Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 1,574    Replies: 1
"What can I say. Wirewool really rocks!Made some burners out of chicken wire and they worked amazingly :-)A few pics of Woody and Ithaca with wirewool can be found:https://milton-clevedo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,551    Replies: 8
"A few of us have been experimenting with boric (KCl and LiCl) over the past few weeks and have managed to get some good effects.I decided to post a listing of chemical substances that g..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,312    Replies: 8
"OK, my good friend Hitokage and I were planning on staging a flaming sword fight at some upcoming event, and we were wondering how exactly it would be best to make the fire swords, any ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,634    Replies: 1
"Hey..I finally got my kevlar today AND 4" wide is BIG! Anyway while messing around trying to figure out how i orded 6 feet of kevlar and had small cathedral wicks, i decided to try som..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,739    Replies: 2
"Does anyone see any advantage to the cathedral fold on wick over the rolled up wick? the corners always seem to singe and loose fuel on the cathedrals."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,497    Replies: 5
"Awhile back, I remember reading a thread about foiling your wicks to avoid soot marks and the shinyness on the foil looks cool. Well, after trying it..maybe I just suck, but the foil al..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,861    Replies: 16
"We just invented a new poi toy, it is a spiked mace poi. We took a rubber dog toy that is round with lots of soft rubber spikes on it, covered it with that black rubber coating (the stu..."
Views: 2,245    Replies: 0
"i've got some friends that pay minimal for the spread of play. they're going from school to school in the states on a big tour. looking for suggestions on music garb and are looking fr..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,281    Replies: 6
"The other evening my friends and I were trying out coloured flames. So i got some boric acid from the chemist and disolved as much as i could into metho. We soaked our poi and when we l..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,060    Replies: 4
"Hey peopleI was wondering where I should purchase photons onlineI kinda prefer the ASP Sapphire photons compared to the Photon Microlighta and I've seen them pretty cheap @ www.botachta..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,803    Replies: 17
"ok 10 bucks says no one remebers who I am...anyhow, making a firestaff and sadly Incendium's site doesnt work so i can't look this up there.... I have aluminum tubing, and was not goin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,302    Replies: 3
"For those of you who have used biodiesel....Is it as picky about burning as Kerosene is? Meaning, can it only be ignited when aspirated, very hot or soaked into something?Also, my under..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,752    Replies: 2
"Hi firelovers,I began play with fire a month ago and I love to practise in parks in the night. Last week a lampoil was accidentally issued to the ground into the grass. I was so sorry,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,644    Replies: 2
"i hav a set of poi which when spun shoot flames and sparks every where all u need is a ping-pong ball, a poi string with a clamp to attach any thing u want and a small globe (made out ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,895    Replies: 18
"I knew I was forgetting something. I have been meaning to post this for awhile and forgot until now.I was recently having a phone conversation with a friend who is a professional fire p..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,752    Replies: 11
"Hello people, I did a search and went and read the article on clothing and didn't see anything on this type of fabric, although I have been known to be blind like that... anyways I was..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,017    Replies: 8
"I was wondering if anyone knew a way to diffract the light from rav'n and photon lights to make the trail look bigger like what the rav'n crystals do. The only problem with the crystals..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,251    Replies: 3
"I didn't see this anywhere in the threads, and that was backed up by it not being in the store.My question relates to the store. I just bought a set of fire poi and am anxiously awaiti..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,328    Replies: 2
"just found a web site which may interest some of you. they do majic props and some really good pyro stuff (some of its a bit expensive). its at www.themagicbox.com"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,871    Replies: 1
"okay...i admit it...i'm easily frustrated...for some wacked out reason, i got most of the basic staff moves fairly quickly, and had a blast of a time playing around with it...(mostly wh..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,880    Replies: 2
"I was practicing and reading a few posts tonight and decided i am ready to make the transition to fire....and i was very happy to see the sale on the pure flame sets. i looked at the s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,656    Replies: 2
"Hi guys. Sorry I haven't been posting that often, doing a lot more practice and really getting into doubles staffs at the moment...Anyway, on topic, I've just been looking at all of my..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,344    Replies: 5
"okay, i do not know what this thing was called, and i have never seen anyone else use one of these things but i am going to try to explain it. first off the moves that the guy did with..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,628    Replies: 3
"I'm not sure where else to ask this.I'm interested in building a fire trombone.I figure there are two ways to approach this:light the horn itself, or have flames shoot out from the bell..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,457    Replies: 24
"Noticed that adamrice asked for feedback on the hand harnesses so I thought id start the thread as a few of his sets have started on the relay.I was able to use these poi whilst at Finn..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,352    Replies: 2
"Using Large Shop Towels that I purchased at Discount Auto Parts today, and following Pele's instructions (and a little ingeniousnes), I have made my first set of towel wicks, that have ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,155    Replies: 1
"Just wondering if anyone here does stretches or a warm-up before twirling stuff?I was trying out a few BTB things yesterday for the first time and reaching around, I painfully strained ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,456    Replies: 6
"It was suggested a while ago that use of toches/sticks would help learn moves. I had some moderate success with this on a few moves but let it go for just plain practicing. Now there ar..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,735    Replies: 8
"curious what staff users think,if you get a plastic tube, may have to be thick, but same size as a staff, and fill it with part water, part oil, maybe coloured oil, so they dont mix, an..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,946    Replies: 13
"I know these things were brought up in another post, but it was a little off-topic, and I think they deserve their own thread.Here are some pics of my sauce sticks. I love the different..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,778    Replies: 4
" Lately I have been using towel wicks that are about 2.5" x 5.5" but for safety and durability reasons have decided to make some kevlar interleaves. The towel wicks are pretty heavy wh..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,371    Replies: 5
"If I remember correctly, Copper Sulfate burns green or blueish-green. I havent seen anyone suggest that for colored flames, is there a reason for that? My friend had one of those chemis..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,918    Replies: 2
"I am living in Brisbane Queensland Australia and I am having trouble finding a supplier for my kevlar wicks. Can anyone help?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,207    Replies: 3
"I have been trying to find out the moves for the fountain (is that the one where it looks like you are completly surrounded by fire?).............Love is for all as well as for one"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,776    Replies: 7
"ok, i know i'm going to get some slack for not doing a search, but i want my questions answered specifically, so im sorry if im repeating posts.. im gunna be doing my first fire twirlin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,675    Replies: 3
"I do all of my poi with glowsticks right now, and I was planning to make a video so I can use it for a competition (not the one on this site since it will include other things). My que..."
Views: 2,047    Replies: 0
"I'm posting about an experience I had tonight.I was at a rehearsal tonight for a large show. While I normally use poi that I've made myself, tonight I was trying out the poi portion of..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,180    Replies: 14
"hey all, i have a solo performance coming up this week and i am curious how one can make a cauldron for performances -- small scale of course. i would just be using it to re-light my to..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,063    Replies: 14
"i have been using towel on ny poi wiks and I notice that the go out easy is there a way that i could still use towel still but make it stay lit?the closest place to get kevlar would bee..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,772    Replies: 28
"hey all well i just talked my mom into ordering me some poi, and ive been putting a lot of thought into which ones i want. question.. what are the differences between the regular he..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,356    Replies: 7
"I can find the more common ones like boric acid, but getting hold of stuff like strontium chloride is a nightmare, as it doesn't really have normal a household use.Everyone's like... wh..."
Views: 1,083    Replies: 0
"for my homemade wicks I use fiberglass rope. it works rather well. I haven't yet made any towel wicks. When I was looking for something to use I was told to try fiberglass rope, and it ..."
Views: 1,950    Replies: 0
"Ok, I was just up at a festival where we had waterpistols & bubble guns. (Aside: this combo makes for a great 3D shooting game, better than a playstaion 2).But, .. here's one for the t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,617    Replies: 5
"Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! Just got my Pure Flame 3-piece staff from Malcolm and took it to the Auckland Firenight last night in Victoria Park.The weight distribution is a little different to wh..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,930    Replies: 14
"I think...err, i've read that you guys soaked you're sparkly poi in kero. I've never actually tried to make sparkly poi. If you were to soak it in methanol and boric acid would the sp..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,056    Replies: 5
"Hello, i´m making my own practice poi, everything is going right thanx to the tips that are here given, but i´ve come to a question and is, how long is the best length for the poi str..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,356    Replies: 6
"I don't think anything has been posted about this, and yes before you ask i did search the topic.Tonight i was looking through my dads electronics product sheet looking for some cheap s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,892    Replies: 2
"ok, ok, this might have been covered before but, I'm new to this site and I'm hoping to get away with my stupidity.how do you make coloured flame? what effects does it have on the wick?..."
Last Reply by
Views: 13,070    Replies: 17
"i think this is where it belongs, if not please feel free to whip me into submission madames and sirs alike. any ways, when i do all of my wraps with fire i put on my camoflauge shirt,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,592    Replies: 12
"Hi,I saw a design of flourescent poi the other night which I've never seen before but they look and feel excellent. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get them. Here's a descrip..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter