Forums > Beginner Staff Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 3,231    Replies: 12
"I'm a little lost in knowing what to do with double staffs ... I use long staffs and feel very restricted with 2 ... don't really know what to do with them ... any suggestions ?the firs..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,882    Replies: 23
"When i do the spin above your head with two hands (a rotor??? or helicopter???) Anyway summats like that, i feel like a prat with my hands in the air like that. Any reason for this? Als..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,965    Replies: 3
"hey everybody i need some help it may sound absurdly trivial but in the videos its a touch too fast and i cant tell, so when you are spinning in one hand, do you roll the staff over ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,685    Replies: 9
"ive been trying this for a while but i cant seem to get it to work.. say youre spinning with one staff in each hand, is it at all possible to swop hands haha, that didnt make any sense..."
Last Reply by
Views: 24,469    Replies: 74
"Hello. I am setting up this thread for those who independently seek assistance with anything that has to do with baton. I will be on tour across Western Canada with my staff until mid..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,187    Replies: 10
"Keith (a Slice of Toast ) came up with this last night.... I couldn't do it, I just smacked my self in the face lotsWhat funRound-the-waist roll in horizontal plane --> Lift knee (o..."
Views: 2,474    Replies: 0
"I've been trying to figure out how to do something where you would kinda weave the staff between and around both legs, like, standing with your feet about shoulder length (or more) apar..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,017    Replies: 36
"I have been playing around with the idea of multiple stick twirling, and last night for the first time, lit up 4 sticks at once : ) I have been doing this by taking two staffs in each h..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,824    Replies: 38
"Allright, I've been staffing for about five monthes now and have this question. What are your styles? Do you stay in one place or move around. Do you like to stick to simple moves wi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,391    Replies: 11
" now, ive basically gotten most things down with the single and i can do double, but double in one hand is just impossible anyone got any tips on how to begin/hold them/spin?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,907    Replies: 10
"hey i mainly do devil stick but wanted 2 try out staff, i can do the basics like behind back and palms spins and im at a mind block,anyone got any ideas how i can expand on moves?"
Last Reply by
Views: 8,879    Replies: 22
"Hey, does anyone know if this book is worth getting? I've been mostly teaching myself how to twirl a single staff for the last month of so now, and I'm getting a whole lot better, but I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,946    Replies: 47
"Alright, this is something which may be a little bit anal for most people, but it's definitely helped me, especially with doubles, so here goes.Something I've been trying to do is be ab..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,117    Replies: 7
"Ok, I know in several places there's been suggestions for building staves and the like.However I'm specifically interested in suggestions on how to re-enforce or build an exceptional st..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,233    Replies: 1
"anyone know of any good contact books or videos for sale?"
Views: 2,703    Replies: 7
"Anyone have any cool retrieval moves?Maybe its because of the shoes I wear, I find it difficult to kick the staff up from the ground because I can't get my shoe underneath it. Instead o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,124    Replies: 7
"I was wondering what devil stick moves people have tried with their sticks.Obvious and easy is tick-tocking off arms, feet and legs etc, I have had some success going into horizonal sti..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,457    Replies: 2
"Was just replying on the devil stick with staffs thread with a compleatly insanely diffcult move which i'll probably never get and it got me thinking it's far easier to come up with cre..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,536    Replies: 25
"i made my own staff , i wittled it out of some wood , its about 5 foot long . anyways ... so one day im spinning it and practicing some throws ... one of my throws went a bit wayward , ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,686    Replies: 7
"Post deleted by loki.c1687"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,300    Replies: 17
"Ok, one of my mates just made himself some new toys, including a few new monster staves. We timed one of the smaller ones last night and it burns for approx 5 minutes. So what we were w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,684    Replies: 71
"Alright guys, I have a dilemma and would like advice .I have currently been training up my doubles skills with a pair of well weighted (heavy as possible) 90cm long practise staffs, wit..."
Last Reply by
Views: 14,532    Replies: 62
"Erm I'm sure it's on the board somewhere but I can't find it. Do you have to use finger spinning to do a 3 beat weave? If so, do you just hold the staffs normally when entering it cause..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,603    Replies: 11
"Shoulder-Neck-Shoulder variants. (Abreviated to SNS from now on. (Thou I might call it SNES by accident)) Also, all this is my own opinions etc, so if anybody has stuff to contribute, f..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,276    Replies: 20
"I have been spinning poi for about a year now. I need a new challenge and figured why not staff. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what staff to buy, what type to make, and a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,098    Replies: 2
"Can you guys help me find some stuff?i need a place to buy firestaff stuff IN CANADA IN CANADIAN PRICES!I'd buy from here but ordering internationally is too much of a trouble for me.th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,918    Replies: 27
"Has anyone out there got any hints, tips or tricks for catching a thrown fire staff?When practising during the day I can catch everything (well, almost everything) including a tricky do..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,194    Replies: 14
"not sure if there has been a thread on this before - but if there is let me know and ill post this there. when performing with doubles its always nice to start off by holding both staff..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,224    Replies: 18
"Quick one... I'm using a six-foot single staff at present (double six-footers would just be silly...) - it's made of plain dowel, and needless to say at present it's not exactly heavy.I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,357    Replies: 14
"Do somebody know something about indian martial art, which is called Banethi?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,730    Replies: 12
"Hi all after getting good at contact {cheers durbs for getting me hooked on that } ive decided to take up short staff can any one give me some pointers??? "
Last Reply by
Views: 3,336    Replies: 12
"This has been done before, and to me it evolved as an old school trick, but as far as i know its not being talked about much...either that or im a bit slow Something to open afew mind..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,860    Replies: 1
"Hi FolksWhat I'm trying to do is a fairly standard flick up (I dont know the correct name for this move as its not included in my own style of martial art). Body lying down, flick up in..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,339    Replies: 11
"Is there are any way that you could combine a fire staff trick, with... oh... say, fire breathing? I just wanted to make sure this was a safe and theaseable idea b4 trying it. Any1..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,745    Replies: 11
"Hey. Get what I mean? Basically I'm trying to find good ways to go from 1fwd 1rvs to both spinning fwd (or reverse), be it in phase or out of phase by 180, and also from perpendicular b..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,421    Replies: 53
"Hi all!I've been doing both single staff and poi for a few months now, and would like to learn double staff.Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who actually does double staff Does anyon..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,829    Replies: 7
"hey, ive been struggling to find what "snake" and "thread the needle" mean in terms of double staff. I've been searching abit but there are just so many threads which contain the words ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,866    Replies: 2
"where can I find any good ones (with both advanced and begginer moves).Bender's site has moves which are too advanced for me...."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,485    Replies: 1
"New to the board... and new to staff.Made myself a basic practise staff earlier today and I've been playing about with it following a brief chat with a couple of people I met in the cen..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,506    Replies: 2
"Hello once again.Im just starting out with a staff, and Im having troubles with Bec's starting moves.First off the first move is 360 degree rotation, ok i do this alright but if I turn ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,045    Replies: 2
"Hello all! im new here, just dicovered this site.Im very new to staff twirling, and yesterday i saw woody's lessos, but today I cant find them... Has it been taken down? or can someone ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,200    Replies: 11
"Another idea i've been playing with; its a fairly simple idea, with lots of extensions...If you stand with your legs apart and your arms horizontal, you look a little bit like a blob wi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,516    Replies: 6
"Hi everyone,Ive been having trouble getting this to look smooth - I can get the staves to do it but my arms feel very awequard(sp?) ... has anyone got any ideas on this?Josh "
Last Reply by
Views: 3,779    Replies: 11
"Just a quicky, I learned myself how to do a halo last night (and a few elbow/shoulder wraps type things), it rocks to learn a new trick, after a couple of months spinning im now hooked,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,190    Replies: 30
"the other day i mentioned to my dad about how rad it would be to light the ends of my staff or nunchucks on fire and he freaked out and banned me from this website for getting crazy ide..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,381    Replies: 41
"young molly mole (my alter ego) is eager to expand her repertoire of staff moves but being only little and having but three claws on each hand she is somewhat limited.so, what moves do ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,547    Replies: 3
"ok, I'm new to the terms of staff spinning.......I hve been spinning rifles for about two years..........but anyway, what is a contact spinning, i know that it is a stupid question, but..."
Views: 2,758    Replies: 7
"Hello I have been tryin' this for a while lying on my back but cant get the movement to look fluid with a rythem.Can anyone else do this ??? If so is there a usefull tecneque that i can..."
Views: 2,323    Replies: 0
"Hey there everyone I am curious is there anyone here from Victoria BCthat practices with a 6ft staff I would like to find ppl who are interested in training together and learning from e..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,361    Replies: 4
"I am looking to find some good diagrams of staff moves and movements anyone know where i can find these i would like to be able to print them off i find it easier to practice that way "
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter