Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,573    Replies: 7
"ok i dont know how much help this is but i've heard that if you saok a corner of a towel in water and then dribbles some alcahol on then light it up it will be in perfect condition when..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,423    Replies: 4
"ok i know this has been covered a quadgillzillimillion times but when usin different coloured flames what is the best fuel to use. Please dont get this confused with the chemicals as i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,377    Replies: 2
"I'm sure there was a post on this a while ago, which I can't find now.. Does anyone know how to treat fabrics (including synthetics) to make them fireproof? Many thanks. XXOO"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,627    Replies: 4
"I have poi that r wires instead of chains. But as time has passed they seem to be kinking and now its getting quite bad, i mean it dont make much of a difference when im spinning excep..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,516    Replies: 12
"Hi, I am in the process of constructing my very first fire poi. I used the cathedral style construction and hold it together with a large screw and two lock nuts on the bottom. As this ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,159    Replies: 10
"Hi all!We've got an audtion tonight and we're using lots of UV things.I painted up some white robot masks as as experiment but when I put them under the light, the white masks weren't U..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,945    Replies: 14
"What aspects of fire staff construction are important to look for when buying one?There seem to be quite a few different designs and I'd like to make the right choice.Having a staff tha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,755    Replies: 19
"does cold weather affect fire breatheing in any way?i'm up here in Alberta canada and i was wondering if cold weather like -15 degrees celsius - -30 degrees celsius affect fire breathin..."
Views: 3,858    Replies: 0
"I couldn't find any pictures of veggie oil fire breathing and a lot of people seemed interested in the subject. These were taken a couple of weeks ago of my first time fire breathing. ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,834    Replies: 33
"We all know of the popular double poi and staff and it's variations, flags, staff with one big flag covering the intire staff, the cross configureation staff,clubs,batons ect..My questi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,133    Replies: 4
"DON'T PLAY WITH FIREWORKS!Now we've got that out of the way, has anyone found any good sparklers for poi available in the shops this year? I bought 2 different types from Homebase this ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,853    Replies: 2
"Hey, I'm Ricky and I'm new here so hi everyone.But to the point. I live in an area where i am the only person around interested in fire "arts", and im trying to get started. I have a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,129    Replies: 13
"hey have any of you guys ever dunked tennis balls in rubber cement, sparked them up and played fire street tennis at night? werd."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,681    Replies: 25
"Does anyone know where you can buy kevlar cheaper in bulk and how muchyou need to buy to be able to get it cheaper .cheer guys &lbr;garbo&rbr; &lbr; 03 September 2002, 01:12:..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,480    Replies: 7
"What's in your first aid kit? Here's what we pack:a. Semi-clear plastic luchbox to put everthing in. Semi-clear and you can hold it up and see what your looking for.b. Aloe vera spray..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,734    Replies: 6
"Looking for a source of perspex rod. Something about 1 to 1.5 cm across. Need about a meter of it.Why? Hoping to make decent LED poi, an LED staff and have a bit of a play. Glowstick..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,002    Replies: 4
"Ive asked this in the 'bearclaw snakes' thread, but i thought id do a separate entry before it gets lost!!!! can anyone help? "
Views: 1,853    Replies: 1
"Hey Everybody,I haven't been on the boards a lot lately, so I'm not sure if anybody's talked about these things yet, but I doubt they have, so I will.I was looking through this catalogu..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,923    Replies: 2
"I want to host an event at the beach.On top of fire performance I want to get an internet connection there, for all you cyber gats out there could someone tell me how this could go abou..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,470    Replies: 5
"this is a follow up question to how to get "cableless internet connection". With all your computer ware set up (dsl/phone line,laptop,wi-fi), there exists the power source... What I wa..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,407    Replies: 31
"Does anyone know the answer to this?How about the differences between a Lamp Oil Soak and a Coleman Soak?Thanks Code128"
Last Reply by
Views: 4,338    Replies: 6
"I want to make some metal stilts and can find only wooden designs on the net. Does anyone know where I can find a design for them?"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,892    Replies: 9
"does anyone know where i can get some small uv lights to make my comet poi look all pretty and bright??? maybe ebay??? "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,372    Replies: 7
"Hi there,I've been practicing poi for about two months now ( with tennis balls) I found it quite helpful since the weight helps you get momentum. Now, last week I tried doing the same m..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,568    Replies: 1
"I dont know anything about fire breathing but surely the more alcoholic of drinks, Brandy, Whisky etc could be just as effective as the fuel that breathers use?Plus it doesnt matter rea..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,359    Replies: 4
"Okay before I go out and douse my countach full of this stuff Someone tell me if they have ever lit up with vegetable oil and what the heck it does to kevlar? I think it would smell l..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,304    Replies: 15
"Does anyone know where I can find kevlar on Vancouver Island?... I'm in Victoria, but I've given up searching here. I'm getting tired of making coupletime-use wicks.Thanks!"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,565    Replies: 4
"I have a big problem... I have a show tomorrow night, and my Poi still arn't here. So I was hoping someone could give me hint's on how to make them. I know how to make the chains, and w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,365    Replies: 8
"Ok, dilema,Bought some metal cable to make some poi cables with and then realisedthat fasioning the ends into anything that remotely looks likea loop is very difficult not do but to sec..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,773    Replies: 2
"Here's throwing out an idea:Gyroscopes, the type you wind up with a string and pull, are annoying. However, there do exist gyroscopes that run off batteries and an electric motor. They ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,238    Replies: 19
"well, never done fire eating before so i guess im looking for everything from a how to build wicks thingie to how to treat lip burns and everything in between. all i know is this wire:..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,328    Replies: 1
"has ne else used these personally I think they're great"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,533    Replies: 4
"How did cathedral wicks get their name?Why do they burn so much longer than the rolled kind of wicks?Thanks!Raph"
Last Reply by
Views: 5,578    Replies: 13
"i did a few searches and didn't find anything, so here goes. I wanted to do this in technical because altho i am posting for staffers you can apply a lot of this to other toys or weapon..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,600    Replies: 23
"I just split my dowel shaft Is there any particular wood that is maybe a little harder wearing, or do I just need to be less abusive to my staff?J"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,514    Replies: 1
"quick question: what`s the difference between a #13 SS and a #15 NPS chain?Wich one is more handy to use?thanx"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,701    Replies: 3
"Hey guys, I'm doing a write up-waste-of-time-strange-thing-that-i-don't-understand on meteors for a friend about fire toys, but I can't find a pic of a meteor anywhere, and I don't real..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,832    Replies: 5
"hey im in the south waikato of New Zealand and i need to re-wick my poi's but i have only found it if 1 place and that was a gispy fair but the wick they had was too thick the wick on m..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,762    Replies: 6
"hi iam considering getting a new staff, i currently own a 5 foot aluminum staff with 2 wood inserts at either end, and single wick on each end, it is 3.4" thick. I got a quote from fire..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,127    Replies: 5
"I just ordered some electroglo poi from this site and I was just wondering if anyone has them. I just want to know if they are very durable and how much they hurt when you hit your self..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,308    Replies: 3
"Anyone have any tips for making a pair of these yourself?"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,731    Replies: 9
"Hiya loverly people....I have recently become a fire worshiper and have bought myself a set of cathedrals. I have used them 3 times. The first time I ever used them I soaked them ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,222    Replies: 7
"spinny thingslines and lines and lines and lines and lines!what do they do...?i've never even heard about these things let alone seen someone playing with them. anyone tried 'em?"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,536    Replies: 3
"so I was just wondering if there is really any differences in the thickness of wicking (1/8 vs. 1/16) rather then the obvious fact you need to use twice as much 1/16. will the 1/16 wear..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,851    Replies: 27
"has anyone had experience with mixing potassium permanganate and kero??? ive read a few msds'and i think it will be ok but if anyone has any input im listening!"
Last Reply by
Views: 4,705    Replies: 11
"I have a question about constructing handles for fire poi: I know that when it comes to clothes for fire, synthetic = bad because it will melt. I would assume the same is true for the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,234    Replies: 5
"anybody know any websites to buy some pure kevlar rope. anybody? please? help?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,756    Replies: 14
"There had been a bit of interest shown in club/torch swinging recently so perhaps it's a good time to start a general discussion on club swinging. I really enjoy clubs because I like t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,050    Replies: 14
"I have not learend a new poi/staff move in ages! I am so far from my spinning family that it makes me sick!! Dang anyone got any moves that they can explain with detailed construction..."
Last Reply by
Views: 24,106    Replies: 3
"ok...can someone please tell me the difference between kerosene and paraffin!!!The way you guys talk about it on here it sounds as though they are the same thing....but my chemistry not..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter