Forums > Beginner Staff Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 7,316    Replies: 45
"Was bored enough last night to try and make a systematic model of contact staff. i.e. A way of writting down moves in a notation like siteswap for juggling. Though my notation is not ve..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,710    Replies: 15
"hello my flaming friends lolrecently i started spinning poi, not staves...but wait!! don't move this to the poi moves thread!!i have been practicing wushu for a long time now and spend..."
Views: 3,755    Replies: 0
"MOVED"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,977    Replies: 21
"I've done the search, and unless I've missed it, I don't think this has been covered. What I'm basically after is advice for when you're first starting out doing contact staff. I've loo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 21,191    Replies: 75
"This list represents what I consider 'base' contact movements. Most other moves are combinations of these moves, variations, or these movements transfered to a different plane. &lbr;ind..."
Last Reply by
Views: 136,901    Replies: 680
"*edit* so i reckon this thread will hold a record of the new things and stuff im learning along the way, all input of any kind is welcome...*edit**where was I? oh yeah here, The elbow, ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,234    Replies: 27
"I was wondering who else has been exploring this doubles contact idea. I first found Kyle brushing the edges of it a couple of months ago, but just spent an excellent 2 hours at Rainbow..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,427    Replies: 12
"Hi all,Im new to both the sport and the boards, so sorry if this is a bit simplistic, but I cant seem to find what I need elsewhere on the forum. I'm after some basic instructions on th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 15,609    Replies: 39
"I've been learning loads of throws this year. I took a lot from home of poi. This is all the info I could found on throws in the staff forum over a number of threads. A search didn't re..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,576    Replies: 51
"Calling all contact staffers, i need some help, and this is not actually about contact staffing but probably the best place I could post this.As some of you know I do Bar flairing (for ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,397    Replies: 3
"Hi all,Just looking at buying first staff and wondering what wick size to get - 50mm or 100mm. Is the larger wick more dangerous? Is there any reason not to get the bigger size?ThanksJD"
Last Reply by
Views: 7,812    Replies: 34
"When I first became a member of this site, i was into juggling (not very well i might add). but not my tastes have gone onto Fire staffs. which i must admit.... I FRIGGING LOVE IT!!!! I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,894    Replies: 39
"Here we go again in an exhaustive attempt to get some more common terms for staff moves to enable webbased sharinf of tricks.There are three section, Staff Movements (what the staff doe..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,719    Replies: 31
" We all know its nice to put in a flash start...I've got 'em down with ma juggling and devilsticks but haven't worked out any with a staff yet. Any suggestions? "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,609    Replies: 2
"Hey HOPers,I was sitting at work today quite bored, so I started to count all the little injuries I have been blessed with from firespinning. Noticed I had quite a few, mainly not much..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,843    Replies: 3
"ok question for all you hop staffers out there. for someone who has been mainly self-taught with a staff and therefore has only ever come across the names of some of the more advanced c..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,605    Replies: 8
"ok, so ive been told that using different flammable liquids (instead of kero) will give you different coloured flames. if so, what are htey and where can i get them? are they hard to ge..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,742    Replies: 4
"Hey,I was just wondering if anyone knew any moves that could be done with the surroundings. Bit vague i know, but i've been trying to think of some, hoping someone could help me out? gi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,134    Replies: 22
"hey everyone does any body know some decent websites for staff twirling demonstrations, i need the ones with the flash animations like the home of poi lessons (which are faboulous btw i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,078    Replies: 5
"Well you guess it this threads all about doing flowers with your contact moves, a nice little avenue which has been explored much. easiest example I can think of is: get the staff walki..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,259    Replies: 2
"hmm... i'm getting a real feel for alot of these moves. but i feel clunky when trying to change from wall plane to say.. a helicopter.any thoughts ?? "
Last Reply by
Views: 3,435    Replies: 21
"i'm curious to know, if anyone else's staves have become a bit bent here and there after practice. i just made my first one tonight and i quite like it. it's definitely heavier... b..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,101    Replies: 12
"HeyIve been making staffs for a while now and each time when i get to the screwing the wicks into the holes of the pole into the wood part...i always seem to get into a mess with the wi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,140    Replies: 18
"exactly what it says on the tin.most fun."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,238    Replies: 3
"Don't you agree that describing a move is extremely difficult? And that understanding a despription even much more)Should it be mandatory to include (understandable) graphics, or videos..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,106    Replies: 19
" hey everyone!!! Im just needing a bit of help, i got into poi about a year ago, Im now wanting to expand into staff. Im really keen to get into it, but i don..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,158    Replies: 25
"I've read alot about planes...and dont worrd Durbs i HAVE searched :Panyways my question is this...I know about horizontal and vertical planes etc...but how do they apply if I am spinni..."
Last Reply by
Views: 14,963    Replies: 67
"seeing as there are lots of people in the new moves thread and others talking bout fishtailing things (me being one of them) i thought i'd make a thread for it.so waht can u fishtail? e..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,952    Replies: 13
"think this is going to be a half rant half disscusion type of postrant part:many staffer today only seem interested in learning contact and not how to spin. This might sound stange comi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 14,879    Replies: 43
"I found this tutorial site on the 'net this morning.it's a bit slow, but you can make out the animations if you squint.enjoy!geeze i hope the idiot that made this page gets broadband, c..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,253    Replies: 41
"I can't seem to find much on the double staff.The stuff i can find is either too hard or i already know it.Any tips for gettig outta this rut?"
Last Reply by
Views: 6,447    Replies: 32
"Hey What do you think are the most visually impressive staff moves? Ones that always get a good cheer from the audience. Such as:Continual body rotating neck wraps for one.....Leaving ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 70,701    Replies: 175
" Greetings kindred spirits. I am reaching out to the Home of Poi community for help. I am writting a book on "The History of the Fire Arts" which will be an all inclusive understandi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,512    Replies: 18
"i was wondering if i was the only one that spins different from the lessons on here or if some people just develop there own style?Talking about the spin style in free lessons, for staf..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,378    Replies: 2
"aahh. it's 1:30am and just finished an hour of practice. it's great fun in the mooonlight. i can see my shadow against the house. very helpful.anyone have trouble trouble doing rot..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,466    Replies: 7
"insane stuff, i went to a class a couple of weeks ago, its philipine stick fighting and damn is it crazy. the teacher works at yatla prison, he said he pitys anyone that comes at him wi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,984    Replies: 16
"Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knows any tricks to getting bicycle tubing onto wooden staffs? Do I need to use like vaseline to help? The piece I'm trying to put on is onto a 1" di..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,063    Replies: 9
"Was spinning at the Clapham common meet this weekend and was trying stuff with kicking the staff. Was just wondering if anyone else had tried this and had any thoughts on it.First thing..."
Last Reply by
Views: 13,715    Replies: 74
"ok going to post this in the right section nowthink this is going to be a half rant half disscusion type of postrant part:many staffer today only seem interested in learning contact and..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,525    Replies: 7
"robert heart has gone missing. as in, properly missing.if you have any info on his whereabouts, please followthis link and get in touch with the guy who posted asking for info. please f..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,286    Replies: 5
"hi i'm quite a beginner, and i would like to ask 3 questions:1_how to make two handed spin behind the back?(i can do it in front but cant understand how to put hands to do behind)2_how ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,548    Replies: 17
"Can you tell me if i'm doing it right, this is my method:Starting off with the staff in my left hand,the back of my hand facing upwards, I turn my hand clockwise, loosening my grip unti..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,124    Replies: 7
"u start with a horizontal neck roll from the left hand side. then lean to the left with your head as the staff continues to rotate, if ur head is down low enough the staff should slip o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,840    Replies: 24
"http://www.worldbaton2005.com/index_english.htmWell this championship is over. Id like to know if someone was there and can comment it. There is preview from Osaka too http://www.worldb..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,180    Replies: 2
"Does anyone know how to add colour in the flames?I know its possible but is there any easier way than to order some expencive fluids from the pharmacy? -thank you in advance-"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,566    Replies: 3
"Hello everyone, i´m a new member here.I was just wondering how big "staff flames" ( i dont know if that`s a common word here, but it is the act where you roll your staff between your h..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,863    Replies: 29
"Well i've been to B & Q, probably got all the wrong stuff but i can see the start of a beautiful relationship forming in front of me in the form of my first practise staff i'm makin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,596    Replies: 3
"i,m working on it it`s really hard i think i,m gonna have to save it for confest any other hard throws anyone know of "
Last Reply by
Views: 8,172    Replies: 30
"Unemployed too much time... backward spin right hand go to quadruple spin position just before where you bring your elbow to the front and unwind. At this point you should be holding th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,873    Replies: 11
"I'm new to poi and even newer to staff twirling, so I'll throw this out there: I'd like to pick up staff as well as the poi that I'm already doing, so whats the fastest, easiest, cheape..."
Page: ...

HOP Newsletter