Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 14,623    Replies: 14
"I went camping last weekend and ran out of paraffin for my torches. Not wanting to drive 30 minutes on a bumpy dirt road to get to town to buy more, i used citronella oil (for putting ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,011    Replies: 3
"Hey guys, I just wanted to get peoples ideas on what the like to use more chains or the steel cord I never tried it and was thinking about buying some but thought that Id check w/ you p..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,488    Replies: 3
"how many spins does a gallon of fuel last you? Just out of curiosity..------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall The..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,553    Replies: 3
" I did a performance out in the country a few weeks ago and the whole crowd kept talking about smoke rings that came off my staff when i did the fireball thing. No-one has ever mentio..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,198    Replies: 8
"I am rather new to this....just got down the three and four beat weave and i am looking for another teaching tool to supplement this web site.... from yall's experience what ones are th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,171    Replies: 11
"well i've been fire twirling for about a month now, but i've been twirling for glowsticks for almost a year, so im pretty good, as far as tricks. but i was introduced to fire twirling u..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,062    Replies: 5
"I'm making my first set of fire wicks (I've got my Zuni's and I've been using my friend's fire-poi when I've had the chance). I'm going to do the interleave wick with an eye-bolt and w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,955    Replies: 7
"Hey folks...I'm going back to school in a few weeks, and I thought it would be a good idea to figure out how I'm going to store my stuff. I just started at the end of last year, and th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,973    Replies: 3
"Just thought I would mention this..I made a huge glowstaff once out of a 4 foot piece of PVC plastic pipe with 2 caps.the pipe and caps cost me about 3 dollars.then I filled it with glo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,519    Replies: 2
"Last night for the hell of it I added about a tea spoon of Eucalyptus oil in my MSR of white gas. The result is rather refreshing. It's not noticable while you spin but after I spun the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,153    Replies: 8
"While posting in a topic in social discusion i thought of a up a new way to light fire.Many people know if u spin unlit glowsticks then swing them into the ground they crack and light ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,084    Replies: 5
"I just moved into a dorm, and I have no idea where to keep my kero. I don't think they want me to keep it in the dorm room (and besides, it would moke it smell really bad) and I'm not s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,876    Replies: 7
"Guys, I queried clubbertoys.com about botachtactical.com prices on Photon II's and they said:In response to your query concerning the very cheap Photon IIs, I have contacted the manufac..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,232    Replies: 13
"Hey kids. I've seen one mention on the net about building fire crosses after I had a revelatory dream about them. Well, after some experimenting lashing bamboo together and many many tr..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,316    Replies: 12
"I know, I know. I don't want to hear it, okay? I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced any detrimental affects to their audience as a result of using sparkly poi? I'm referring ..."
Views: 1,975    Replies: 0
"Im going to camp tmw, and i thought i would share with you guys the really cool new toys i bought. these are my new turquose photon lights, and boy are they cool. although expensive (..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,602    Replies: 1
"Hi everyone, I'm a newbie and was hoping someone might help me out. I just purchased my first fuel to spin fire. It's dyed a blue color and labeled as smokeless and odorless candle an..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,583    Replies: 11
"What happens when you clip a set of double-wick poi to the end of 4-wick poi? Uberpoi++, of course! Yup, that's six wicks on chains over five feet long that hold nearly 1/4 gallon of ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,961    Replies: 9
"This is a responce to Shayla that was in another staff thread. As I feel it will be hard to find i thought I would answer it and start anothe rthread at the same time...Shayla, staff s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,078    Replies: 5
"Please Help. 1 Question: How? I've seen someone make a makeshift cage with wirewool inside, it sparkles, but you get no actual flame. Is it poss to use both wirewool and kero?Yours Chin..."
Views: 2,091    Replies: 0
"A few notes from my performance at a local goth/industrial/fetish night. 1) it might be a good idea to have a spotter trained on fueling up andspinning out2) need to make a container th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,869    Replies: 5
"I like having quicklinks on my fire poi so I can switch to glowsticks/take the wicks off and store them so they don't smell up my bags/etc... Often, when I take them out of my bag one o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,078    Replies: 7
"Reading about LED poi, using photon II's seem the best option for me given price range/battery life/durability considerations... rav'n lights sound cool, but v pricey + apparently easil..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,204    Replies: 10
"I was wondering if anyone knows if using red dyed kerosene is bad for wicks or if it has the same effect as clear kerosene on wicks. If anyone knows anything about using dyed kerosene a..."
Views: 2,273    Replies: 10
"Has anyone else noticed that the two main pages describing the 5 beat weave contradict each other?On http://www.homeofpoi.com/new14.htm it says:You'll notice that the pattern for your r..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,016    Replies: 2
"I have no clue what colour of Photon II's to get!!!I've never seen them in action, so how am I supposed to choose!?!Help me so I can order them and have them sooner! Ack!I even went out..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,892    Replies: 5
"As a total newcoming to the world of Poi, I already see the huge divide there is between the glowstickers and the firemongers. I know there's no real subsitute for the roar of fire, bu..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,757    Replies: 8
"Has anyone attached Sparklers to Poi before...I know it would be a short burn, but I think it would look pretty bloomin loveerley....If anyone has tried it can they let me know what hap..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,739    Replies: 5
"I was down at the beach two nights ago, and for the first time, saw a man doing Poi. Needless to say, I was simply blown away. I Needed to do this. So, I finally figured out what it ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,063    Replies: 4
"How thick are the chains you use? I made fire poi out of 18" 2mm dog choker chains.made cathedral heads out of towels. after soaked, they were so heavy... I could not do an alternate bu..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,076    Replies: 2
"greetings! i need to purchase a fire extinguisher for performing and i am wondering what type you peeps out there use and recommened. i have heard two different types are good (type ABC..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,287    Replies: 4
"I was wondering how many of you guys started out with juggling or some other object manipulation before you learned to spin. Or if you started with spinning and have since branched out...."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,459    Replies: 17
"is there any one out there that spins 3 or 4 poi? I would like to see footage of this...I cant imagine what it would look like.one handed corkscrews in each hand? butterflies? "
Last Reply by
Views: 7,261    Replies: 13
"HelloIm a beginner, trying to learn staff, but poi is looking tempting to learn aswell! So basically, Im wondering what most of you found easier to learn? and why? Poi.......or......sta..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,590    Replies: 6
"Hello all,I've started going to raves regularly this summer, and it's hard not to notice all the people swinging glowing things on strings...some long and some short. From what I've re..."
Last Reply by
Views: 13,154    Replies: 12
"What issues are there with being in the smoke from a smoke machine? I know that campfire smoke is very debilitating. You can't see nor breath. But I don't know what happens when you're ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,893    Replies: 31
"hey,I want to start doing staff, but fire isnt really an option for me, so I'll just stick to glowsticks for now. My question is how can I make a staff where I can easily attach and det..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,268    Replies: 4
"I bought a nice set of jam jars for my wicks, but they appear to leak. I tested them beforehand, and they were definitely water tight... but when i tip them on their side they get paraf..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,118    Replies: 1
"I waswondering if anybody could tell me the history or the orginiation of Poi. I've just started learning and am curious about where it came from.Pat, England"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,071    Replies: 4
"Before you guys rip on me for bringing up more sparkly poi stuff I did use the search :P Ok I tried sparklers..."LAME"... Diffacult to light only lasts a short time and damn it the spar..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,308    Replies: 3
"I had my firestaff made by a friend and i bought my firepoi from a shop. The former have unbelievably loose wicks, and the latter extremely tightly bound ones... the loose ones are much..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,496    Replies: 3
"Surely for a coloured or special flame you could simply dip your just-soaked wicks into some of the various effect-producing powders? They would stick on because the heads are wet, and ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,065    Replies: 4
"Does anyone know of a website with lessons for torches (the ones with the balls at the end that you put in your palm- i don't know the "official" name for them). Thanks!"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,044    Replies: 1
"Anyone ever tried combining a yoyo show with a poi show?Obviously yoyo's would work as poi when extended... possibly some new tricks here???BB"
Last Reply by
Views: 5,248    Replies: 7
"oo look! another staff topic...this is getting exciting! so, we've all seen how easy it is for poiers to refuel and maintain their wicks, both during practise/performance and when in ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,213    Replies: 7
"hey chotys, a photon is a small and powerful LED light that is usually used at raves to liquid dance with. To add a little flare to the show i connect photons to the strings or chains t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,152    Replies: 11
"I was playing with a cat toy today (I think I was having more fun than the cat) that consists of a long-ish wand, a string at the end of that, and some feathers at the end of the string..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,830    Replies: 1
"There i was four nights ago, done a check on my Fire tools every thing fine been doing it for about 20 mins then started throwing them in the air getting in some really good high throws..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,311    Replies: 1
"I've just bought my first fire poi and had one spin with them. Most of my questions have been answered on this apart from storing fire poi. Until now I have just kept them wrapped in ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,408    Replies: 7
"I know Im probably going to kick myself in the rear for asking this one, but what is the best way to get digital pictures developed?Im definitely looking for quality, but dont want to g..."
Page: ...

HOP Newsletter