Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,411    Replies: 2
"I just had an idea, it'd be really cool if someone built a square room made entirely of mirrors. On one wall there would be a one way mirror to allow photographing and making movies, bu..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,501    Replies: 7
"Im i the only goth about that does poi?If there is any one like me in the London area then please email me (shadowblade69@hotmail.com)"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,819    Replies: 9
"just wondering exactly how much technical know-how is required to assemble the DIY LED set for sale here? What tools are necessary? And where can you find LEDs? Thanks!skechada"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,948    Replies: 7
"I know Adam has one, and others who actually make toys to sell, but how many of you firey peeps have a design book?I can imagine pj's and adam's have exact measurements right down to sc..."
Views: 2,013    Replies: 0
"Forgive me if this is a common thing or somewhere else on here..I have used long and short and skinny and fat and have not come across the poi I found under the house of my friends anyw..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,151    Replies: 1
"I was at a party Saturday night, and this guy was spinning strings sort of 'chuck style. There was a stick on each end and he held his strings by the stick on the other end... they st..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,527    Replies: 1
"Has anyone experimented with using two beaming poi of different colors? can they even be bought that way? Would anyone suggest it?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,386    Replies: 5
"I've just started spinning poi about a month ago, and have recently begun lighting them on fire. However, it seems like they only stay lit for about five minutes before I have to re-so..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,233    Replies: 7
"I have a couple of questions concerning non-fire light options.1) How pleased are people with their beaming poi? Ever had the LEDs burn out or fade? Are they easy to replace? Anyone out..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,009    Replies: 6
"Banish the dangers of slippery stages forever with Coke!Just smear some of the sickly drink onto the soles of your shoes.Schticky I got this tip from a dancer, thats why dancers trainer..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,459    Replies: 8
"I have seen several photos of people doing fire poi w/ crazy sparks shooting out of them. did they construct these? can you buy them somewhere? "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,171    Replies: 8
"Hi guys, after reading that Diana can do flame transfer, I WANNA DO IT TOO! I've seen Samoans do it reguarly but have never been able to do it successfully. I tend to use kero or (mor..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,986    Replies: 6
"Hey all,there have been several threads in which some Stateside ppl have suggested the use of glue to stop fraying on the bottom of poi and staff wicks. I'm from Australia, and I've nev..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,397    Replies: 1
"Hello all! I am new to this site and am glad to have found it. I came across it whilst searching the web for any clues on how to change the colour of a flame. I would love to have green..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,920    Replies: 6
"http://www.indianclubs.com/cstkdtarticle.htmlJosh"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,111    Replies: 5
"Hi all!After wasting too much time on fire, I too became addicted How do I breathe fire?Any tips (Pele maybe)?What fuels do you guys use?Is Rum strong enough?Thanks a bunch...---------..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,567    Replies: 1
"I've read a few comments scattered here & there about music choice for routines, or even just background for freestyling... What kind of music do you prefer twirling to, and why?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,894    Replies: 4
"I am in the process of making streamers (of ripstop nylon) for my poi. How long should they be before they get in the way of my swinging?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,926    Replies: 9
"Hi,Two days ago I lit my poi for the second time, it was on a beach so I choose to spin near the sea where the sand is covered with a tiny film of water...It was great I could see the..."
Views: 1,890    Replies: 0
"I've found two places by me that I can get karo from and thier both gas stations, However one of them serves like a white almost clear karo and the other one is dark red anyone know whi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,168    Replies: 8
"what is the best way to put out your wicks when done spinning so you can easily relight them later?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,942    Replies: 12
"hey, i was thinking it would be cool if people could post images of their costumes on the picture board (subcatagory?) so that we can begin to exchange more ideas about the performance/..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,834    Replies: 7
"Wow.... Every morning I have rainbows splashes across my bedroom! I dont know where they come from, but they brighten my day. Just thought Id share .I noticed that our video supply has..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,289    Replies: 17
"Hey,I was planning on buying a couple green or blue-green photon microlight II to use because glowsticks are kinda hard to get for me. Ive heard that although they are supposed to be ve..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,392    Replies: 7
"I've been getting quite a few fire-gigs recently, and have found I'm only getting better at the technical, non-crowd pleasing tricks now. I've found any move not using the hands, like ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,232    Replies: 6
"I got into the whole twirling thing because of glowsticking but I picked up a set of poi along the way to practice with in the day time and now I have a serious problem. I am literally..."
Views: 2,438    Replies: 0
"I remember there was a post on here to the astroballs site (www.astroballs.com) and I was going to buy some of the poi type astroballs, but the site mysteriously just sort of went down ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,317    Replies: 3
"Well How is every one? I haven't been on the board in a long time! I have a few things to talk about:1) How do you use your fuel? I pour my wicks with lamp oil into a paint can. I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,203    Replies: 1
"hey all... havent seen ya for a while but this is what is on for me recently i got a video artist to come to a poi/ fire meet and he got into it and we got chattin about a idea... setin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,975    Replies: 6
"I'm so happy! I'm still working on making it a bit smoother, though..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,724    Replies: 10
"I'm not sure if anyone remembers (it dates back to the old HOP board) but about 3 years ago, Elke and I wrote a book on Single Staff Twirling Technique... well it has finally made it's ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,808    Replies: 1
"Can they be soaked with water(if never used before), to add weight? (Of course, it would have to be fully dried before soaking in kero for lighting up..)plur,CRD"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,487    Replies: 10
"bad stuff happened this weekend and i think the culprit was kerosene fumes.we had a big poi-making fest on saturday. we usually keep the towel wicks in a metal bucket in the garage. I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,010    Replies: 3
"how are the colors for the ultimate point determiend when ordering? You are offered the preferred colors and then a 2nd choice...what is that referring to? I have emailed the shop, but ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,697    Replies: 13
"I discovered the whole 'poi' thing because of glowsticks and right now I spin poi during the day and sticks at night, but I really want to graduate up to fire at some point. What I'm m..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,406    Replies: 6
"found this website which has 'traditional poi' and a lot of other stuff including samoan knives (anyone do fire knife dancing?)...though i don't know about their quality...http://www.al..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,235    Replies: 3
"Hey, I was looking for glowsticks on the internet and I saw that glowstickfactory.com is selling 30 expired glowsticks for $10Has anyone tried this before? do they even work? (some of t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,538    Replies: 2
"OK ballchain users... I love mine, but my crew and I are having problems... my basic design has been to put a ball chain connecter on each end of the chain, thread a quick link through ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,360    Replies: 13
"I have never made a certain routine to a piece of music or event and i can't seem to find a reason to. for some reason it seems to take a little bit of the fun and adventure out of the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,954    Replies: 3
"Hey,I just started twirling this weekend; my cousin introduced me to the concept while clubbing, and I think it's greatWhat I use though, is probably to short of a cord (about a foot); ..."
Views: 1,818    Replies: 0
"next time you have a bottle of the evil stuff... cokeput a hole in the lid then attach some string and wahey you have poi.. and you can add water to change the weights .. thought of tha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,558    Replies: 19
"Has anyone ever had any experiences with the Beaming Poi sold on this website? What do you think, what have you heard?~H~"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,890    Replies: 3
"So over in the move sections there has been confusion about combo's and moves being referred to as different things...so what are the different names you have heard given to different m..."
Views: 1,870    Replies: 0
"The Beaming Poi alone are great... this just popped when i got them though, and i dont see why i didnt think of it before, cause it could be used with anything. AAARRRGGGGHHH!!!I dont k..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,514    Replies: 6
"All,I recently started getting really into strings..etc..and i have learned a bunch of tricks, but i was wondering..***How the HELL do i go from one trick to another without getting the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,159    Replies: 5
"yo all just wanted to tell ya guys something so cool and new which has just came out. or at least i havent known about them until now but anyways i bought a pair of "electronic glow ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,412    Replies: 7
"I've been wondering for some time how well the synthetic kerosene (www.clear-lite.com) I use for my poi would work for fire breathing/fire blasts. The stuff is only slightly more volit..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,839    Replies: 6
"A local performer gave me the BEST idea sunday. Take your interleave cathedral wicks, unbolt them, and then wrap an extra two pieces of kevlar around the outside, kind of like gift wrap..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,907    Replies: 4
" Does anyone know how to use one or. play with one anyway?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,923    Replies: 4
"Hiya,I'm just wondering if anyone has seen these in action yet.If the strobe is fast enought to give the appearance of a solid chain of individual lights, that would be very cool.But if..."
Page: ...

HOP Newsletter