Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,211    Replies: 3
"Hiya guys ! I was checking through homeofpoi.com a while back looking for some good glo-stick dancing links. I was just glad to find some people with a similar obsession ! Anyway, t..."
Views: 1,315    Replies: 0
"I would like to make a comment about the references on fireperformers.com, and this is actually be passed on from two of my customers who I recently had add references in for myself.The..."
Views: 1,151    Replies: 0
"for about the past 6 months now i have been working on a meteor that clamps apart in the middle and has handles that rotate around a cable like alot of party kids do with pens and i wa..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,739    Replies: 6
"First question.... who knows where i can buy aluminum tubing? what kinds of stores? and does Home depot sell dowel rods over 4ft? (there isn't one real real close to here, so i'd rather..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,555    Replies: 1
"does anyone know anything about sparkle poi? What it is? Where I can get it? Etc....Please help!Thanx"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,238    Replies: 7
"I'm looking to find some small lights to attach up the length of my strings/chains. I need something less directed than an led. preferably cheaper as well. any ideas would be most appre..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,686    Replies: 1
"Hi everyone, I am in need of your suggestions re: wholesale suppliers of the COOLEST rave toys and flasy, blinky toys around..I will be selling at The So.Cal. Renaissance Faire and vari..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,000    Replies: 1
"what are the best fuels to use for fire transfers?i can't seem to get a very big flame with rubbing alcohol.can anyone help?thanks and PEACE,V"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,932    Replies: 6
"and it needs to be not online b/c i don't have a credit card "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,073    Replies: 16
"Hi all.Just wondering if there was an easy technique for shortening your chains. I've been wrapping my chains (ball chain, if it's of any relevance) around the first two fingers of each..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,490    Replies: 15
"Hello! Another new person!!I wanted to thank Woody for his instructions on how to make the wire wool poi. I made some on tuesday nite, and used them at our fire gathering. WOW!! i set..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,883    Replies: 8
"You can tell was made by a beginner. lol, anyway. I took the straps (finger loops) and string from my zuni's, and threaded a keyring through a glow in the dark street hockey ball...th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,011    Replies: 15
"ok...after much anticipation i lit my poi and staff for the first time the other day...my one problem is the kerosene getting everywhere! i dunk the staff and then spinn it between my ..."
Views: 1,908    Replies: 0
"MOVED"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,763    Replies: 2
"I was at walmart a couple weeks ago, and picked up something called a pocket strobe. I don't really know how to describe it..but it's a keychain..and it even has a clip. But..it light..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,913    Replies: 2
"hello there,i have been looking at this site for a week now and i must say that I really wanted to start on poi myself. I wanted to know what would be the best thing to do for a newbie ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,937    Replies: 16
"There's been some talk of local safety regulations. Here's Austin's regs, straight from the fire marshal. I know there are some controversial points in here, but I'm not going to commen..."
Views: 2,134    Replies: 0
"How do YOU go about holding your strap (if single, of course) I haven't really chosen a method since I just switched from the finger loops..so what do you prefer?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,368    Replies: 6
"I've been playing with my homemade fire staff for a while, and I've noticed that I have really short burn times.When I made it, the guy who sold me the wicking (at Renegade) said I woul..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,252    Replies: 8
"Okay, just be nice to me because I am just beginning, I bought my first pois at the Byron Bay markets the other day and I have just started using some things I learnt when I was travell..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,282    Replies: 11
"Does anyone know a good way of getting the screws through the wicking?Usually, i have been drilling holes in the metal and through the wood, marking where they are with a felt pen line,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,099    Replies: 4
"What are the differences between heads for pure flame set and tube core fire heads? Are either better than the other? Which would be best for a first time fire user? I have a routine..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,934    Replies: 14
"hey everybody... just wanted to let everyone know that,esp. if you are using any kind of alcohol based fuels(coleman, denatured alcohol, jet fuel,etc.) there are cans called safety cans..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,185    Replies: 23
"I have just recieved my electroglow poi (Within 5 days &lbr;very impressed&rbr;) and it suddenly occured to me that I can switch the leds from my poi to the staff and vice versa. Theref..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,343    Replies: 24
"Hi all, I just came accross a new fuel the the other day, odour reduced kero. And I want to know a bit about it.It's great stuff, first of all it barely smells! Yay!Burning wise i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,568    Replies: 6
"Does anyone have any tips or suggestions with learning reverse moves? I just can't get my turns smooth without learning the reverse wave and I'm having a hard time learning it. Any sug..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,697    Replies: 7
"I am just like learning how to this this and i only get to see the person who teaches me about 1 time a month, and i was just wondering if there is any way not to have ribbons and tails..."
Views: 2,358    Replies: 0
"I started a grip discussion in the Poi Moves forum since people were asking a bunch of grip questions there. If moderators feel it should be moved to this thread, i won't be offended. =..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,384    Replies: 5
"what is the difference between swinging torches and juggling torches? Is it the weighting, proportions or just that knob on the end? Are swinging torches easy to juggle or juggleable at..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,121    Replies: 3
"I was wondering if anyone could tell me any chemicals that would change the color of the fire. Not in mid swing or anything just getting tired of the same orange color of white gas. ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,863    Replies: 8
"Hey. I'm looking to build a double handed staff ( a staff so long it can only be twirled with two hands)...and Im considering putting three wicks on each end....anyone done this sort of..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,029    Replies: 13
"All:The Zuni brand poi, manufactured by InfinityToys, I am pleased to report have improved greatly since falling out of favor here on HOP.A friend gets em wholesale and brought them for..."
Views: 2,166    Replies: 0
"okay, here's the deal. I've tried making some comet/streamer poi, like the ones available in the shop, but every time I have the same problem. Basically, I find that the inertia of th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,961    Replies: 8
"Which is better, Cable or Chain pois? Also with cable pois can you do the disc move?"
Last Reply by
Views: 5,080    Replies: 10
"hi all, i'm trying to start a show your flags thread. i don't mind if it becomes a show your gear thread. ; ) heres my second set of flags, neutek. &lbr;img&rbr; http://photos.yahoo.com..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,085    Replies: 5
"Hello, haven't been in this forum for some time hehewell, anyone know what lenght is the perfect lenght for long staff? I like long staff, not short ones for doubles staffinI am 182cm, ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,016    Replies: 1
"I dont know if any of you have tried this but ive just come across an old, but unused axe handle (the sort that lumberjacks use) and thought it would be good fun to 'give it a twirl'. I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,696    Replies: 2
"Just been thinking. If the problem was that before the LED units would slide up and into the tube, never to be seen again, and now they are glued in place to stop this, so you cant inte..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,703    Replies: 14
"Ok, definetly a super newbie here, but I made my first set of practice poi today...., ok, i think my computer hates me but we are going to try this again. Anyhow, I had wire parshially ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,006    Replies: 23
"I'm using like a 3'5" piece of 2*2, is there anything wrong with that or should i look for something narrower and or something rounder? (I have a towel taped on teh center so the cente..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,227    Replies: 11
"Yeah right. thats what I always thought too.Until last week.Was practicing some fire when the local group of hardcore mountain bikers cam eup as they usually do and one of them borrowed..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,965    Replies: 8
"I've just started to learn staff twirling, and while my broom handle will do for the moment, I'll need to get a proper fire staff at some point. I would like to know what you all think ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,129    Replies: 5
"Just been reading about sorcha's self lighting staff...had an idea...SELF LIGHTING POI! (crowd: "ooooo...ahhhhhh")Attach some strings to the poi heads, soak them in a fast fuel, and ke..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,721    Replies: 1
"Now I'm not completely sure, but DuPont is a manufacturer of kevlar right? Well Dupont have a company in Norwood, Adelaide. I'm just wondering, has anyone checked this out before to see..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,873    Replies: 17
"ok im so giddy with excitment!i am now the proud owner of a self igniting staff!!and im gonna tell you all how to do it!!heres the story...One day i went to a magic shop with my trusty ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,443    Replies: 4
"I've pretty much got a couple of costumes down, one that is mostly leather and another that is leather and cotton. However, my spiky punked out hair seems sort of boring for shows somet..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,152    Replies: 6
"I'm looking to get some big bad ass flames and was just wondering which would do a better job for me...the 4inch pure flame heads or the cathedral wicks? Anyone have any suggestions?Lat..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,976    Replies: 5
"Like many, im sick of buying glowstick after glowstick and i'm interested in StreetLights. Some sites sell StreetLights, some sell Super Streetlighs (claimed to be twice as bright). Y..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,306    Replies: 21
"Gnueergh. Aarrgaarah. Mnyah hmmma.Now we can't just go outside and spin wenever we like. Now it's going to be difficult. If we legitimately want to set fire to ourselves we have to go f..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,872    Replies: 5
"Hey!Ive been making fire sculptures of names, letters and phrases for about a year now and doing it my own way...I cant find anything on how to make 'real' ones, can anybody help?I usua..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter