Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
As some of you know i hurt my knee and therefore my plans of going in the navy were crushed...for 4 years at least.

I have started job hunting in my local areas and it seems no one wants to employ me . I am getting so down at the moment with it, and my mum who i'm living with said she can't afford to keep my living at home unless i pay rent - which i cant do untill i'm earning.

Has anyone any ideas as to what to do? I have applied to agencys, looked on the internet, looked in local newspapers and applied to everything possible!

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
Hi Alice

Well Ill offer you a job here in N. Ireland.

You can be my personal slave. i pay one litre of fuel per week. All you are expected to do is cook, clean, provide certain sexual favours etc etc etc

No seriously, if you want a Job here in N. Ireland, ill be able to get you a job as a Security Guard. The pay is rubbish but its a steady income. Let me know if you are interested.

Good luck in your job hunting and ill see you in January!!!

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the offer...unfortuantly N.Ireland is a little far away from Croydon

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thats really harsh Alice.
Sorry you missd out on the Navy, do you still think you'll go for it in 4 year?

As for finding a job, what qualifications do you have, what experience, and what are you interested in? (after all you don't want to be stuck doing something you really don't like even if it is only for a short time.)

Hope your knee gets better soon, I tore my anterior cruciate ligament about a year ago now, still gives me a bit of trouble, but I was up and snowboarding (with a brace) within a week.

PsyB.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Thanks

I wish i had your determination about my knee!

I am trying to find...anything! I have no real experiance, and qualifications go as far as AS levels.

I am more determined to find a job to get money then if i dont like it look for anouther one while earning i can't afford to be picky at the moment. Once i have a job i will think about what to do in the future and all.

Alice

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Yikes - poor sweetie. I had to temp in London for ages before I could get a job. Again, what are you thinking of doing, what qualifications do you have and ideally what would you like to do?

Don't get down, I know from experience how depressing it is. I was totally bummed when no UK companies would employ me and in the end I started working for a Japanese company who would take me on.

Can't you bum off the system for a while till you get sorted? Not ideal I know, but it will give you time to find something?

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
i hope you dont mind me asking, Alice, but what actually happened to your knee?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
I damaged my ligaments whilst swimming (of all things hey!)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well it was financial determination more than anything. I did my knee playing a variant of ice hockey without skates, and was due to go on holiday soon after.

I refused to miss my boarding for anything!
But I was wearing a knee brace.

If your just after casual work to begin with, then bar work can be a good place to start, it'll give you money in your pocket and it can give you your days free to look for other stuff and do interviews. Your night life might suffer, but bar work got me through a-levels and uni. Ask in your local and see if they're after extra staff. Most Bars are...

Agencies are also a good place as they tend to put you onto good jobs which pay reasonably well, so your on the right track, but be aware they don't always put you forward for jobs you might be suitable for, and can take some time to come through.

Your local Job Center may be able to help as they'll list a lot more than agencies, I'm not sure what the regulations are involved there. i.e. do you have to be out of work for so long, or do they expect you to sign on. But I doubt they'll mind if you go in and ask.

Also try some Job Seaker web sites. There are many around, and since your in Croyden, London isn't that far away (c2c comuter every week day is not too expensive, £5 return I think?) so you might want to look at working there instead of just locally...

I hope some of this helps, and hope you make it to the Navy eventually!

PsyB.

nightsdarkchildmember
84 posts

Posted:
Well Ill offer you a job here in N. Ireland.

does that go for any one BigDAV? i am interested.

we could live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
swim out past the breakers watch the world die

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
thats really poo, sure you find something sooner or later

i dont have much advice on job hunting as i have never earnt a penny which i feel quite crap about at times, but i have never needed to

bigs hugs

it will get better i promise

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

MTM MonsterMoat monster
208 posts

Posted:
Don't get a job that involves fruit in any way shape or form.

that's the best advice i can give you.

A good deal of growr, some grr and quite a bit of snarl, spit and some biting. just a regular day at the office.

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
You should really put some thought into what you want to do. Look at yourself deeply and think about what different types of jobs you could do well at. If you're competitive and able to deal well with people, try a sales job. If you like to work with your hands and you don't mind getting a little dirty/sweaty, try a factory job. If you've got some personality and you think you would like a fast-paced job, try serving food or bartending. If you end up doing any of these jobs, and you're responsible and mature, aim for management eventually.

If you just blindly look about for jobs, you'll find a bunch of them that you're not well-suited for, and therefore, you won't like and won't stay long at them. Unless you think it's fun to change jobs constantly and get crappy starter's pay every time, of course...

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
theres a big demand for people to work with kids,supporting special needs,no qualifications needed but they will do a police check on u..think about it,playing with under 5s??it's magic!!its a start,anyway.

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
Hi nightsdarkchild

One of my jobs is in the security business and we are always looking for more staff. No qualifications needed and no police check. It pays min. wage - £4.50/hour from next month but its cheap enough to live here so its still a good wage.

Do you actually live in N. Ireland? If so where abouts? and when would u be looking to start?

fire heartmember
33 posts

Posted:
hey alice,
i joined the navy wen i was 16, but unfortunatly i left las year n it was the biggest mistack i ever made, as im only 18, i really wish i stayed.
it might b worth a try goin 2 the job centre n sighnin on the do;e, beter thn nuthin.
do u liv newhere near bedfordshire? coz ill b able 2 get u a job with me if u know bout computers. £1000 take home a mounth, all u got 2 do is answer fones 2 ppl that cant work there pc's or use the net. u need to know all the reboot systems/commands n setup files/format n ur away.
wot u recon?

fire heartmember
33 posts

Posted:
on a mor personal note, ill let u liv with me n do all i say. u get a free meal wen u cook it n giv a personal masage allover

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
on a mor personal note, ill let u liv with me n do all i say. u get a free meal wen u cook it n giv a personal masage allover
with an offer like that alice how can you refuse?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the offer...but i'm looking for something in Croydon (near to home)

happyboymember
7 posts

Posted:
hi pink
im sorry to hear about your nee
i hope you fill beter soon

big

look after your self matey

andy

firedancingfairyenthusiast
201 posts

Posted:
I guess I can't really help cos I'm in Australia but I'm guessing that you've done the obvious stuff like handing out your resume at coffee shops, restaurants etc... so I gave your situation a bit of thought, and maybe you could get a busking licence and doing fire poi an dother fun stuff in a busy, funky area in which you live. This is utilizing your talents AND doing something you are confident at and love!!! Other wise you could look into doing fire shows! Yes, I know they are not very steady or reliable with finacial flow... but I tried! Have you thought of finding an old lonely man/woman and taking care of them, and doing chores around the house for them... maybe that could get some money! Probably not enough though... hmmmmmm... I'll keep brainstorming... In the mean time- don't worry! Know that everything works out and have faith that the most wonderful situation is just around the corner for you... and maybe the universe is just preparing you for it! Enjoy each moment, and express your feelings of fear and confusion to your mom! I'm sure she'll understand or think of ways she can help you. Good luck sista!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Thanks, I dont want to do much on my knee you see thats why it's so hard i could get a job easily in a shop but that would be a lot of strain to my knee.

thanks once again.