Forums > Social Chat > The official "even toddlers can configure cache servers better than my isp" thread!!

Login/Join to Participate

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
they force us to use transparent cache servers. Ok, it's a good idea. Bandwidth costs money, and by saving bandwidth they give us lower prices.

*but* NTL have about as much knowledge about configuring cache servers as your average baby has about brain surgery (ie none at all).

Which means, about 50% of posts you make to HoP give "server cannot be found" errors.

Like wow, thanks NTL!!! you guys are seriously cool! Its gotten to the point now where ebay give a message when you submit a listing saying "if youa re using ntl..... please do this..... because they are shit....."

That's not cool

Anyway, i wrte a long post for the official i'm too drunk post, but as it got a "server cannot be found" message, i've made a new thread instead, and copied this message to a text file, so i can cut and paste it again when i get the infamous "server cannot be found" message again from ntl

So, please, when you read this thread, please send positive engery to the NTL sysadmins, i'm sure its not their fault really and they are nice people at heart

[ 20. September 2003, 11:33: Message edited by: flid ]

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
yay! just tried to edit this post,but got a "server cannot be found" message!

So, i'm tunnelling now via a machine in london.

What i wanted to say is that, i can't remember, i'm sure it was important, but anyway, in life, please don't impose things on other people unless you know how to make alterations which give the same effect that they would otherwise have. If you insist on pissing with people's internet connections to make some more profit, please, please, i beg of you, go on a course first on how to configure cache servers. Its not hard, honestly, just like read the manual, then maybe people won't be so annoyed with you, and give you lots of hugs. It doesn't cost any money, squid is a very good open source cache server, it's all good.

Can we make the 20th of september an official "Hug an NTL worker Day" please?

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Find me a decent NTL worker, and I'll consider giving them a hug

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
I know someone who used to be in NTL team (not managing the cache or anything), but the office network was (to get from one building in one town to a different building in another town) than dialling into a VISP whose modem banks were in the final location.

They're not known as NTHell for nothing, you know.

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i rekon you should get hong kong fooie on the job...NTL suck, there is no way big ISP's whould employe monkeys to do jobs!

i understad flid, its cool dude!

later days

Step (el-nombrie)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
I've got a toddler. Shall I bring him round?
If he wants a job, then yeah.

If not, but can spare some time, i'm sure he could give them some useful advice on unix administration.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
flid if your using an NT based platform you might have the welch worm to. It might not be all of you ISP's falt. but I'm assuming that NTL is the telco ISP.... and if thats the case I've never seen a telco be able to properly provide any thing less that an OC12 fibre line. and even then they mangage to f*ck it up! (I used to work at the local ISP so I hate Telco's) so lets blame NTL even if you have the welch

[ 22. September 2003, 17:24: Message edited by: The VX'er formerly known as Frost ]

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

trixyBRONZE Member
100 posts

Posted:
yes, NTL do suck.

until about three weeks ago (when it sort of stoped happening) every time i whent to a new site, replyed to a post or even sent an e-mail it came up with 'page can not be found' or 'sever error'
i had to use the back button on IE and try again the second time it would sometimes work.

its the sort of thing that makes you want to chuk you comp out of an upstars window and use the phone instead.

luv trixy

THAT'S ABOUT AS SENSIBLE AS STANDING ON A HILL, IN A THUNDER STORM, HOLDING A GOLF CLUB AND SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF YOUR VOICE /ALL GOD'S ARE *BASTADS* -THE GREAT TERRY PRATCHETT.