a) Airwolf

b) Knightrider

give reasons.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Airwolf stank...and had bad ratings, and no english accent, and didn't have a cool musical intro.

The two good things it had was

1. No big curly haired lanky guy with his shirt open...

2. They onyl showed the first season here in NZ (was there any extra ones?)

Knightrider was ahead of it's time in so many ways...

It realised the need for seperate funny incidents between KIT and some random character

It had the COOLEST INTRO music ever.
It did the starwars thing of using technology to tell a knight-in-shining-armour story.
The horse substitute was cool
KIT talked about himself
The storylines were crap, but did push the boundary of sci-fi in a subtle way that many non-scifi people were affected without even knowing.
It was playing while i was growing up, and so i didn't see all the crap as crap until later...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
Oh charles Imgonna have to disagree with you dear old dad.
Airwolf was the Buisness.
Why?
The tech,man airwolf was techy buttons here knobs there and no bad perm anywhere!
Also airwolf had the techyist base,all up inside a hollow montin not a truck that wouldnt even stop to let them in.
Go the Airwolf series and the movie!
Pitty bout the lack of a cool theme song.
Does anyone remember streethawk?I think that was what it was called.It had the backflipping moterbike.maby it was nighthawk?
Anyone?

Markeespark Sparkeemark & me

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles:
Airwolf stank...and didn't have a cool musical intro.

Charles!

We've had a few minor differences of opinion in the past, but I didn't think I'd see the day when you when you would achieve such a depth of sheer wrongness as this.

Airwolf had possibly the most inspirational, cool and downright exiting theme tune ever.

I will, in due course present an extensive list of reasons why Airwolf was far superior to Knight rider, but to be honest it's theme tune alone is sufficient.

I can only assume your memory is decieving you, go to this link and wait for the music to start, then we can talk again: -

https://www.davidpanther.plus.com/ftc/contents.html

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by markeespark:

Airwolf was the Buisness.

Nice one.
quote:

Pitty bout the lack of a cool theme song.

See my reply above.
quote:

Does anyone remember streethawk?I think that was what it was called.It had the backflipping moterbike.maby it was nighthawk?
Anyone?

We'll have none of this here, it's Airwolf and Knight rider only; the A-team, Baywatch, Charlies angels and any hawky thingy can have their own threads please.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
sorry must stick to the topic!
no ganja for 1hr as a punishment!
harsh but fair.harsh but fair... .. . ..

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Naaa...It's only really Knightrider

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
I have 7 words for you charles
Ernist Borgnite.(pls forgive the spelling ernist)

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Well, lets ask some of the more tech-savvy of us to hunt out how often KR has been played worldwide and nationally and how often..um...whats it called again...Earwulf????, has been played?

Surely that will answer the question for us...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
No lets not talk about the global opression of good TV.
you could also look up nieghbours and see how thats doing!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Airwolf had better music, was a helicopter that lived in a cave in the desert.

Somewhat limited by plotlines and things it could do, places it could visit etc. Much in the same way as Flipper (how much use is a dolphin in a car chase?)

Hence the introduction of "the Company" wanting to steal it back and the glamorous Caitlin - as the will-she-won't-she-love-interest. Plot devices to help get further series.

Most notable copy - the movie Blue Thunder

Only made 1 series and notice how it never ever gets repeated?

Knightrider - the only good cop on the force (Michael Long) is wronged by his partner, double crossed. Then shot in the face

After corrective surgery, gets improbably adopted by Devon (a typical English name?) Knight and given a new identity and a fancy car. all this to fight those criminal who "operate above the law"

Good premise. managed about 3 series. Plus 2 spin offs. Including Knightrider 2000. In which there is no KITT (cos he was sent to the crusher - alhtough how an indestructable car gets crushed is beyond me. And surely if he has intelligence he could just drive away...)

Most notable copy - Streethawk

Streethawk (I know you said don't mention it but i have a justifiable reason) was a Knightrider copy. Same basic plot: A wronged police officer gets a new identity to fight crime aided by an impossibly fast vehicle.

As to which is best, they both had their merits. Personally I preferred Airwolf. But that's not to say that I didn't like t'other one...

But if you watch either of them now you'll wonder what you used to see in them....

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Oh and Ernest Borgnine played Dominic Santini (owner of Santini Air).

Jan Michael Vincent played Stringfellow Hawke (his partner and pilot of Airwolf).

Just showing off my trivia skills....

Can't remember who played Caitlin though. Jean someone

Meh

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I liked Airwolf better.

Raph

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've just done a bit of research on the net and apparently the last series of Airwolf was shit, with none of the original characters in it.

I expect those of you who reckon Knight Riders better will have seen that series and not the really good ones that came before it.

Also found this quote which sums up Airwolf quite well: -

'Out of all of the 80's tv shows featuring sleek, sexy black vehicles this was one of the best. '

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Update: -

Currently the posts are four to one in favour of Airwolf.

C'mon Knightrider fans, Don't be shy!

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh, it's SO Airwolf. First, it flies. Second, it can go faster than sound. Third, it doesn't have stupid lights blinking across the front. Fourth, it has a cooler theme song. Fifth, it fires missiles.

I mean, where's the contest?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
And sixth (not that i agree with 5), the action was boring

I once again, refer to how often each series has been aired worldwide, and how many TV companies (whose business it is to know) thought they would sell more advertising due to the higher number of watchers.

Humbly, of course...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Whilst Airwolf was cool as because it had a character called Dominic in it, I might have to go for Knight Rider. Whilst the helicopter was cool it really didn't do that much. A lot of the show would be them on the ground, then at the end they'd jump into Airwolf to blow up a car/helicopter/rock/whatever.

In Knight Rider the car was cool as (evil KIT - KAT - was cooler tho) and was invloved throughout the episode. The car had personality and upstaged Hasselhoff. And it being a car you can actually imagine you'er driving it. I still imagine I'm pushing the turbo button everytime I turn the rear window heater on. Sound effects and all!

And there were more beautiful girls in Knight Rider. And then they added a guy riding a moterbike for a series - a black guy none the less, so helping break social stereotypes.

And in the pilot when Michael is shot the wound keeps shifting from his left to his right shoulder. You can't pay for that kinda quality!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:

I once again, refer to how often each series has been aired worldwide, and how many TV companies (whose business it is to know) thought they would sell more advertising due to the higher number of watchers.

Humbly, of course...

Popularity is no indication of quality though.
Look at the present low quality of blockbuster movies, there's a fair bit of controversy at the moment about the major studios policies of creating formula films and eliminationg creativity.

Also, I don't know what your music tastes are, but do you go for the popular stuff in the charts etc?

I'm inclined to say that the fact that Knightrider is so liked by the major tv companies is actually clear indication of it's much higher level of blandness than Airwolf.

Look how popular 'Baywatch' is!

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
airwhat? AIRWHAT??
You're all insane. Well, all except maybe Dom and Charles. Knight Rider was by far THE best action show of the 80's. Add to that a good dose of Sooty & Sweep, the Smurfs, Transformers, Astroboy, and The Goodies - and you've got yourself a well-balanced television viewing diet to grow up on. Yummmmmm.

*please note, I've never actually seen Airwolf, let alone heard of it, but please be aware that this Does Not invalidate my vote.

[ 16. September 2003, 02:19: Message edited by: falloutboy ]

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Both TV shows had their moments...

Stringfellow sitting on the dock of his log cabin playing his cello, Michael knights... erm... Michael Knights contractural obligation to make it with the main actress, and well... his perm was good...

Both had the obligitory high tech black transport device. And where Knight Rider had Kit and Karr, Airwolf had the black and red Airwolf's, although the red one had lasers!

But to completely change direction...
Does any one remember a similar 80's TV show, where the main character used to come out of the sidekicks computer... they had a car which was outlined with blue neon lights and used to make 90 degree turns... can anyone remember what it was called!?!

And come on, your all forgetting about "Manamal"

PsyB.

fire heartmember
33 posts

Posted:
NOOOOOOO!!!!
IM NEW TO THIS ROOM AN WAS DISGUSTED THAT KNIGHT RIDER ISNT BEIN VOTED AS MUCH AS IT SO SHOULD!!! hav you herd the remix of the kniterider tune? infact theres been several..an they all kick ass!!! air walf has a sad drivly theme.. my m8 just sed u ppl r sick tryin 2 compar the worlds best ever car 2 a minjy lil choper!!!
peace out

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Okay, it's hotting up now, currently 5-3 in favour of Airwolf
quote:
Originally posted by falloutboy:
*please note, I've never actually seen Airwolf, let alone heard of it, but please be aware that this Does Not invalidate my vote.
I've invalidated your vote falloutboy.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I think the show with the guy popping out of the computer was "Automan"
He learned everything from observation and interaction, which led to a funny scene where he saw a guy playing piano, then sat down and played "Great Balls of Fire" while singing along!

Just another quick off-topic comment, the A-Team was the funniest show of the 80's. I mean, thousands of rounds of ammo being shot off and all the bullets do is shot out the tires of cars, kick dust up from people's feet and blow things up to send the bad guys flying through the air so Mr. T can then punch them out!

It doesn't get better than that!

Raph

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Knightrider has to win - purely because i have petrol running through my veins( which makes spinning fire interesting!!!)

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Airwolf, it was much classier

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Knightrider wins for exactly the reasons Dom said...and because I'm biased...

OneWheelDave, how can you invalidate a vote? The fact that this person has seen KnightRider and doesn't think it's crap makes me think his vote counts as much as anyone elses. So he hasn't seen Earwulf...

I've seen Earwulf, and it was crap! (in my opinion).

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Psylent_Bob

I think you are thinking of the movie "Tron"

But I could be wrong.

It was a video game too.

as for the vote, I think I used to love them both equaly, but that was back when I was young and I would have to watch them again to know it there was any suckyness.

When you are younge you don't notice things teh same. I used to like the transformer shows, but after watching them again I realy how lame they are in many places. (sorry transformer fans, if it makes you feel any better, I thought they were great at the time)

So anyways, I can't realy vote because I liked them both equaly well. Knight Rider had the cool AI car, Airwolf blew shit up (and you always knew something was gona get blown up at the end of each episode, but it never got boring).... seems like an even balance to me.

Now McGuyver, THAT was a good show, even if some of the science got a little fuzzy (semi-psuedo scientific) on rare occations. And I would have carried a gun in addition to the handy swiss army knife.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:

OneWheelDave, how can you invalidate a vote? The fact that this person has seen KnightRider and doesn't think it's crap makes me think his vote counts as much as anyone elses. So he hasn't seen Earwulf...

I've seen Earwulf, and it was crap! (in my opinion).

Charles, the fact that this person has seen KnightRider and doesn't think it's crap would only be relevant in conjuction with the fact that he'd also seen Airwolf and thought it to be more or less crap.

Also, Charles, I take exception to your use of the term 'Earwulf', it's a childish dig and a dirty tactic in what most people are taking as a serious and dignified debate.

Do you realise that this is a moderated forum? I don't want to have to report your posts.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
MacGuyver bothered me. Some of the stuff that he came up with was cool, but stopping an acid leak with bars of chocolate? That kind of thing just seemed...wacky, even if scientifically possible.

He was just a poor man's James Bond without the class and hot girls.

Raph

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Onewheeldave
Charles!

We've had a few minor differences of opinion in the past, but I didn't think I'd see the day when you when you would achieve such a depth of sheer wrongness as this.

Dave, you can't ask for other opinions, and then tell them their wrong...

And anyway... the truth remains that Knightrider was full of heart stopping action from the starting credits to the cheesey 80's ending... you just can't beat Kit...

Sure Air wolf was a pretty cool bellypopper, with a few guns and stuff, but... it should have ended the story in a firey death... along with it producers...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Page: