Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,239    Replies: 4
"I am having difficulty finding a place that sells fire knives wif out that sharp pointy hurty edge for making some sweet fire poi. I want to use replica movie stage prop knives that hav..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,441    Replies: 20
"Yes, yes, yes, I know this topic as been around before. I've already done heaps of searching.I've just managed to get a hold of some chemicals. Boric Acid and Potassium Permanganate. Bo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,758    Replies: 7
"Ok, I know I am opening a can of worms but what is considered to be the plural of staff.I would assume staves but ..... so yall that are intell.... clever, let me know. k. Li..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,283    Replies: 3
"Did you ever get that kevlar thread ? if so how did it compare to the hobby store stuff. As to your email about contracts i have a lawyer who is part of my saftey team he does all..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,497    Replies: 1
"i did a search on this fuel question but i didnt have all of next month to read through all of them .. so i am taking the softer easyier way as always i need to know what they cal..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,498    Replies: 8
"Anyone?I found this link tonight: http://www.birdbrand.co.uk/paraffin.htm Inc VAT and delivery it works out at about a quid a litre. The MSDS is available on the page too. Has anyone tr..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,768    Replies: 12
"Staff"
Last Reply by
Views: 4,630    Replies: 19
"Help, PLEASE!Some of you must have done this many times.On behalf of the brand-new ORANGEFIRE crew in California,for which i'm setting up a separate website to hotlink/"remot..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,842    Replies: 12
"hey, today, a5mm thick1" longStainless SteelScew LockingD ringfailed.fair enough theyre on my metiors which are especialy heavy but thease things should be good for 500lbs at least! And..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,298    Replies: 2
"Do you do the meteor with a poi or just glowsticks? Well if it is with poi, can someone give me a good explanation as to how to do the meteor? It sounds pretty cool. I actually kinda ju..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,228    Replies: 6
"How does everyone seal the end of homemade tubecore wicks ? Having tried with fire proof cement I realised that in order to make the stuff hard you had to heat it to a very high te..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,149    Replies: 6
"hey hey everyone. heres my question, i have been using meteors for a while now but i havent even tuched them for the past couple of months. all because the helicopter . i bought Rh..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,052    Replies: 1
"whats electroglo? is it glowsticks?? Someone please explain!!! "
Last Reply by
Views: 1,758    Replies: 9
"Hi have been doing fire poi for around a month and would really like to know which is the less smelliest fuel to use. As my neighbours have complained about the smell.... Have used ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,631    Replies: 9
"Ok, In chapelfield gardens in norwich, few nights ago, spinning with some mates end up coming away with a few war wounds . Spit burns and a few nasty skin burns after my skipping rop..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,461    Replies: 3
"Don't know if I should file this one here, or under "other toys". Lets give it a shot here.I built some torches for fire eating, worked myself up to it with some safties around, etc, et..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,400    Replies: 18
"today i went to radio shack and picked up some LED's they're about 2 bux each and they're nice and bright. after fooling around with some old wires, batteries, glowsticks, knives, ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,998    Replies: 10
"What up everybody. Hey is there anyway that I can spin my flames and not smell of fuel after I spin. Just curious. Thanx"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,004    Replies: 5
"Ok Im interested in medi-evil weapons and after picking up Poi very fast Im makeing a set of Poi with a Haft just like a Flail for my first proformance.Has anyone got any Ideas or sugge..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,470    Replies: 6
"Okie I am all for the beaming poi they are the greatest thing short of fire,the only problem tho is after about a month or two of good use I seem to break them,I took one apart and noti..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,975    Replies: 2
"OK, here's a new hurdle we've been presented with for public performances; we've got the fire marshall thing down, we've got the liability insurance thing covered, BUT:We've been contra..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,739    Replies: 9
"So I'm making a new pair of cathedral wicks and attempting to, for the first time, make them right.5' of kevlar per wick, interweave style, with a 2" to 3" eyebolt through them. My que..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,272    Replies: 17
"In your humble opinion, which is harder, poi or staff:to learn? to do well?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,583    Replies: 2
"hey i'm interested in making an electroglo staff,but i think the ones on hop are abit to small,iv'e always liked to twirl longer staffs....anyways i was wondering where abouts in austra..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,843    Replies: 17
"I've had an idea, I'm quite sure someone somewhere has already done this but I've never seen it:Take your average firestaff and chop the ends off a few inches below the wicks so you hav..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,020    Replies: 18
"I bought my electroglo poi a few months back - they;re wicked at first..easy to use,light weight and fairly bright. I've been having loads of problems with mine recently. Mine are r..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,287    Replies: 9
"Not looking for insructions here, just wondering if anybody has managed to master some form of double Poi-ing (I.E. two poi in each hand spinning at opposites!)I reckon it has to be pos..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,288    Replies: 1
"i was wandering if anyone new any thing about the product pegasol 3440 special(Oldname)or solvent 3440 special (newname)reason being this: about 3/4 weeks agothe priceof the old name wa..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,114    Replies: 12
"Here's one for all the chemists out there...Would adding Meths (Methylated spirits) to your paraffin have any particular consequences?In my mind (which isn't in any way a chemists mind)..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,209    Replies: 2
"ah k,here's the thing....when i bought my set of electroglo they were absolutely amazing until i hit them together a few times and one started to dim down and i thought it was the batte..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,230    Replies: 2
"Just thought I would let everyone know, incase you didn't already,that you can buy t-cut polish (as recommended to by glass for polishing out the nicks, scratches and dents in your cont..."
Views: 2,442    Replies: 0
"I don't know if any of you have tried before, but you can order Titanium Flakes and roll your wicks in it to make instant sparkly poi. It lasts for about 3 - 4 minutes before burning o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,179    Replies: 22
"Ok...now i know this isn't the best of forum's for this sort of question, but I've talked to several different "experts" in both the photography and retail sectors and none of them have..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,312    Replies: 4
"High i was going to make my own poi fire heads. i wanted to make a cathedral head, and was wondering how much wick i would need to buy. i know someone who bought there fire poi from her..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,809    Replies: 6
"Okay, if this is totally a cracked idea y'all can just laugh at me but in looking to make my first set of wicks I've had a thought about wick construction. When looking at cathedral fol..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,811    Replies: 3
"i've seen a lot of them on martial arts suppliers web pages, but has anyone ever tried one, it sounds like it would stop a lot of pain. I have foam nunchucks, and they're great, no pai..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,695    Replies: 12
"Im thinking of buying some of these new astrojax saturn, check the site...http://www.astrojax.com/products/ajsaturn.htmlthey do look cool, especially the disco effect. also it will be ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,176    Replies: 18
"This has occured to a lot lately, but more so when we were out spinning in front of the national this weekend on Block Island. (it's a big hotel). Anyhow, it doesn't bother me at all to..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,558    Replies: 2
"Does anyone know of a store that sells poi paraphanelia in tx?Iknow I can order online but I wanna see it in person before I buy anything."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,677    Replies: 4
"I need help!!! I'm traveling to Jamaica for a week at a resort and I want to spin fire on the beach there. Does anyone know some fuels that I can take, or easily find there???? &lbr;..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,139    Replies: 2
"*product of an overactive imagination*step one: obtain pair of virtual reality goggles.step two: get a pair of those wicked little snake cameras used by swat teams and bank robbers in ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,243    Replies: 22
"Recently I had a friend find a nifty toy at some store..not even sure what store it is. Anyway, it was a mini-flashlight thing that had three LED's inside of it instead of one. Red, gre..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,348    Replies: 1
"Does anyone know of any company that sells or produces a non toxic non flammable body paints or paint that can be used upon ones skin? I do alot of shows where I like to paint myself up..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,239    Replies: 3
"Hi,I just got my fire poi and ive bought some paraffin, but i think the paraffin ive got isnt too good for u (not that any is )I was just wondering what paraffin people use (in the U..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,853    Replies: 1
"I want to learn about fire spinning/dancing- and would like to start by learning how to make good practice fire chains/wicks/poi (not sure what to call them). I did have some tennis ba..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,472    Replies: 18
"I had this idea for a new toy the other day, but I don't have the skillz to build it, unfortunately...I thought I'd toss it out there in case anyone else would like to give it a go.Basi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,339    Replies: 1
"I have been ripping my hair out trying to find some where in Queensland that I can buy Kevlar wicking in bulk. If anyone can help, I would be greatly appreciated. I live on the Sunshine..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,492    Replies: 15
"I've looked high and low in hardware stores across Dallas. I've checked every link I can imagine in the yellow pages. All this just to find some kevlar wick to make me some chains. I wo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,892    Replies: 3
"Just wanting 2 know what ya'll thought of hybrid wicks...good..bad?? If anyone uses them, what are their burn times..big flame or small. What types of materials would one use to make ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,838    Replies: 15
"hello all. i'm wondering if anyone out here has tried the bearclaw mfg countach wicks? (http://www.bearclawmfg.com/s_wick.html) i am considering buying some because they look ubercool ..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter