Forums > Social Chat > Polyester Costume + Fire Poi - Good or Bad idea???

Login/Join to Participate

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
Hi Folks

I just want to pick your brains for a minute

I am thinking about ordering a Ninja costume for when I do my fire performances.

It is made from 100% Polyester

According to the clothing section of HoP it does not ignite for about 10 seconds. But when it does it melts etc etc etc

Is it worth buying the costume or should i try and find something else?

If I have to find something else - what material do you recommend?

Dav

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
do you have medical insurance?

I wouldn't personally, but if you can get a small piece of material its made of then you can test it. If it melts straight away like a lot of plastic based materials it's not a good idea.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i dunno melting to the skin ........... if i was you i would get someone to sew up a costume for you, that or go to a martial arts shop and just get a black uniform(im quite sure they arent made of polyester i could be wrong)

why do u want to have a ninja constume for performing? i just wear black pants and get body painted nice tribal feel. its cool as in you dont get hot so fast and there is nothing to catch your staff poi on.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
dont need medical insurance - im in the UK! [Evil Laugh]

how can i ask the company im going to buy it from that I want a tester piece so that I can set it on fire?

Maybe I could buy it and return it burnt to a cinder and say it suffered from spontanious combustion!

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
i normally wear a pair of black jeans and a black top

i just want somthing a little better looking

Im not somone who can go topless as im overweight and i dont think that the audience would like to see painted man boobs hahaha

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
even if Polyester didnt melt, and was fire proof, would you really want to wear it? i think it looks and feels a bit c**p... you can tell its fake, its totally non-natural.. get something cotton, much nicer to wear.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Tarriemember
17 posts

Posted:
personally i would say a big fat NO to the polyester... fire + polyester = muchos pain and lotsa hospital food (most probably through a straw). I like the ninja idea tho....

Tarrie. Lonely but never alone. Alive but dead inside. Violently happy.

Tarriemember
17 posts

Posted:
oh, and theres nothing wrong with painted man boobs

Tarrie. Lonely but never alone. Alive but dead inside. Violently happy.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
and i think the ten seconds it states it would take until it catches aflame ... has absolutely nothing to do with the time it would take to melt the surface (smear!) or all the way through to your skin (owwwwie!)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by BigDav:
dont need medical insurance - im in the UK! [Evil Laugh]
So if you get seriously burnt and can't work for a very long time how do you plan to live/eat/etc?

Meh

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
ok i am really put off withg the ninja costume

WHAT MATERIAL DO U RECOMMEND?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Most martial art uniforms are cotton. Just look into getting a real one. They are heavy duty, durable and able to move with the body.

Polyester takes about 10 secs to burst into flame. Prior to that it melts in this great billow of black smoke and noxious fumes. The melting polyester (very much like plastic) becomes embedded in the skin and needs to be medically removed. It is pretty nasty. Just for general information.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
id agree with the others, go to a martial arts store, tell them what you want it for and ask for a cotton kit!

or you could e-mail a few on-line comapnys to find out if they have cotton suits?

Step (el-nombrie)

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
A resounding no from me!! Plastic burns are not fun, I had a little biity one and it took layers off skin off!

I'm with the others,invest in some cotton and you can easily make your own outfit, try and purchase some black Tabi to set off the outfit, and voila! Ninja poi warrior.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
Thanks to everyone who replied to this post

I will get myself a nice cotton costume. All I need to do is find somewere that sells martial arts stuff. There is none in my town

Angel_Xpressmember
55 posts

Posted:
Hi Dav,

i don't mean to be mean, but i can't belive you were seriously thinking of buying a ninja siut made from polyester

anyway, i have been looking on the web for you and i have found a site based in Manchester www.nwssportsuk.co.uk

I hope this helps.

Bye Bye

Angel

I am an Angel

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I can't remember the name of the thread, but it was something like 'you too can be ninja', in social... shows you how to convert a black t-shirt (cotton! yay!) into ninja gear... worth a try?

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Hi Davin,

Here's a link to a martial arts A to Z site.

I hope you find what you're looking for...

https://www.wellwin.u-net.com/mad/az.htm

Lisa

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
hi angel

im only new to all this fire stuff and i dont know about the flamability of materials. Thats why i posted the thread, to ask the experts advice like yourself!

We all have to start somewhere and learn everything the hard way

Angel_Xpressmember
55 posts

Posted:
Big Dav,

Sorry i look at your website and thought you'd been at it for years.

BTW i like the picture on your site.

Angel

I am an Angel

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
why dont you save the money from the nija outfit (damm cool idea althe same).... use the money on some weights and shit.... wreack your body for a few weeks with sit ups and all manour of toning exercises and do it topless..... chicks'll love it (any girls going to disagree with fit guys fire poiing topless? didn't think so) and guys will.. well.... just do it in front of women... lots of them..... make them get topless too.... hmmm... really gotta go see my girlfriend......

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flid:
do you have medical insurance?

Medical insurance does not protect one from injury. Either way, you have burning polyester melted into your skin. Either way, you'll need to go to the hospital and get treated, either way you'll likely be scarred for life, and if you don't have insurance, you'll be in debt, too.

So polyester is a GREAT idea if you fancy having melting plastic fusing with your skin. Otherwise, stick to no more than a 70% cotton/30% synthetic mix.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
mmmmm
*nngghh*
topless boys with fire!
*mmmmmm*

but ... i'm just addicted to skin!

i find myself in a similar situation. a newbie that could lose a few pounds (and maybe years) to look all hot weilding fire ... but i say **** it! i have started losing a little weight but am more worried about the poi hitting me at this point than the tautness of my belly ...

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
it will take more than weights to get the weight that i need to get off me LOL

The pics on my site are not all of me - just a few samples until i get more pics of myself. I have a couple of rolls that I need to leave in to be developed , but im just to busy (ok lazy) to drive all the way to the chemists and hand it in.

I have a friend who is great with words and spiced up the wording of my website to make me look better than i actually am Har de Har Har!