Forums > Social Chat > Is there a place where the best of the best go?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I'm curious, of course, cause I want to be one of them. Even if I weren't good enough, I think I would learn a lot from just watching them spin. It kind of sucks to live in california though, I havent seen anyone better then me yet, the ones that were I've surpassed and the ones that are out there I haven't met yet. I spin at raves to get out there and do what I have grown to love but I just want to have my mind blown for once. I think I desearve to watch someone and feel like a little kid in aww. Eric------------------If a nuclear bomb went off, we'de all be giant glowstix, think about it, spinning with your two best friends would have a whole new meaning.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
When you are good enough, the answer will come to you. The answer is known by every twirler, but it takes a master to recognise it for what it is.Josh

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
geeeeeeee, thanks josh. That was touching. I don't really feel like playing grasshopper right now, it was a serious question. you're basically saying, "when you build it, they will come". It's dumb, Im asking about a convention or something, you know, where tons of good people go. If you're taking this the wrong way and thinking I'm saying some people suck at poi, don't. I just want to see the ones who practice all the time, not the ones who just pick them up at a rave for attention, and never play around at home.Eric ------------------If a nuclear bomb went off, we'de all be giant glowstix, think about it, spinning with your two best friends would have a whole new meaning.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
hey mist..."only the warrior that hears the call, will know when to leave, where to go."hee hee couldnt resist.I feel ya on this topic. All of my friends that got me into it have pretty much quit, mainly because they dont like for me to break them off. I just picked up so easily, and i have incorporated it into my life. They got bored when they couldnt advance.Now even when i go to raves, (trying very hard to be modest) i am alwayseither the best, or the next best out of the people that are spinning there. Then i watch them and mimic them and usually leave with a few new moves and combos.There should be a POI mecca on every continent that every one could go to once a year. We can call it POI-STOCK.Hey stranger things have happened..Super------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Hey SUP... Thats just what Im talking about. I've already advanced past my mentors now I want to be put in my place. Everything came easy to me as well. The only things I really worked on is the 5 beat weave and btb weave. Now Im doing wraps btb in and out of the btb weave, working on the 5 beat weave btb, and every wrap I'v ever thought of Iv done. Other people think differently then I do so maybe they have a wrap or move I'v never seen and thats why I was wondering. That Mecca idea is great though.EricHope you had a great time getting married

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Josh and Superman, you forgot the other adage:When the student is ready, the teacher will appear wink(sorry eric, couldn't resist)ade[This message has been edited by Ade (edited 29 June 2001).]

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
UgghMyst & Sup - you make me sick!With envy that is. I've been doing poi for nearly a year, and nothing comes easy. I've been trying to figure out moves from checking out this site and I haven't got btb or 5 beat moves down.I would guess NZ or Thailand are the places that would have the nearest approximation to a poi convention------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey, I understand your frustration. Even though I'm in "fire central", there's very few people playing torches. It can be hard to keep going and striving if you don't feel like you're being inspired and challenged by what you see people do. I would advise you, if I were to advise you wink, to turn inward and find where your ambitions are. When I did that I decided I wanted to learn bunches of Snakes and was really satisfied with my work. You have to learn to kick your own ass and not be complacent. If you're looking for a "convention" relatively near you, try Burning Man. If you're really all that you probably won't be happy until you go to Oz or NZ or Thailand or islands of the South Pacific. Diana

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
Kat...I feel your pain. I've only been doing it for six months wink and it feels like i can do Everything! but those two moves (btb weave, 5 beat weave!) it just dosen't click! hehe, just thought i'd show some sympathy for a fellow twirler! wink------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey I'm having the same sorta problem with the fire staff as myst and suerman. I've surpassed everyone else I know and coming from perth I just don't where to find anyone else that swings or twirlsKarl

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
beat the lamest town in Wisconsin! tongue wink------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Myst - Sounds like you are straight badass at twirling. What gets me, though, is that you mentioned the whole rave thing. What do you spin there? Just glowsticks on strings? If so, how the hell can you manage to do everything your describing w/ those things? I personally have noticed as I've gotten better that the light-weight of the glowsticks is nearly impossible to contain when doing more complicated routines and that, because of that, I'm about twice as good w/ poi. If you have a secret then *please* let me know 'cause I got into the whole thing because of glowsticks and even though I've improved tons I can't really even show off at raves because I try to do all of the moves I can do 1,000 times over w/ poi and end up looking like a beginner 'cause the weight trips me up.

Angelmember
10 posts

Posted:
Hey there everyone. I"m new to this forum, but my eye was caught by the Poi convention idea. I'm still learning at the moment and having worked through all the advanced moves of another Poi site, I am about halfway through this one here.I love twirling! Man! I'ma progressive dancer and dance for raves here in South Africa. I will _definitely_ be incorporating Poi into my routines. It kicks ass.It has come so easily to me and I dead set on learning those 5 beats you were describing.

*HEDONISM*

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Hey Lamar...I dont know how you were trying to come across, but your first sentence to me wasnt appropriate. True there are moves that are easier to do with real POI, but they arent impossible to do with sticks. I learned 90% of what i know with sticks. I now prefer Pratice POI because of the weight. Shit, Jimmy Hendrix played left handed on a right handed Guitar his entire career. people in China use chop sticks. I would argue that a fork is easier, but my friend Leing can eat soup with a damn set of chop sticks. So why knock them? Kat: The parts that came easy to me, which i am sure this is pretty much the same case with Myst, were the building blocks. Weaves, CS, Butterlflys and so on...It seems that now after 10 months, i am having a harder time than when i begun. Probably when i first started i practiced 3 hrs a day +..now its more like 8 hrs a week. And even then its not really practicing, its just spinning for the joy of it.i have a friend that has been spinning for about 5 months...and, well...his heart is in it, so i cant knock him. Some people can pick up on things faster and easier than others. I still cant do photon lights very well, but my brother, after about 2 months goes off. He can hang with people that have been doing it for much longer..------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey i started maybe 2 years ago and i got to a certain point and stoped practicing at home (big mistake) i was once that guy better then my friends now they have all passed my by leaps and bounds my advice keep trying and dont give up at all hehe its a b*tch to catch back up

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Where should you go for some world-class poi skill? Right here, Baltimore, MD, USA, poi capital of the world! grin grin grinJust kidding. smileYeah I know how you feel in some ways; I was the only person in this city spinning for a while and though many of my close friends learned very quickly (discouragingly quickly, in some ways! tongue) I felt like I was in my own league and badly needed some external encouragement. Well I got it, all right, at both yKaterina's east coast spin party and also when I went to the east coast beach burn at Assateague Island National Seashore (related to Burningman..a smaller regional event) I saw some very impressive stuff. If there's an upcoming event or convention in your area, go! If not, host one!-protie

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Superman: In what context did you take my post? I just reread it twice and I don't see anything that stands out as being rude or insulting. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said it sounds like he is straight badass at twirling... and I don't see how someone saying your badass at twirling can be offensive so please clarify what you felt was misplaced. I'm just like you, I also learned 90% of my moves with sticks and I prefer practice poi as well because with the poi I can do them nearly 100% of the time. But, like Myst, I love to spin at raves... so I was hoping he might have suggestions that would help me to improve with sticks.

Tikimember
44 posts

Posted:
Sup Lamar, do you by any chance try to spin sticks in the same manner that you use with your practice poi? There are just as many or more tricks that I can pull off with glowsticks due to their light weight and smaller diameter. Try getting used to the different speed and technique of maneuvering your strings when using your glow and things should open up quickly.

1. CAUTION: Knife is very sharp. Keep out of children
2. A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
3. Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Well, lamar, I also took affence to your comment, kind of a calling out. I think if you took more time playing with your poi instead of getting your panties in a bunch about what I can do with my sticks, you might be able to do them too. The truth is, all I spin is stix. I have no problem with the weight of them cause its all I know. maybe one day I can be as good as you with poi. how do you like sarcastic tones. I picked it all up fairly quick cause I worked my ass off to be better then everyone I saw. pardon me for getting defensive but I desearve a little respect for only spinning since march 2001 and learning all Iv learned. If I threaten you in any way Im sorry, if you are too busy thinking, they're all giving him attention and not me, then stop. go outside and spin your strings, you'll get more respect on this board that way then if you just complain about me knowing a "secret" you don't. well if you want my "secret" ill tell you, are you ready? PRACTICE, yes thats it, PRACTICE. it's as simple as that. Now go spread the word.------------------If a nuclear bomb went off, we'de all be giant glowstix, think about it, spinning with your two best friends would have a whole new meaning.

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Myst--I don't see what's so horrible about someone giving you a compliment. All I could see in Lamar's post was him complimenting your abilities, and asking if you had any advice or tips to give.I don't see what could be rude or inappropriate about that. And I do see that getting on his case for it is pretty much shooting down the whole point of a twirling bulletin board. I mean, what else are we here for, if not to talk to each other about spinning (and even give each other compliments from time to time)?I think you may have been reading some kind of "sarcastic tone" into Lamar's post that I don't think was intended at all. I think he honestly meant that he thought you were a really skilled twirler."If I threaten you in any way I'm sorry"? I don't see where you're getting that from Lamar's words at all. Have you considered that maybe he's just trying to be nice?

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I read this cause I would like to go and be transported to other dimensions when watching ppl twirl (poi in particular wink ) That's not to say I don't go 'cool' when I see different ppl twirl (it looks cool to me when I see the twirler just trancing out and flowing with it regardless how technically skilled)..The closest I came to changing dimensions was when I saw a guy do a backflip while twirling two sticks (jaw drops! :O )I don't see how anyone was attacking anyone originally (though I can see a few ppl getting defensive for mis-communication)..I read some Chinese (or eastern anyway) proverb the other day... it went something like this "It is only when you think you are ahead of everyone - that you are truly falling behind." Something like that... my memory evades me ..If anyone takes offence to that then there is something wrong with the way you are reading stuff on here or you need to get some sleep or something smile .. I like the way that saying applies to everything and everyone equally ..Oh yeah and I hear Goa is a great place to go and learn new stuff and be transported to different planes of existance smile

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I may have gone about it in the wrong way, but the thing that stood out as being rude that made the rest of the post look wrong was that he said, "what do you spin JUST glow stix". Its kind of suddle way to put someone down. I guess I just took it wrong. I apologize for that but I really was serious when I said there wasn't any secret and to just practice a lot.Eric------------------If a nuclear bomb went off, we'de all be giant glowstix, think about it, spinning with your two best friends would have a whole new meaning.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
what I said, was a lame attempt at getting all Zen on your ass, but basically I meant the same thing as Diana (I think) in that you can be your own master, you can look to yourself for challenges...As long as you are developing your skills for internal purposes (not for getting attention) you will always be able to develop.There isnt many ppl here in Adelaide that impress the crap out of me. I have to travel to see new things. Next month I'm coming to the US in the hope of seeing some new things.Also - there will be a video being released on this site very soon, with video clips from lots of talented artists around the world on it (including a very short bit of me with fire whips smile). Perhaps you would like to buy that and look for some inspiration? its not all glowsticking however...Josh

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Myst:I would normally be really pissed off at how far my comments have been dragged out of proportion and misinterpretted... but this is an online message board, afterall, and it is very easy to view things out of context. First off, I was not calling you out. Truth be told, if I came across as sarcastic, arrogant, or cocky it is probably because I was in awe of the fact that you accomplished all of that with strings & sticks, because they frustrated me so much that I was close to giving up on trying with them until this thread. Regardless, though, I'm not the type to call someone out as spinning to me is not about competition. I love to learn new ways of doing old things, I love to learn new things entirely, and I also love teaching other people the things that I've learned. If I didn't feel that way, I wouldn't be a member of this board.Also, I've only been spinning for about 2 months. My intent was to show nothing *but* respect for the things you have been able to accomplish. Hell... I'll be lucky if I can do the shit you can now by the time March 2002 rolls around. The reason I said the thing about the glowsticks was because I've heard of people attaching glowsticks to cords, cables, keyrings, etc. for added weight. Hell, a friend of mine attached photons to strings the other night and it worked out really well weight wise. Perhaps my tone was off, but all I meant to ask was what you spun at raves.Lastly, my apologies if I ruined your thread. I was not attempting to divert any attention or respect away from you. I could give a shit less about any of that, really. I spin because I love the people I encounter, I love the music, I love how it feels, and I love the challenge, and I love how I can literally 'spin' a stressful day out of my body. I'm on this board to learn and grow, like I think we all are, not to piss people off or undermind their skills.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
hey Lamar,My apologies...I must have been on the defensive that day which if you ask around is very out of charater for me. i misinturpreted your post as a call out.I was hit with alot of callouts when i first posted here, and it annoyed me to no end. But that was a while back, and i think those types are pretty much weeded out. I assumed when i should have payed more attention to your other posts and realized that that isnt your style to call someone out, specially a newbie. I should apologize to Myst for off-tracking the thread, for i took the first stab.we all cool? im cool, ive got my shoes off and my fan blowing on my feets here at work. If i could just getit to shoot up my pants leg that would.....er...i mean...uh...sorry. [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">Superman------------------[/image]"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Yeah man. Its all g-r-a-v-y. smile For a while there I was beginning to think my friends were all right... that maybe I really am an asshole! lol. I'm really surprised to hear that other people on the board used to make a habit of calling people out. I don't see the point. No one gains anything but a touch of frustration and it directly defies the synergy that makes message boards... well... what they are, I guess, appealing and beneficial. Bah... bad apple in every bunch, I guess.BTW - Don't you have secretaries for that sort of thing? You know, they are a much better substitute than air from a fan. wink

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
::gasps with mock horror at sordid secretary comment::Hey - I'm an executive assistant! Imagine what I'm capable of compared to a secretary! wink wink::leaves to locate box of toys::------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
I'm glad to see that all got resolved, and I hope I helped more than hurt that process. I was trying to cool things down, but looking back at my post, I think it was kind of snitty. Sorry about that. :sheepish:I'm also glad to hear that any "calling out" on this board is in the past... partly because I've never understood how you can "call someone out" when they're thousands of klicks away! I mean, what is someone supposed to do, fly halfway around the world for a spinning showdown? (A "spindown"?)I gotta say, I spun some glowsticks a few nights ago at a friend's party, and it's given me a whole new respect for those who normally spin sticks. Even with an extra washer on each one, those things were hard to control! (I normally spin either Zuni or some homemade fire poi that weigh about two or three times what Zuni do.)So, my hat's off to anyone that can do crazy mad moves with glow. (And I think practicing some more with those might really help my poi spinning...)

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i am glad i learned to spin on sticks first, because as many times as i have smacked myself with those damn things and drew blood, i have learned to avoid hitting myself pretty well. And they are are harder to control than my zuni's, their paths tend not to stay true, but i only realized how much after i started spinning the heavier Pratice Poi and Zuni's.Ive hit myself with the Zuni and kept on spinning, ive hit my self clean in the eye with a GS and dropped...So i there is a fear factor. Thats what i like about them, thats why i am pretty confident that i will be ok when i spark up for the first time.try this..take four GS's of different colors, and put two on each end. i took a thin piece of wire and wrapped them together at the top and bottom, then sottered them together. Alot heavier, a little cumbersome, but it was ok after i got use to it, and the effect was very cool, i had 4 colors going at once."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

Angelmember
10 posts

Posted:
Okay, this is going to sound _really_ dumb, but there is all this talk about 'glowsticks'. I've seen pictures of them being spun and would love to know how to make some.What type of string is preferable and where do I attach it to the glowstick?It looks awesome (checked out the photies on this site) and I would love to give it a bash. smile

*HEDONISM*

Kosmik Lunatikmember
58 posts

Posted:
HEY LAMARi was just wondering is there a limited amount of thingsyou can do with strings and glowstix, if so please explain.

Page: