Forums > Social Chat > What do you wear when you perform firestuff?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
The subject says it all, really.

I'm just trying to get different ideas of what people wear when spinning for an audience.

Raph

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Black, cotton tank top and jeans. The jeans are usualy phat pants, which isn't really the best option, but the denim is really thick and I've learned to manuever in them.^-^

P*L*U*R

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I have this cute little two piece number, shows wayyy too much of my legs, but eh, why not, they ain't getting any younger

*ahem*

alright, carharts and a relatively tight white undershirt.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Utilikilt, knee-high black leather boots, and a black cotton tank-top. Excellect protection, unless you tend to hurl your poi straight up at your crotch from the floor.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Benjaminmember
39 posts

Posted:
Hehehe, I know someone who wears a kilt when she's spinning, and said the same thing about the poi coming straight up... *sigh* I need a kilt, but alas, I am in college and poor. I wear semi-baggy black jeans (thick denim, cause I set a lot of fires on myself with my torches for effect) and preferably no shirt, if any, it's black, because I like the fire to be as visible as possible. One of my favorite pair of pants to wear has a nice sized hole torn in the back of the right knee (Thrift store special $2 JNCOS) I'm just waiting for a flaming poi to fly right into the hole during a leg wrap and cause me to have to shave my left leg for symetry... ok, enough of that. Yeah!
-Benjamin

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
a fat suit and an elvis costume uh uh huh
now go make me a peanut butter and bannana smamich prescilla

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
nothing......

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
dentarssi! did you have2 too?!cant you just go back to sleep i know ford woke you up, but thats NO escuse!

i wear my 118 118 running top and a paint on Bolts jeans, they're baggie but not too baggie, to make it hard to spin!

other than that a pair of sheos sometime but lil else!

Step (el-nombrie)

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Fairly tight demin and usually an SDL armoured corset type thing, though I'm getting into wraps now and the chain hurts the tops of my arms so I'm looking around for something with sleeves.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I usually wear a tight tank top and tight jeans, usually dark colours but if its a chilly night ill wear a jumper, mainly so i can do arm wraps and not burn myself

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I wear black fatigue pants and a black t-shirt, usually with a funny slogan or something, when I spin.

But for performance? I'm not sure if something a bit more...flashy would be cool.

I found pants with holographic designs on them that I think might look incredible against the flame of the poi, but I think they may only come in tights.

Any good ideas?

Raph

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I try to stay away from black as much as I can. I wear black leather pants sometimes but that is it now. I know in my promo photo's on my site I am in all black and that is because I haven't updated them in YEARS. But those photo's taught me a hugely valuable lesson. Black at night can not be seen, therefore Pele at night can not be seen and it is not much of a show when you can not see the performer.

I wear alot of reflective things now. I like to stay away from things that are red, orange, yellow or flame patterned as well because it is beyond cliche and every other performer I have seen does the same thing.

So, to recap, black during the day, bright or reflective at night because each actually makes the fire stand out more as well as bringing attention to the performer. I make alot of my costuming, and have alot of decorated bellydance bra type things, vests, etc....

Don't know if this prolly helps much but hey...I'm trying!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Pele,

Sounds more of the kind of thing I'm looking for...would you consider making performance costume for someone else?

Raph

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
jeans and a t-shirt

¿

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
hey pele your web page link in your profile is broken i think. it no workie jus to let you know

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
black clothes, old clothes, tight clothes, occationally acidently brand new jeans and hooddie that really dont look good covered in black marks, catsuits..................

no wait ! id never wear a catsuit doing fire

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Raphael...I have made costumes, and designed them, for others. It is something I enjoy doing. Send me a pm about what you are performing at specifically and I might be able to help.

https://www.Pyromorph.com

Social side is club stuff.
Ren side is well, era themed.
Check it soon because all of it is about to change! Mwahahahahaha!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
vest, singlit, tank top what ever you wanna call it (shirt with no sleaves) and long pants not to baggy but definately not too tight.

sometimes w/o shirt, (aint i sexy)

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i wear whatever i'm wearing. I've done it in kilt(i am a bagpiper) ive done it in jeans, i've done it in whatever. Its the poi that matter, not you.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

FlamingMonkeymember
50 posts

Posted:
i usually wear jeans that are too big for fire play, and one of my favourite t-shirts, as i've yet to figure out that if i want my fav clothes clean i shouldn't do fire poi in them. never mind eh?

Monkey see, Monkey do...

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark1:
Its the poi that matter, not you.
I couldn't disagree more. In the best performances I've seen, it was the flow and look of the person combined with the flow of the poi that made it great.

E pluribus unum, baby.

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
Go the st vinnies or salvos for twirling clothes. Knowing my klutzy tendancies to leave with lovely scorch marks, its the safest bet. And you're helping out charities too.

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I have yet to spin fire yet, but my kevlar is in the air. However, the pants i will be wearing are going to be my work pants (they are black "Green Tag Sobeys" pants) because i've got like... 4 pairs laying around if i manage to burn one it won't matter. I was thinking of getting black thread and sewing a flame pattern on them though.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
I normally wear a black elements shirt with black jeans or a singlet with just normal pants.

XF

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yay fer fisherman's pants! i dunno how they swim in 'em though!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Yeah, once again I must agree with Pele:
Black is OUT.
While many firedancers have goth backgrounds and like to dress up in black leather, chaps, and stuff, it just doestn't add to the visual effect.
I have switched over to bright red, striped, and day glo orange costuming.
Plus stilts, wings, masks, etc., add astra aspirum...

Maximus Ego

Lasa'nta Dubh Mac Tiremember
51 posts

Posted:
I rather like black when showin' i rather people see my fire then me. but i don't like to be seen at all anyway so but noramly the same black tank top ' wife beater '( i hate that name but it's a common one) black jeans black hat my nice black with blue flame hottopic hat and my studded leather van bracers.

Nothing goes through the Lunitics dark mind... By his own Decaying HeartI love the little tacos... I love them goood G.i.rI'm gunna roll around on the floor for abit k? G.i.r

Scarmember
9 posts

Posted:
Thinking of buying a basic harness and leather armor just on the shoulders. Hope it's not too restricting. Anyone ever try any type of armor while doing staff or sword?

CatastrophicBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
As far as pants go, I must highly recommend Martial Arts Gi pants, cause they are baggy, gusseted and 100% cotton, and made to MOVE- unlike my Carhartts (though I love them still)

Oooh, and leather arm-braces too

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
..ickle, tight corderoy hipster flairs and my bikini top when I'm playing for fun... I'm pretty pale so you can see me in the moon light

gots to be careful with wraps and stuff, but I've got them nailed after lots of practise, no burny - well most of the time ascidents happen.

we tend to wear all black when we're playing for someone else tho..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
depends on if i'm performing or practicing. i used to wear a whole leather outfit...leather pants and leather halter top, but it gets WAY too hot and sweaty. so these days i usually wear black cotton boy shorts (yay victoria secrets!), a black tank top or black bra, and knee high black leather boots.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Page: