onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Something to discuss: -

'The most effective contribution to world peace an individual can make is to focus on achieving inner peace within themselves'

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Why aren't you in bed?

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
You can make peace with your bed.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
yes but it's 2am in Sheffield. No matter how many wheels a person has they should sleep sometimes...

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yoko Ono says she's prepared to take her clothes off again in the name of world peace.

So there's a message for the world leaders - stop bickering or that irrating woman will get her kit off....

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Could be worse,,,, she could take her clothes off and sing!!! No, No, the horror!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Do you think Dave actually went to bed? Only i notice he didn't come back to discuss the subject with us....

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
He might be cowering in fear at the thought of Yoko Ono. Or maybe in bed with thoughts of Yoko Ono. No, No, the Horror!!!

Djnnmember
79 posts

Posted:
i've never seen two people get farther away from a topic about peace as quickly as you two just have
you both need to get "yo ko" off your minds
and the f@ uk out of your beds

"Sweet jesus how the hell did she get in here"
you yell as you turn around to see her preping to shatter your eardrums with her song for peace

-djinn

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by frostypaw:
quote:
'The most effective contribution to world peace an individual can make is to focus on achieving inner peace within themselves'
hear hear

peace with yourself - truly understanding yourself and your motivations/fears lets you see the world unguarded and uncoloured by your prejudices and fears

I agree. Knowing and accepting our fears as physical sensations, mental thought process and simply that, not things that trap us, allows them to be faced, overcome and create internal peace. As this happens our world expands as we are able to open up to more & stop the external aggression which arises when people face fears that they think they are trapped by.
It is a tough path to walk, but the rewards are grand.

I wouldn't call it religous, more just human & natural.
"God has no religion." Mahatma Gandhi

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Djinn I see you're not familiar with my topic dragging skills....

You should check out some threads from a few years ago and see how far off topic i managed to get them.

I used to get in such trouble from the Mods (till they learnt to love me )

If Flash Fire bothered to come on these days she could tell you some stories.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
By the way the yoko ono stuff was on topic. Hence it mentioning World and peace.

I, in fact, went off topic when i asked Onewheeldave why he wasn't in bed at 2am. An answer which i am yet to be furnished with...

Meh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by onewheeldave:
Something to discuss: -

'be the change that you wish to see in the world'
-Gandhi
so the first place to effect world change is within the individual. so i guess that means I'll stop having to tip cows.
:grumpily pouts in the corner:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Stubbsmember
31 posts

Posted:
That's pretty much the ultimate grassroots movement. While there is something to be said for small-scale efforts, I think this is too miniscule to be effective.

I'm sure anyone that's been involved in activist circles will agree the complexity of all the problems that need solving and the necessary rapidity of pace demand some fairly aggressive approaches. In a purely abstract, philosophical sense, yes -- carving your own little niche of kindness is a step towards total harmony. However, in reality, we just don't have time to wait for everyone to jump on that particular bandwagon before the world goes down the crapper.

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
stubbs you are either with us or against us. the world is no where near a gurler, is it? love is the most powerful force in this universe, its so powerful people are afraid of it. wars suggest that people aren't really to afraid of anger and its resulting guns and bombs. love is on the inside. As jesus once said '...You are completely wrong!...And you don't know anything...'

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Stubbs:
the complexity of all the problems that need solving and the necessary rapidity of pace demand some fairly aggressive approaches.
Our first dissenter!

you are most welcome for you have penetrated to the root of the dilema on this matter: -

is acting on the external move effective than changing the internal?

Let the debate proceed!

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

6,978 posts

Posted:
itsgottab, i thought the most powerful force inthe universe was the decepticons? i could be wrong...

6,978 posts

Posted:
if we are speaking of groups of people, then does it not hold true that the external consists of many lots of the internal? they are the same, at different scales.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm reading a book at the minute but my memory sucks so correct me if I'm wrong. I think many scholars of the Koran believe that Jihad refers to the struggle within as opposed to holy war.

I believe her real name is Yodo Omo btw.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bender™:
if we are speaking of groups of people, then does it not hold true that the external consists of many lots of the internal? they are the same, at different scales.
Yes.

But, in my view, we each have dierct access and a reasonable amount of control over our own internal states.

We don't have direct access or control over over peoples internal states.

So, to change our own behaviour is a matter of decisions; to influence others is a matter of discussion, persuasion, coercion etc.

It's not that cut and dried of course, genuine personal change is not an easy thing to bring about, most of us have a lot of misconceptions about how we tick; but, given a reasonable state of self development we can gain a lot of control about how we are.

The same is not true about the external.

Addressing the original question, none of what I've just said answers it because many would maintain that even though we can have less influence over the external, that lesser amount is of more value for bringing about world peace.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
jesus says first clean the inside and then the outsise will be clean. he was talking to the dirty rabbis of the day, who were quite impressed with themselves and there position amougst the jews

just in case you want to read the masters words Matthew 23:26 and the surrounds.