Forums > Beginner Staff Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 3,319    Replies: 10
"Basic the idea behind this post is me being to lazy to have any ideas myself + not making it to the british i feel my staffing is lacking direction.What am looking for is something new ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,867    Replies: 22
"i have been doing poi for a bit now and though i knew about it i never thought about doing staff before.....i just watched the lessons and it looks really cool....my sister used to teac..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,067    Replies: 1
"Do a couple counter clockwise btb-overhead-btb passes.As stick leaves your left hand, bring said hand up to shoulder height, palm up. lock into place.complete the rotation in right han..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,779    Replies: 5
"Fire spinning a 3 section staff...that would rock. "
Last Reply by
Views: 12,280    Replies: 59
"Dear Aunty Marjorie,My friends are all into poi, and dance about doing all manner of funny technical swingamabobbery such as hypeduploops, vice-relations and jillycoopergans.but i like ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,661    Replies: 9
"I got my favourite staff a few months ago for practicing my weapon forms (I take Hwa Rang Do). It's 5ft tall (that's as big as I am) and the weight is pretty perfect. I wrapped some e..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,954    Replies: 30
"Hey I need some advice, I got a staff a while ago and its nice and all as it is but I feel like doing some modifications to it so I can get the most out of it. The middle of the staff w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,585    Replies: 16
"Can't lurk any longer, must share.I went in to Big5 to buy some new grip. Took a gamble on some new really thick rubbery tennis grip. Has a foam inner "bead" to it. It looked funny at f..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,923    Replies: 6
"Is somebody able to better explain woody's lesson 3 to me? Looking at it as it is on the screen doesn't make much sense to me - I think its just because of the animation being a bit shu..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,086    Replies: 2
"Front rotor, throw the staff up to about eye level. As it comes down, you stick your hand into the space between the whirling staff, spinning your arm to syncrhronize with, then overtak..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,643    Replies: 2
"does anyone know any other good sites for staff lessons?HOP is the only one I know (firetwirlers doesn't work )I know nearly any move here...and don't tell me to purchase art of staff ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,283    Replies: 24
"hah, this is a STAFF thread. its all about stick things. If you're stuck in a sticky rut, heres some moves to play with a staff:Every poi move where your in follow time (like the chase ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,662    Replies: 6
"I only just got my first 'asthetically pleasing' pass to crosses the other day and was thinking if anyone had any interesting ones it'd me nice to hear 'em.The one I got was BTB waist-w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,277    Replies: 12
"if you can do anything like a rvs 3-beat btb weave with poi this one shouldnt be too hard.as you cross behind you with one staff (helps if its going bkwds in rotation) switch the other ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,185    Replies: 22
"this is basicly for the non-fire spinners.I use this kind of staff--> "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,991    Replies: 3
"is there any way to speed up this move?? (¯`•¸·´¯)PÕÍ § ßØÌ(¯`·¸•´¯) "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,852    Replies: 5
"Right the basic idea behind this is to tie one poi to a staff and spin them together so the poi stays at a right angle to the staff. I think this would look abit odd done with only one ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,769    Replies: 1
"did I invent this move or has it existed before?here's how you do it (you must know the 4 finger 540 deg. to do this):(spin clockwise)(start with the left hand, but you might need to do..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,277    Replies: 2
"I'm a newb guys.And I wanna start using a proper staff instead of a hockey stick so i don't screw up my wrists.how long do you think an appropriate staff would be for a beginning about ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,336    Replies: 19
"I double twirl and i can continuosly spin the staff through my fingers in both hands (but only in one direction). From my view if the staff is in front of me, the way i can spin is, cl..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,718    Replies: 26
"having trouble locating a supplier of all these nice little glo toyz. In particular am looking for the staffs but poi would be kewl too...I don't see any of these for sale in the HOP s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,016    Replies: 17
"Recently customized my somewhat boring fire staff with eyelets and chains on the end for sum dubble wicking madness but i can atatch all sorts now which makes for grate viewing.Ne1 els ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,508    Replies: 11
"I've been working on throwing my stick in the air an pirouetting to catch it. Firstly I've found it quite dangerous. Once I've thrown it I check that it's been thrown in the correct pla..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,686    Replies: 7
"since ive come to somewhat of a halt in my poi-learning at the moment, ive decided to try and pick up staff...what were the best ways to start in your opinion? just curious and bored. ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,150    Replies: 9
"I just started spinning. I know a few vertical moves and horizontal moves, but stringing them together has become a problem. There are no moves I know of that can make the plane transit..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,453    Replies: 14
"variations of vertical figure 8 with double stavesorone monkey's arbitrary but useful way of thinking about sticksorthis was originally a reply to something else, but it mutated horribl..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,168    Replies: 5
"when the staff is in the wall plane and it goes from my shoulder across the front of my neck (im looking up at the stars) more often than not it ends up rolling over my face any ideas a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 18,733    Replies: 81
"is hereit's pretty hefty. but this is only the beginning hugsR "
Last Reply by
Views: 4,729    Replies: 12
"if you have no idea what im talking about u can see me doing it rather poorly at 1.40 through http://www.firetwirl.net/monkee/videos/contact_0002.wmvwith my new contact stick i can get ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,249    Replies: 5
"(I did a search and nothing came up)Thank you so much HoP for the Free Lessons... I just started as in about half an hour ago and the stick just spins so much!!! I love it!!!! Thank you..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,548    Replies: 8
"OK. What do people see as making a contact combo? The idea of a contact combo is something I keep coming across here but have not as yet fully understood. So speaking to any and all,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,612    Replies: 6
"When you do a Normal forward fishtail in your right hand, starting on your right, to move the staff over to the other side you kind of hook your hand around the frout of the staff and p..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,015    Replies: 12
"Any of you guys familiar with Samoan fire knife dancing?I've been twirling with contemporary long staves since about 1995.I thought I had taken my skills about as far as I could go, and..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,209    Replies: 1
"yeah . finally i discoverd a staff-move very easy. if you dont mind having no hair on your arms.pass your staff nun-tchako-style.its best that you hold your staff a little sideways so t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,195    Replies: 26
"My goal for this hols is learning to juggle 3 sticks.. i was wondering if anyone had any good theories on this.So far i've come up with throwing the right up forweds followed by the lef..."
Last Reply by
Views: 20,403    Replies: 21
"in yet another attempt to make the staff forum equivalent to that of the poi'ersnow i know that everybody learns new moves in staff just the same as poi, and since i just got a few myse..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,417    Replies: 3
"Hey everyone, wow its been a while since i last posted, geez Well I recently got myself a 4' fire staff from "Renegade Juggaling" and its nice and all to spin when its not lit. But once..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,207    Replies: 13
"does anyone know where(ie. internet site (or shop in newcastle)) i can find a staff that splits in three for travel but isnt conected by those stupid clips(think hospital crutches) but ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,763    Replies: 1
"Basicly, the idea is to jump while spinning the staff between or under your legs.Easyish one: wall plane, spinning clockwise in your right hand, lift your right leg, the leading end of ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,304    Replies: 21
"I've been poi(ing) for about a year and can do various other twirling based arts. Fire devil sticks, mmmm. But, i've never tried staff, although now people that can do it realise that i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,725    Replies: 19
"Is anyone here willing to share how they succesfully do a helicopter-type thing with a palm spin without near decapitation? I have been trying for a few weeks now with a lot of bruises ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,004    Replies: 8
"Fun things i've been working on recently...Contact stalls: Stopping a spinning staff horizontaly on a body part and restarting it in the other direction. I found it when trying fishtail..."
Last Reply by
Views: 18,428    Replies: 80
"so ive been sifting through the msgs about contact staffing and watching the poi in the park videos over and over and over trying to pick up as many contact staffing moves as i can. aft..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,989    Replies: 11
"I just figured this out at the european no I'm not claiming the invention of the opossable thumb (cross thread refernce) If you're doing a roll over the back of your hand rather than..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,465    Replies: 5
"aight pplz im pissedwhat happened to the staffs that HOP used to sellnot the little dinky sh!ts they have now but like a nice 52 inch staff......... "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,824    Replies: 10
"I used to be big into staff...it was my first implement. I stopped thought because i ran out of moves and it was getting a bit old. I'm beginning to fiend for it some so do you guys ha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,631    Replies: 5
"Okay, I'm not really sure if anyone has posted this already, but I'm curious is it possible to do continuous passing between the legs with a staff &lbr;and make it look good&rbr;. If it..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,237    Replies: 6
"Ok, I need a bit of help. I'm just about to make myself a new staff, but I'm not too sure about how to go about one detail of the construction. My idea is to take the blades off a coupl..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,951    Replies: 20
"I can do some finger spinning but I still have trouble.Once I do a full 360 in one hand it stalls and I have to chuck it up then catch it and start again.It is really annoying I have be..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,530    Replies: 10
"Does anybody here ever do any fire fighting? What I've got in mind is staff against poi. Rope poi work better than chain poi because the chains scratch up the staff on contact. Basicall..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter