Forums > Beginner Staff Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,225    Replies: 7
"uh, sorry i couldn't be more descriptive. Basically, i was warming up and i did this thing which i guess is a neck wrap only i got the staff to do a 360 spin on my neck before falling o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,946    Replies: 9
"Hi fellow staffers,today I was just playing around for a bit with my short (1 meter)doubles when I suddenly remembered something I have been wanting to try for some time now - the btb s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,558    Replies: 2
"hey all... vertigo, angel and I were playing around last night and were working on various tricks for lighting staff.... we got it to trickle the flame through the core a few times and..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,785    Replies: 8
"soooo we have been working on craziness like...well, crazy here in edinburgh preparing for beltane festival in a few weeks.... and some tasty new moves to add to the multitude already o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,667    Replies: 10
"im look for more ides to preform without my feet on the ground...i got xaeda's down (finally) , and this weird move that resembles rolling dow a hill like we did as little kids (passin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,630    Replies: 40
"My birthday is in a couple of weeks and I'm gonna get myself a pressie and buy an ElectroGlo staff. But I was wondering just so I can be extra excided when I buy it, does anyone have an..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,286    Replies: 4
"Hey,I've worked out a bit of a nice move for all you double staff twirlers.Basically you have the two staffs (short staffs) spinning like an egg beater (left hand going anti-clockwise, ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,898    Replies: 9
"It is quicker to do it this way than to trawl through the whole lot looking for the right posting.Grips for staff was the disscusion and I remembered that the guy who taught me poi had ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,254    Replies: 48
"I'm still trying to understand the beat system, but if I do an extra half-turn on each side,,,, I get a 5 beat weave.. yes??well no, sorry about editing this, but now, when I read what ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,728    Replies: 20
"Anybody got any similar thing going on?I had a sh**ty day today so I figured i'd have a couple of burns to chill a little. First I started with some slow heavy poi and worked mainly aro..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,148    Replies: 4
"yo,chalie boy, you talked in the naming staff moves about a 3/4 wrap up the front of your body to the opposite shoulder. Ive been having a go at this but am a little perplexed.Ive been ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,161    Replies: 7
"yohavent seen any of thease up here so here's a simple one for you all...firstly you gotta be able to do alternate backwards spinning throws either side of your body, catching on the ri..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,414    Replies: 4
"I've just purchased a blue electroglo staff and it's FANTASTIC. But I'm finding it incredibly light compared to my normal aluminium fire staff... has anyone got any good ideas on how to..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,934    Replies: 3
"Barcelona is beautiful and CHEAP. That is why my Girlfriend and I walkinto a Martial Arts shop and walked out with fantastic staffs. Mines a 6 footer and hers is 5. I was teaching her i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,094    Replies: 20
"i want to get some ideas of some things that me and my buddy can do together. we have been working on passes and synchronicity and stuff. any suggestions would be cool. i guess i sho..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,090    Replies: 30
"I have never this done in real life, only in anime. It's where someone/something starts out and spins a staff or staff-like object around one hand repeatedly on one side.I am trying to..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,229    Replies: 4
"I picked up the staff a while back, practiced, and quit after a couple weeks. I decided I really wanted to learn it, so I've been practicing more intently lately and really enjoying it...."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,123    Replies: 22
"After reading these technical threads, I've noticed that I need a wash. I Also noticed that there surely must be a bundle of recovey moves out there other than the apologise-and-pick-st..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,353    Replies: 2
"yo,just thinking that peeps might try waist wrap and then btb waist wrap (with the staff rolling across the back of the waist, above the buttocks). just a little underarm between them.s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,833    Replies: 4
"alright - i wasn't able to find this at all so someone help me here if i'm missing the "deemed correct terminology" for this move...i start by holding one end of the staff, and flicking..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,689    Replies: 8
"does anyone have some things that can be done without hands? i use a longer heavier staff so that it keeps the rotation and can pull off some pretty cool no handed stuff.one that i lik..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,870    Replies: 18
"i have been working on two staff designs i would like to share with you. they both break apart during a show.the first breaks in two at the ballance point or center and re conects usin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,845    Replies: 5
"I was recently wacthing a Cirqe-du-solie video. "Alegria" And they had a firedancer who did a short staff set, and then a double staff set. Very impressive. The thing I noticed was th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,508    Replies: 17
""sometimes it's the easiest things that elude us." or me at least. *raises hand* i have a silly question.i'm developing a decent (at least i think so :P ) amount of moves i can go th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,149    Replies: 15
"i finally sent a vid to malcom of this, but seeing i suck, it probably won't be put on the site ;-) but one of the tricks i like is a one handed horizontal throw, catching the staff on ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,227    Replies: 12
"Heyja all!I desperately need some inspiration! Have been told many times that martial arts movies are great for creating new staff moves but I have no idea where to start!(aside from cr..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,912    Replies: 29
"But my mom won't let me buy one, so I searched around for how to make one. I got a page, asked if I could go out and buy the materials, I listed everything down till the Kevlar Wick and..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,768    Replies: 5
""Crash, bang, thud, ow! Crash, bang, thud, ow!"What's that noise?Someone's been reading the staff moves section again.Okay. I just broke my favorite coffe cup (a Walt Disney evil queen ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,991    Replies: 7
"yah i know the names really queer and it's probably been done a thousand times, but i needed something easy to explain and easy to do1. start off with the staff in your right hand palm ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,894    Replies: 29
"I just started getting a shoulder wrap with my long staff (5'8 long) Im not that good at it yet cause I get very little practice. Anyways, I was wondering if there is any way of doing i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,694    Replies: 6
"I've stop spinning for quite a time and started with staff and just learned the windmill & one haded weave(figure 8), while i was practicing i tried to do a turn using the figure 8 and..."
Last Reply by
Views: 16,964    Replies: 74
"I got some basic questions which might sound kinda dumb, but whatever.. You dont have to answer them anyways if you dont want to When I do the 360 spin, my hand that grabs it feels lik..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,806    Replies: 36
"hey all :)Just thought since I'm bored and it's raining, I'd post some moves I've been working on lately. When Malcom finishes the vids he filmed, there'll be some more general staff m..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,254    Replies: 2
"Would wearing wrist straps help prevent tendonitis or pains in the writst joint? Or would it just inhibit movement and flexibility?------------------Long Live Rebel Music!"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,908    Replies: 4
"i made a cross staff today with multiple wicks. i placed the wicks strategicly so that when spun, the fire apears to spiral inwards/outwards depending on which way you spin it. just w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,735    Replies: 1
"i did this with poi, and then i tried it the othere day with my staff and it works just as well.handcuffs and staff, yeah i know its limiting and only a crowd pleaser, but it adds a bit..."
Views: 3,255    Replies: 0
"im staying in singapore i would like 2 meet ppl from here that can do the staff 2 practisw with.anyone up 4 it?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,692    Replies: 2
"Been messing around with double staves having only one wick on each stave lit. While it doesn't look as fast, it gives a kinda syncopated poi-ish look which is good for a bit of change..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,338    Replies: 5
"Anyone know what happened to this post?"Double staff starter, full trick list ect..."I found it when doing a search but the link isnt working."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,607    Replies: 15
"*Kate walks in, looks around*Hey this is new....Well as a matter of fact, I am just starting to learn staff, doubles too.*sits back*This could be a whole new board for me -------------..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,022    Replies: 4
"K, this is a really new trick- still practising with no flames but i'd love any ideas on more balances to add it or staff moves to compliment.. BUT I AM SOO HAPPY WITH IT!!! whoohoo N..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,258    Replies: 4
"Hey guys...I came up with this all on my own a little while ago, I just needed to consolidate it a bit more in my mind before I typed it....so far I havent seen anyone pulling this part..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,267    Replies: 1
"http://www.cubefx.com/video/firepractice.movThis is the video of me practicing with fire staff. Check out some cool moves. ;-)Aydarwww.cubefx.com"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,470    Replies: 4
"Hey all, I hope you understand my question...I've found one Transition that is basically from doing same direction figure eights in front of your body (alternating between inside and ou..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,999    Replies: 24
"ok i dont want to hear any 'but this around the shoulder under the elbow through the nose move is so basic I thought you would know it'out of you punks forward shoulder roll, or, 360+1..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,744    Replies: 11
"wooh, it's all new and sparkly and just waiting for all us lovely staff kids to make it our own! *bounce* hehehe. I think somebody should donate a bottle of champagne for us to spr..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,190    Replies: 15
"Yep - Elbow movesok - I go into them by doing a figure eight in my left hand, and as it comes across my body to the right side, I loop it down and then WRAP around the right elbow..at w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,666    Replies: 24
"Wondering if anyone has a double staff throw move or 2 they'd like to share. I've got the "hold together as one staff then throw and majikally two staff appear" down pat and am working..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,775    Replies: 21
"I met a guy at Monday juggling last week who has inspired me to get more into long double-staffs. He had like 2 dozen visually different tricks (stuff the audience will notice), includ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,895    Replies: 20
"Below is some replies to a thread which I thought could use their own topic:"
Page: ...

HOP Newsletter