Forums > Beginner Staff Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 3,061    Replies: 13
"gday allfirst up just wondering what staff lengths and types everyone works with here?I'm using a 54cm (i know that is rather short), carbon fibre staff, with weighted ends.I'm starting..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,521    Replies: 20
"Hey I'm new to this whole site. I am a great staff enthusiast (I use a heavy wooden bo staff 6') and currently go to a taekwondo school that allows its members to specialize in weapons..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,078    Replies: 47
"hi,is there a name for this move?&lbr;edit&rbr;according to the answers I named it shoulder rollwww.feuershow.de >>> online-workshops >>> stock >>> 1 stock ei..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,348    Replies: 14
"Quick question for you guys. And yes, I did a few searches before posting, in case the post police come after me. I am reliably informed that Royal Mail won't carry packages over 5ft in..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,384    Replies: 43
"hey all...i spin poi and am a big believer in shake off cans...occasionally we spin with some staffers as well...i've never seen a staffer use a shake off can and it seems there is a lo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,580    Replies: 7
"I really do like the lessons for staff spinning on this site, but I'm not able to perform. My problem is that even if I'm trying the basic move, I have to press the staff to my breast, ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,837    Replies: 3
"Hi all, This is mainly a question for anyone here from the UK. I'm new to fire staffs and have just last week bought one of my own. I was wondering if you needed special permission to s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,643    Replies: 2
"Hi everyone,Fairly new here and to the whole fire staff thing really, but thought that it'd be a fairly cool thing to do a performance with Fire staff interspersed with Fire breathing.J..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,250    Replies: 14
"Hey guys, sorry to post yet another which staff thread!Ok, I'm a complete beginner to staff, I do poi and other things but I'd like to have a go. (This is spurred on by watching crouchi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,399    Replies: 44
"http://www.gooblewarming.com.au/site/products_sub.php?mainCatID=25&subCatID=26&prodType=7"
Last Reply by
Views: 5,685    Replies: 23
"whaich do you prefer and for what reasons? i use both and i just wanted your oppinionsthanx,raveman"
Last Reply by
Views: 8,861    Replies: 39
"Hello, I am Linda in Connecticut, US. I've quietly settled myself in here, but not yet posted because of my fondness for baton, which I understand has a sketchy reputation, and because ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 10,260    Replies: 47
"Hey,I've had a friends aluminum 5' staff for a few years and done ok with it, but the center joint is not good, requires duct tape to attach, and is a little light for my tastes. Would ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,188    Replies: 4
"is anyone any good i,m in melbourne aus near franstone if your near me pm me"
Last Reply by
Views: 7,215    Replies: 36
"Some of you said that they are playing with Butterflyweaving. So this one could be easier:If you bend one plane of a butterfly weave by 90degree you end up in an Atomic Weave. (Bend ano..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,008    Replies: 12
"Okay I have returned to the net and as a result to HOP, for those of you who don't know me I used to be a ninja but I have evolved into a purely hip based lifeform I thought I would fi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,268    Replies: 13
"Hey I'm going to be living in melbourne in a few weeks and was wondering where the best places to find some new fire gear would be."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,834    Replies: 6
"Sorry if this is a newbish question, and i know length depends on preference but I'd like a more experienced opinion.Im a guy, 5 feet 7 ish, 130 lbs. I don't want a baton but I don't wa..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,461    Replies: 34
"Hi everyone, my name is Poppie, I'm 17 and a unicyclist (: I was a majorette when I was younger and have recently picked up a (way too small) baton, which I love spinning. I have tried ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,589    Replies: 34
"Post deleted by PhreakArmada"
Views: 2,039    Replies: 0
"MOVED"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,522    Replies: 22
"nuff said "
Last Reply by
Views: 4,162    Replies: 24
" My 'partner in crime' is obsessed with contact staff, and seems to go through them at extreme speeds (they're either bent or broken in less than a month), which starts to get pretty da..."
Last Reply by
Views: 15,542    Replies: 46
"My goodness. I just had a spin with a staffer I met (good one at that) and holy crap!!! He had the heaviest staff I have ever played with. I could hardly spin it. He had a 6' and my..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,607    Replies: 77
"ok is this actually possible to do a matrix with two staffs, i'm sure i heard someone talking about it somewhereif it is actually real, i need to learn it...a video or very detailed ins..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,008    Replies: 16
"So flowers and sticks.SpinAntispinHow many types are they?Can you do them with crosses (mcp, any luck?)dafodils or tulips?"
Last Reply by
Views: 7,714    Replies: 57
"hi allive been hearing alot about aerotech staffs, but they dont make fire staffs.i was wondering - is there an equivelant company to aerotech, except for fire?cost is not an issue, im ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,299    Replies: 57
"There've been several threads on grips and handles for staffs, with some of the work involved seeming as much as it takes to make the staff in the first place.Myself, I prefer not to ha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,548    Replies: 20
"Did you know you can do a "thread the needle" with double staff?"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,293    Replies: 6
"as i said in subject is any1 willing to sell their"The Fire Twirling Book" by Bec & Elke McConnell to me as i am a new starter and thought the book may help a newbie like me "
Last Reply by
Views: 6,761    Replies: 46
"Hy .... don't want to doublecross the mother of all spinning sites, but I'd like to know and see other homepages featuring staff move visuals...?Can anybody out there help me....?"
Last Reply by
Views: 6,898    Replies: 42
"did a search and couldnt find anything, searching never seems to work for me but anywayi've been having a bit of trouble with these recently, trying to keep the plains vertical ish as i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,453    Replies: 35
" Yeah, I got a new staff, it's not fira though, It's a clear one that I can put Glowsticks or 'Street Lights' in, does the fact that I choose not to spoin fira make me a wimp? I mean I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,453    Replies: 18
"helloim thinking about getting 2 glow staffs of hop over the next two weeks.And was hopeing someone could tell me if there good.mike.c"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,523    Replies: 14
"go and have a look at the events forum ya lazy bunch.R "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,960    Replies: 19
"Hi all! I don't post here much anymore, and even less in the staff forum but I figured you guys are the ones to come to for your thoughts. Long story short, I'm in an upper division col..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,213    Replies: 5
"Hey chaps...I tried doing a Steve today but instead of going round the back of my neck I leant back and did a spin on my chest and then back into the steve....do i get a lollypop? dave"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,930    Replies: 22
"Hey folks... hoping you're all kinds of splendid.I've recently started contact staffing, and as is to be expected I have some bruising. My question is, for those of you who have experi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,217    Replies: 2
"Well this is probably more like my introductory thread than anything else.I'm Calis (and NO I didn't get it out of some random book, I only heard that it was from a book the other day a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,461    Replies: 18
"Hey all Was just curious to see how people were going with playing with and thinking about these kind of moves. I for one am still trying to come to grips with ways to think about them..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,562    Replies: 40
"sooooooo having had the chance to spin in front of a mirror last night for the first time in ages i realised that i dont find my staff to be particuallary pretty, stalls not horizontal ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,513    Replies: 16
"Has anyone here tried a 3-sectional staff like they use in Kung Fu? These look great when they are spinning. I haven't ever seen anyone do one with fire though."
Last Reply by
Views: 34,376    Replies: 116
"Lets have some more discussions and suggestions moving along because I've been a bit slack getting online lately, mainly due to summer coming up and having lots more gigs (three seperat..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,339    Replies: 13
"So here we go for my first staff thread:This is something I found before christmas, and that I love. What's the idea: moving your staves in a translational movement vs oneanother. co..."
Views: 2,630    Replies: 13
"....cant spell the rest!!ANyway the questionI was playing last night and im just wondering about this whole domaniance thing. When you play with staff you tend to use one hand to more ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,308    Replies: 2
"http://www.thebodyarts.net/HTML/fire%20phoenix/Lessonspage.htm#BALANCESsomething different"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,077    Replies: 8
"First of all, as this is my first eva post (!) i wanna say hey to all u fellow fire lovers out there! also a big thanks to the girl on the fire staff tutorial vid (Xaeda is it???) ure..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,496    Replies: 28
"Theory: Playing slow, I mean very slow, like 20 Seconds for a rotation and slower.This is the way Thai Chi is mostly taught and it seems to workout. Always concentrate on the "paralleli..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,814    Replies: 27
"before anyone starts moaning and groaning about the fact that this thread exists, let me explain..i know there is a thread about the weight of staffs, and that ben (i think) mentions so..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,205    Replies: 22
"As a resident of Sweden I'm not unacustomed to cold weather but since I'm fairly new to fire staff I've never tried spinning it in the kind of cold weather we get here. In late december..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter