DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I want to start meditating. I have a friend who is self taught and says I can do the same. My girlfriend went to the Dublin Meditation Centre and says that I'm far better off going there but it costs like 120 quids which is pretty steep. She is adamant that it's worth is though and she misses the place. I've heard that group meditation can be special and I also know that they teach you techniques to recognise certain things and how to correct yourself and stuff like that. I know she also did various special meditations like trying to move the feelings you have for someone you love to someone you hate and special meditations for people who've died and such and such.

Well what's the craic, I can't really afford that money but I'd hate to be missing out on something and if I'm going to take the trouble to learn to meditate I may as well get the most out of it.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Do you want to do meditation that follows a specific religion?

Buddhist centres normally provide meditation sessions for free or a small donation to cover the costs of the building. The ones i've been to (WBO) are deivided into 2 parts, firstly meditation based on buddhist techniques, then buddhist teachings afterwards. There's a break in the middle so you are free to leave before the second half if you are not interested in buddhism. Which is good, because there's nothing worse than religions with active recruitment drives.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
It is a buddhist centre and is 'not for profit' I've met a guy from there before in my pursuit for 'public space' and know there rent is high because it's based in the city centre...

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
the thing about buddhism is that there's lots of sects of it, each whom interpriate things slightly differently. The main in the UK are SGI and WBO. SGI seem to be very into providing meditation/retreats on the cheap, WBO varies.

There are retreats which cost a mint, because they rent a stately home for a weekend. There's also ones at monastries which cost nothing (anonymous donation). For want of a better phrase 'shop around a bit', because not all meditation groups are the same. The cost price is also definately not proportional to quality. I guess some places target people with too much money (ie midlife crisis housewifes) and others which just want to do something good for the community.

Meditation is also kind of like poi, it's easier with guidance, but you've got to practice it on your own at home way more than you do with other people if you expect to get anything out of it. Therefore I suggest self taught, but find weekly/fortnightly sessions too, to pick up new stuff, keep you on track etc.

Also check out you local uni, at mine we have someone from the local buddhist centre come twice a week and give free 1 hour sessions. You don't have to be a student to attend.

120 quid per person imho is more than cost price to rent a hall a few times, either it's a very nice building, they are raising money for something or people are being paid.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ive meditated at a few different places and with individuals, the most intense meditation sessions ive had where with a small group of ppl in the blue mountains with micheal rowland (author of absolute happyness, definately worth a read if your into personal development)

its important to go to a few different places just so you can make a comparision between what you feel (even though eat time is different sometimes you just wont mesh with the other ppl there/running it)

if your girlfriend has done the course why not just get her to show you?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
£120 is too much.

If I were you I'd go to the local library which will probably have a good selection of meditation books based on many different traditions.

Then you can try the techniques on your own and get an understanding of the direction you want to go in.

It's possible to learn meditation on your own from books, some people are better with that, others need the support of a group setting.

While you're at the library see if there's an info section with details of groups that offer meditation training.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I do a form of meditation called zazen.

I learned it at a Buddist temple in Manhattan where they would have regular sittings for those outside of the faith.

Its proven to be a very useful technique.

Raph

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
To reach the goal of mediation one can't learn a process that will work. He who is true to himself, and his surroundings will find enlightenment in his own ways.

May also work for 'She' and 'Her'

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
look for spiriualist groups in your area.. they quite often have meditation courses as a group and you wont be paying through the nose...I have been taught and now teach meditation courses myself and I have found that it really depends on what type of person you are as an individual as to wether or not a group situation will suit you...
Some people find that the energy becomes too high in a group situation and gives them headaches or makes them feel too spacey like they are not grounded at all... other people find that self taught meditation can be harder as they dont know what to expect and what the symbols or colour may mean when they start to experience the energy of the third eye opening...
Think about what may suit you... experience both situations and then decide what it is that will suit you and go from there....

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

nightsdarkchildmember
84 posts

Posted:
if your dedication and devotion are shown your actions will most likly be accepted. this is only one thing that i have learned form medation.

we could live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
swim out past the breakers watch the world die

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
120 quid, that's definitely a bit steep for a 5 week course.

My tai-chi teacher is starting some 'Qi Gong' and 'Ba gua' workshops over the next few weeks. Qi gong is extremely meditative as it doesn't require any external motion. I'll get the details for you if you like. I'll also ask him if he knows of anywhere else in Dublin....

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I agree it's steep. I'm gunna see if my girlfriend will teach me. If she won't agree I'm going to follow her round with a long stick and tap her on the head from behind while she's meditating and then hide when she turns round. Moooohaaaaahahaaa

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
I’ll teach you everything you need to know about Zen for the bargain price of £100.

Non-Https Image Link

- Alienfox -

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ill do it for 90

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
I'll do it for £75 & I'll even throw in a solid brass, mini Buddha statue, can't say fairer than that!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Wow you guys are great. So far you're winning Firemorph. I don't have any spare beds but your welcome to the couch or the inflatable matress.

So when you coming over?

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
£74.99. And don't forget that that includes the steak knives, 24 piece tuppaware set, suppastain carpet cleaner, 5 head mop and the wondah whizz brussel sprout chopper!