Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
I was lurking trough the catalog pages of this site as I have done many times. Only this time I noticed that with the beaming poi set the "only for experienced users" text was displayed, just as with the fire whip.
Now I would like to know how dangerous those beaming poi are?
Because my thought is "how the hell can en LED-poi be more dangerous than a fire poi?"

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Beamers are evil! They seriously hurt and if spinning fast can cause serious injury. I smacked myself in the knee while doing a rather speedy alternate butterfly and was walking with a limp for nearly two weeks. They really really hurt!
Fire poi have a bit of give and you dont go up in flames as soon as they hit you, beamers hurt as soon as they hit you and have no give at all.

Unless you're completely confident in most (if not all) of the moves you can do and hardly ever hit yourself, then beamers are great! If not, i would wait a while
Hope this helps!
Beth xx

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
Malcom have you considered improving the beaming poi design? i was thinking of some flexie rubber seal on the join, to give abit of give. just a thought as i hear your're busy and all.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Forau:
..."only for experienced users" ...
Those four words sum it up well.

They're heavy and hard, several people have posted about broken noses and chipped teeth from beamers.

I love mine and feel safe with them, but there's no way I would have wanted to use them when I was starting out.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

AntiwormGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
i was swinging my beaming poi on the very last night of Burning Man... After downing several bloody marys and some other unidentified drinks.
i've only been swinging for nine months but i'm very confident swinging, even with beaming poi... However, the combination of alcohol and "dangerous beaming poi" was not good. i ended up with a welt over my right temple and split the skin over my left eye.
Yes, beaming poi are dangerous, if you're stupid enough to use them while drunk. i'm lucky i didn't sustain any greater injuries.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
love the beamers. they give such a satisfying crunching noise when they thwack into the side of my head.

to be honest tho, i only hit myself when not concentrating or doing a new move, two things that arent recommended! they're also much heavier so the wieght takes a bit to get used to.

good luck!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I have never managed to knock myself out with my fire poi. Don't use beamers if you're easily distacted by shiny objects...

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
I've only picked up a pair of beamers once and I didn't last 2 minutes. Won't be going near them again in a hurry. Ouch!

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
I see, they are dangerous as hell
Never really thought about it that way, chipped teeth and broken noses...
Makes me think of those giant balls that wreck buildings.

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:
We have looked into this but not found a nice enough process to do it. Plus a little bit of cussioning does little for the added weight.
Try bubblewrap or put a motor bike helmet on or just be proud of your scars, cuts, broken bones and bruises

And if you act now, we'll throw in a genuine Home of Poi pandage set. Complete with ice-pack and crutches!

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Malcolm, I have a business proposition...

I'll change my career plans and go into trauma surgery. You make the Beamers heavier. That way, your beamers will generate surgical cases for me. Then I'll give you a cut of my earnings. Sound good?

Oh, and trauma surgeons make bank. Serious bank.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
So far I've had good luck with mine, gotten hit but all it did was sting for a while. My legs are used to abuse, played soccer/"football" all my early years, defender, so I'm used to getting kicked in the knees and such, to be honest the beamers feel better than a cleet behind the knee