 posts

Posted:
'If the man desires it, he shall make his own path to it.'Ever thought about maybe, well, you know...trying to actually ORGANISE something in your local area to get a bunch of people together to learn new things and get better...or e-mail some people, rent out a place and have a POI-STOCK? I for one would love to see something like that happen. So if you want to have a 'best of the best' kind of event you could do worse than to try and start one yourself. How about it?

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I've been very popular lately, People are writting me e mail who live in my area and I'm trying to see them. I guess it's all slowly coming together. "If I want it, it will happen". Lol, just had to make fun of myself.Eric------------------If a nuclear bomb went off, we'de all be giant glowstix, think about it, spinning with your two best friends would have a whole new meaning.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
For all of you that are out there spinning glowsticks on shoelaces, you should try walking the dog. What I mean by this is go to Wal-Mart or some other store that sells dog leashes and get 2 that are a size that is appropiate for you. The disadvantage of shoelaces, is that sometimes the laces will break, or the knot comes undone. The advantage of leashes is that both are the same length, if you put a large key ring at the end to hold your sticks. For those who want to match the weight of your wicks, put more glowsticks of the end of the strings. When I spin at the club/rave, I've got 4-6 glowsticks on each string.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
thatsnot a bad idea, because i know wen i get drug into the local Target by my loving signifigant other for hours upon end, i have found that a pair of cahin dog leashes provide the best substitute for my poi while walking around the store....she hates it when i do that.."S"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I don't think the dog leash is a good Idea at all. They are too thick, and flat, they'de make funny noises. The weight of them would also throw the glowsticks off. Shoelaces cost like $2.00 and don't break or rip often enough for it to add up enough to make me buy a dog leash. Thats just my opinion, whatever works for you.Eric

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Just my 2cents:I use chains when spinning glowsticks. I have several sets of chains set up for different type of poi heads (fire, sparkler, glow etc...). Whatever works mate winkAde

Angelmember
10 posts

Posted:
Cool! Loads of replies re: the glowstick thing! Awesome. I like the chains idea and but will give the shoelaces a bash probably next weekend @ the Funkee House Rave. Now, to get my hands on some glowsticks...wish we had a WallMart in this country. Can ususally only get glowsitcks at the actual rave and then only sometimes.... smile

*HEDONISM*

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Hey Angel, you can order all the glowsticks you want from websites like www.gofromm.com and www.glowitems.com Shipping might be expensive, but order in bulk and that'll keep u 4 a while. We only use chains when spinning outdoors b/c they can hurt others when u don't have a lot of room. Shoe strings r better for indoor raves and you can take a hi-lighter and color white ones so they glow under UV lights (really cool to see the strings in the dark). Hope this helps!

Fear the evil monkey!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Angel, try camping/outdoor shops for glowstix

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Hey peeps,Just enjoyed reading all ya comments, & picking up more tips.I've been using some home made poi, made from chain with a open/close hook at the end for attachments. My fire attachments are heavy, basic and hurt a lot. Anyways I was planning on using fire for the first time last weekend when I hooked up with some friends, forgot to get fuel (sensi-effect), but found some glowstix in his garage.Started spining for the with them for the first time, noticed as u guys said how fast u can spin them, and within 2 mins of starting they both simultaneously came off and headed over the roof like heat-seekers.(well, I laughed)This weekend ------- FIRE. Can't wait.L8ersM

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

Page: