Forums > Social Chat > Firemen do not make for good aduenices

Login/Join to Participate

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
All I can say to this one is umm OPPS. Seeing as it's been less then a week since I've lit up I've been showing it to everyone I can. There's a small town fair type thing going on where I live and they had a fireworks show. So about 5 or 10 mins befor they set them off I decided to walk out to thier little taped off area and spin for a bunch of ppl.. Little did I know that every city fireman and the fire marshall was getting ready for the fireworks show. I had one nice show too didn't mess up once after I got done I heard a voice saying "YOU GET OVER HERE !!!NOW!!". So I walked over and he was well... less then short with me sayin he would have me arrested if he saw me light them up again and a few other things.. somehow he managed to talk without one swear word dunno how. After all that was done and he said his peice I walked away and got some glowsticks and went back over and had a nice talk with the luenitent to find out how I could legally do it, he said somethin about lookin it up in the libary he didn't even know which firecode it fell under. "btw I called the fire station twice during the day to make sure it was all right and the luenitent said it would be fine aslong as I was out in the field"I live in ohio, could someone give me a phone number to call for the permit, And what type of insurance was he talking about? Also any idea on how much it costs for both would be very helpful.Peace out, and watch who you perform for I guess not everyone thinks this is the coolest thing in the world.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I remember spinning along the seine river and a bunch of policemen and firemen passed by (I was actually just near their office...)which I didn't know. They just smiled and said "clever girl doing it near water".Anyway, I had a discussion with them and they told me it was 100 % OK to do it in the streets and all (well... you still gotta be clever about the spot you chose) what is illegal (but they don't say much in general) is to ask for money.Chance is that they are maybe bullshitting you ... Or mystaking you for some pyromaniac (ooooooops... same word in english ?)Or is intolerance and stupidity that bad where you live ?Good luck smileShine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Many reasons for the flip out here Knagi.Crossing a taped off line without permission?Performing anywhere within a few hundred yards of where they are shooting off fire works?They don't know who you are or what you are doing but they see you flinging fire around in people's faces without permission. I can see their point. Next time I suggest you approach them at the site as well as calling. Even when people describe what they do, the mantal images are not really close to what it truly is, you know? They were just doing their job.Anyway, Clowns of the U.S./Al Fellerman Agency is a great insurance company. There have been many threads about insurance so either search for them or search the internet for the company name I listed. It is $95/yr for $2 million in coverage. As for permits, they are usually issued on a case by case as needed basis, so I suggest you make friends with the local fire marshall, since it seems like you will be seeing much of him!Best of luck! ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Cassandra,I am not surprised that cops and firemen would be so lax seeing you spin in Paris. It's a very different ballgame in the US and even though i've lived here for 3 years now, i am still surprised or shocked by the uptightness of law enforcement people here (i could go as far as saying "totalitarian" attitude on some occasions, it's really scary). So i do miss the laid-back attitude of France and the greater freedom we enjoy there.Everytime i spin fire in Boston, i do it in remote places (small parks, backyards, beaches) because i am sure cops would bother me if they saw me. I plan to do quick spinning sessions in very public places though with a photographer friend: soak my poi at home, just spin once, don't carry fuel or a bucket, take a couple of pictures, and split!Yesterday, i went to a street fair in Rhode Island with Peregrine and Xestrel. We were denied a fire permit so spun zuni poi instead in the parade and then set up in the street to teach kids how to spin. When it got darker, i reeeeaaly wanted to light up but with cops around, i knew it was a no-go. Welcome to the land of the free...I hope i don't offend any Americans on this board by being critical towards this country. I'm pretty sure you guys understand my views though.Nomad

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Wooooooooooooo, yeah, you're right Nomad, there is indeed a huge difference... frownI say why don't you all come to Paris for a huge SPIN. smileshine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
Scary... with our laws becoming harder and harder following the american model... brrrr frownMust be hard to live such unfair repression... if you do fire in the street w/o permit what are the penal risks ???[This message has been edited by dask (edited 23 June 2001).]

o]-[DasK]-[o

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
You dont offend me in any way Nomad. I dont know if this used to be a great country or not, but judging from all the lies that our History books teach us, the truth about the oppression of Native Americans, and the hypocrisy of our government, I dont think so. We are just another government body... I am a somewhat anti-American American. grin------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

StarFireSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
My spinning buddies and I have had a couple run-ins with state-sponsored "officials" as well. We've found that firefighters fall into one of two categories:1) either they are aghast at seeing fire so seemingly out of control and order it stopped immediately; or2) they think it's the coolest thing they've ever seen and become our biggest fans.Either way it's pretty entertaining . . . Although nobody seems to know the laws for public fire performance here either. We're trying to find out, but answers are proving elusive . . . Oh well. Until we find them, here's to getting busted again and again (and again and again . . . All in the same night . . . )

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
Spinning in Scotland has been no problem at all, whether busking for money or just having fun. At worst I've been moved on a couple of times but usually only when people have been drumming too or I've found I'm on land owned by shops. The police often stop to watch, even in places like Holyrood Park here in Edinburgh where fire is banned. However insurance is a good idea, as is a fire blanket and first aid kit. If you do get into trouble it shows that you are taking good precautions and are not some lunatic. I also suggest taking sand to put down in public places so it doesnt become slippy especially when fire breathing and spinning off carefully.All common sense really. I'm just lucky I live in such a liberated place!

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
yeah man i would hate to live in a country where you cant spin fire in the street, but it is fine and dandy to put a bullet in someone who comes onto your property!!I am fortunate that i have friends who live in the 'sticks' as it were and we can spin without any bother even so there is a local nightclub that allows a few of my freinds to spin out side the club as part of a weekly club event!! mad isnt it?peace smile

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Getting permission to perform is almost garaunteed if you ask first and appear professional. Most people,(fireman more than most) are scared of fire and what it can do and have not seen many firedancers. They aren't aware of how controlled it can be, especially in a tight arc around ourself. Also of note is that those who are responsible for public safety will often stop performers if they think it's safe, but someone might complain that it didn't LOOK safe afterwards. If you already have permission, this fear is a lot less and you can say to other officials that you have already got it. At the end of the day (boring I know), we need to be aware of who might lose their job or promotion if someone gets hurt, and realise that that is what they base their decisions on, not on how safe WE know it is. I always ask first, and after being turned down once, practised without lighting up for 5 minutes. When people asked if I was going to light up, I got them to go and talk to the official and ask him. After five minutes (and about 10 people asking him), he gave in anyway, and everyone was happy. He's since given me extra work at other events....!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?