Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Okay, so in school, I have to make a magazine... And, of course, I chose to make a mag on poi, and fire arts... But I can't think of some things... Like, a title. Everything I think of is so stupid sounding, lol.

But not just a title, any suggestions would be helpful, like what I should write my articles on, and how to fill in the other things I need to do for it.

In all, I have to do 9 different things:
- article(s)
- interview
- advertizements
- short story
- Entertainment review
- Editorial
- Letters to the Editor
- Quiz
- Dear ____
- Events list

The due date is Oct 31, but I have to have all the general info in by Wed.

HELP!!!

I like orange.And don't take my cookies.

Benjaminmember
39 posts

Posted:
How about: Spin
Oh, crap, nobody would ever buy a magazine with a name like that. Burn spray and sterile wrap advertisements. Letters to the editor should contain at least two angry parents of crispy children. How about an interview with the world's oldest, shortest, tallest or least popular fire performer. Oh, and an editorial response to the angry parents of crispy children who should have taken more of an interest in what their kids were doing before their trips to the burn ward. Entertainment review could involve nekkid fire spinning! It's almost 5 in the morning, I'm finally home from work, and I think it's about time to pass out, so that's all I've got for now. Best of luck, and I want to see this magazine when it's finished.
-Benjamin

caniffisSILVER Member
60 posts

Posted:
hi there how about a title that is simply POI i know its simple and not amazingly inventive but look at other magazines... they all have simple names like computer world or jazz or bizzare, telling the reader instantly what the magazine is about!
as for articles you could write one one the diverse background of spinners and have interview from spinners you know on what they do when not spinning. title could be "not all fire and vice, see the other side of piromaniacs!"
also do article on the legal side by talking to the council and the local authorities about the rules and regs for spinning and ask the parents of those who do spin what they think of it. this will get you good marks from the school, remember that is what this is about!
as for advertisements and the like just stuff for performers wanted and equipment sold basic but simple.
make it for people who have no idea but with bits for the more advanced reader and performer. that way you show the marker you understanding of the reader rather than you only thinking about what you would read and not everyone else.
and for the letters ask your friends or people you don't know to ask you questions and then use those to answer. that way they do half the work for you.
hope this helps good luck.

What you don't know won't hurt you? well i intend to get to know as much as possible so that i can make sure no one else has to so they carn't get hurt.

AtomSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
YOU COULD SUBTITLE THE TITLE, LIKE SOME MAGS, CALL IT-
POI
THE FIRE WITHIN

F I R E F I R E F I R E F I R E F I R E

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
you could try a title that you make up (word wise) as opposed to trying to put in something like poi, fire etc.... something like

"xian"
"cykol"
"Zyklon" < ==== creummy black metal band name.. but i wouldn;'t worry about it... their pretty rubbish...

i dunno... avoid cliches.. else you might as well just hand in a couple of the Daily Mail...

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
whatever you do, use a nice page layout program whichever you know how to use, I know there are quite a few out there. Look at other professional magazines for inspiration on logos and layouts.

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Hmm... Thanks all for the tips, especially benjamin... gotta use some of that stuff, if you don't mind ^__^

So, I still need a name for tomorrow... and I'll start writing the articles soon.

And, of course, I'll post a version on here for all to see ^^

As for programs, and layouts, this'll be the third magazine I've done for school in two years, and by this time, I've gotten it down pat. I use Adobe Photoshop 5.0 (shut up if you have higher, I don't wanna hear it >.< We get ours for free from my father's work) for graphics, and for layout, I use Adobe Pagemaker, which has never let me down thus far. I'm pretty sure that my mags come out quite professional looking for my age, if I do say so myself ^^'

But thanks again, everyone, and if I need anymore... I'll just post again ^^

Benjaminmember
39 posts

Posted:
Thanks! I'd be honored for any of my odd ideas to be used... But, I demand 87% of all profits along with two big gold trophies with topless women on top of them and a gold plate with the inscription, "Given to Benjamin in recognition of being the world's greatest school magazine projoct thinker-upper" Yeah, of course I realise they charge by the letter... Also, check it out, I'm an American who spells realise with an 's' Thanks a lot Harry Potter imports!
-Benjamin

AtomSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
WOW that was deep, reeeeeel deeeeeeeeep

quote:
Do it, you know you want to, everyones doing it, c'mon, just once

Bobo DCLmember
141 posts

Posted:
Hmm... I really hate to admit it, but I am, after all a poor starving student, and no, I wouldn't have the money to give you tropihes of topless women. I hope you reali*z*e this, and... uhh, I dunno, I just wanted to make a sentance with realize in it, because it's spelt with a z. And colo*u*r, and flavo*u*r... And whatever else.

However... I could mention you in the editor's note if you absoluetly MUST have recognition... XDD

But I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of HoP refrences... I don't think I'd get into any legal... stuff... *shrugs*

I'll also need a lot of pictures.... of people doing poi. And I actually like to have people's permissoin to use them... but I'll post that later, if I must. >.<'

Heeeey.... I need to write a short story on poi.... I wonder how that's going to work out... meh, I'll figure it out later... ^__^

EDIT: And as for the title, I named it "poi moeru" We all know what poi is, and moeru is "burn" in Japanese romanji... according to my dictionary. I just thought it had a nice ring to it.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
advertisments,do one for homeofpoi, and some 'funny' ones, like 'fire spinner for sale, only one carefull owner, needs 4 litres of paraffin per day, will busk for own food/smokable substances'

hmmmm

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no