Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,186    Replies: 8
"what's the best music for you to spin fire??i enjoy a lot african drums when i'm spinning fire, what genders do you like the most??"
Last Reply by
Views: 6,110    Replies: 4
"All righty, I'm considering grabbing up some of the new oval link chain they got here on hop.My question is, are swivels really a necessity? I've been playing around with some poi that..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,246    Replies: 5
"Ciao, poisters italiani!My boyfriend is about to head off again to Italy - last year he tried to buy paraffin for his fire poi but got a bit stuck, since there seem to be several differ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,223    Replies: 4
"I just bought a pair of Monkeyfist poi from this site, but it doesnt say what the core is made out of. Does anybody know?"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,810    Replies: 1
"Has anyone seen the light-stik by feral tech up close or in action or own one? http://www.glowgadgets.co.uk/Light_StiK_twirling.htm Looks cool, wonder if anyone has reviewed them or not..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,364    Replies: 5
"Hello all,For a while now, I've been working on some software to simulate glow toys. It got a bit of a kick from the disucssion over here , and now the first version is ready... Hopeful..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,492    Replies: 55
"Yeah, yeah, I did an exhaustive search and found scattered information on meteors but it seems to me that "meteors" is the ghost toy of firetwirling. Some people claim to have seen the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,339    Replies: 11
"http://www.mutace.com/Recice2/recice13.html . "
Last Reply by
Views: 4,193    Replies: 14
"I was wondering if I wrap a wooden staff with aluminum tape, would that be sufficient to prevent the wood from lighting on fire. I'm aware that eventually, the wood probably will still ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,750    Replies: 17
"so, if any of you out there are old school, like me, and use towel...those fun burns that the metal gives you when you wrap can be even better! when you make your wicks, just leave enou..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,191    Replies: 3
"Just received my order for 100 glowsticks from ebay today. They were only Ā£7 so I cant complain.They are quite long (cant be bothered to fetch a ruler) I dunno maybe 17". And very thin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,672    Replies: 17
"Who here has information on the Neon Husky clear staff? Also I want to know if there are any like products. Specifically the information I need is: Diamater of the staffRelative weight ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,697    Replies: 4
"My friend is just starting to learn fire poi in Halifax Nova Scotia and can't find Paraffin. any help would be appreciated. she should sign up here soon too.thanks!"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,423    Replies: 3
"Please please please don't refer me to other posts. I really need to know the best type of bolt to put through some cathedral wicks and where I can aquire them. Or can someone give me a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,268    Replies: 7
"Hey i'm new here. This has probs been asked heaps of times but i'm too lazy to check. Just wondering what information you can give me on making new sticks. I am aware of all the kevl..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,415    Replies: 1
"I'm looking for something that does allot of light, works on batteries and doesn't need to be replaced.http://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails.php/fire/155/poi/37I've looked on the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,493    Replies: 10
"Hello. First let me warn you I'm new to the hobby of poi, with, or without fire.Last night was the third time I used fire to date, and after seeing how quickly my towel wicks weakened, ..."
Views: 2,569    Replies: 0
"I just made a torch and I was wondering how big everyone else makes theirs (or the ones they use)Mine measured out to be 2.5 inches long by 1.5 inches wide at the widest point, in a 'do..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,446    Replies: 10
"Ok, i'm confused I understand backwards and forwards weave.But BTB..If you take a forwards weave and then transition to BTB, is that a BTB forwards or backwards weave? I seem to have s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,850    Replies: 8
"after you allow for distance from the wick to the handle/joints, there's only about a difference of a foot available, but for me the appeal is in its ability to be compacted, and the fa..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,909    Replies: 10
"After initially planning on making my own monkey fists i've decided it's not gonna cost me much more and is going to be much less hassle just to buy a set from our wonderful HOP shop. ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,711    Replies: 6
"For those who use beanbags as poi weight, which beans do you find to be the lightest? I need to make big bags soon, and want to keep them as light as possible. I'm currently using lenti..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,033    Replies: 2
"for those of u who dont know this move its like alternating the beats of your poi so that the poi hit at different parts onn a giant imaginary clock. like 12-6, 1:30-7:30 so on and so f..."
Views: 1,704    Replies: 0
"My friend is currently making me a twirling costume for preformances.While the pants are purely cotton, the top is a mixture of cotton and polyester (i think 80% cotton and 20% polyeste..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,104    Replies: 11
"has anyone used/had a chance to see them in action? opinons, money burning hole in pockets syndrome"
Last Reply by
Views: 4,541    Replies: 27
"My fire troupe have been working on a few acro - balances etc like standing on each other and forming a human pyramid. We then get thrown a staff each (or doubles if you are on the top)..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,996    Replies: 2
" So I learned a bit of poi in Costa Rica from a wonderful woman who learned it in Thailand. We'd been practicing with extremely high tech tennis balls and string. So now I'm back in C..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,334    Replies: 1
"I am sure that alot of us have played with using different coloured flames. The one I have used most is boric acid mixed with metho to create a bright green flame. I think that, and usi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,063    Replies: 7
"It seems to me that, by consensus, the best fuel for firespinning is Juggleart's Firewater. That is not available over here in the UK so the next best thing seems to be Shellsol TK.I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,504    Replies: 16
"I have been trying to find the name of a Japanese (I believe) weapon. It is like the standard Fire Poi, a long ball chain, say about 3/4 - 1 metre, but it has a 3-4 Inch blade on the en..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,106    Replies: 17
"I do alot of workshops for kids and need alot of equipment but cant afford expensive gear, has anyone got any ideas on making poi, clubs, juggling balls, staff, devil stick etc "
Last Reply by
Views: 5,136    Replies: 13
"I was at wallyworld(walmart) last night looking around at different fuels. Their coleman fuel didn't say anything on it about what it was made of or anything of that sort, which in my ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,942    Replies: 9
"first question... has anyone else tried this?I tried it for the first time last night, and thought it was really fun, kind of a neat alternate workout. I havn't actually gotton to a sk..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,595    Replies: 7
"I love doing the burnoff thing with the staff where you spin it and get a big whoosh but is there an equivalent move for poi?I have tried spinning it like a cowboy rope... hard to exp..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,905    Replies: 1
"greetings (my first post)I've been practicing for a bout a month and a week or so, using a light and a rather heavy poi set (ball and chain, self constructed). An idea came to me to mak..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,331    Replies: 35
"Finally got myself a pair of Malcolm's really wicked "Wolf's Revenge" poi. The cable seems to swing a bit differently from the chains I normally use. Actually had quite a blast them un..."
Views: 2,820    Replies: 0
"I just saw glow sticks at asda. they do them like earrings (little sticks an inch long, fof Ā£1) and then larger ones that i haven't unwrapped that i guess are about 4 inches long, also..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,508    Replies: 5
"hi this is a good way of making bright hot fire headsthanks for Kadaragretshttp://www.firesouls.de/files/board_files/Poi_Knoten.zip"
Views: 1,240    Replies: 0
"I found an awesome place to get aluminum for staffs. It's in Salem & called Airport Steel. You can get any length you want, up to 8 feet, they cut to order & it's pretty sturd..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,997    Replies: 5
"OK, I've gotten statements both ways in the past, but I need a definitive answer... can i store either or both of these in a pvc container:KeroseneButane (pressurized)please only answe..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,517    Replies: 1
"I'm looking to buy some braided rope (to make some rope poi) but i wanna put the ends together and then twist it around and around and sew it together, does anyone have any idea on how ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,978    Replies: 12
"Does anyone know if this is a good fuel for twirling?"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,910    Replies: 4
"Hello,I just purchased some LED lights from this website and I need to weigh them down with something. Anybody have any ideas???Melanie"
Views: 1,032    Replies: 0
"hello everyone,im abit of a newbe at staff and i have just moved to manchester i was wounding if anyone does a staff workshop in the area?mike.c"
Last Reply by
Views: 8,549    Replies: 22
"How similar to swinging poi is swinging nunchucks? I've never seen or been near any before. (asides from watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) Are the moves similar or are we talking a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,131    Replies: 10
"Alright, I know there is many of them out there, but I went through about 15 pages of topics and didn't find what I needed to know.Now, I usually use the nice Ultra Pure Lamp Oil stuff ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,741    Replies: 3
"It could be another one of those fire urban legends, but I heard about a fire flag used by some high school band that actually has fire flags(the pole kind), with no wicks! They were su..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,548    Replies: 37
"hi there i did a saerch but found nothing has someone tested the feraltec light stick fromwww.feraltechnologies.com/au "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,831    Replies: 4
"Hiyas..Constructing my first set of poi fire wicks.I have the needed 2" Kevlar wicking and basic construction technique down, catherdral, accordian etc..Before I proceed and drills hole..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,617    Replies: 20
"What kinds of cameras do you use to get those great shots with the flame trails?Is it just using a slow shutter speed, or is there more to it than that?Thanks for the help!Raphael"
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter