Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,128    Replies: 3
"Has anyone seen or used these before? http://www.firewhip.com/poi.html <-- Third poi down. Named "Wrapper Poi")Its an interesting concept and i was just wondering wether they are rev..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,902    Replies: 11
"Im going to make a set of fire staffs, first time ive done it so im a bit clueless.im going to use aliminium tubing, 20mm diameter and 3mm wall thickness, but most suppliers around me o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,905    Replies: 3
"Hi,I'm kinda new poier ; I ve discovered it recently and it s awesome. I ve been practising allready quite a lot and I wanna make a fire whick, but where do I find Kevlar???? In what ki..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,507    Replies: 12
"Most of the time I just keep quiet and brush them off as bad experiences etc. but I think that here would be a good place to share and get opinions!I’ve met and danced with a fair amo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,250    Replies: 5
"Earlier this month, I ordered three of Neon Husky's poi glowballs, one each of white, blue, and purple. They arrived this past wednesday, a little over a week after being shipped out.Fi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,694    Replies: 15
"Im going to be making a few staffs for myself, and i am just wondering how much kevlar wick is used per head before i go out and buy in from the HoP store.The heads im making are:1. 4 i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,356    Replies: 18
" One night when bored i burned off some fuel i had for an RC airplain i had. It was some type of oil and said 15% nitro on it. I burned it on the gorund and it lit very similarly to ke..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,450    Replies: 8
" I just wanted to find out if any of you had ever experimented with color(s) of the flame. I recall from a chemistry class that if you add metals/elements to the flame they burn up i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,827    Replies: 6
"soz for the newbie question but er are fyre poi a lot heavyer than tennis ball poi??, (i assume so)"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,600    Replies: 5
"Anyone who has seen the video for Cirque Du Soliel's show Alegria should recognise Karl Sanft as the polynesian fire staff spinner.If you haven't seen it, then I recommend it.I have wat..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,591    Replies: 8
"."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,945    Replies: 14
"im thinking im just going buy buy arround 10 ft. of 25mm kevlar rope from HOP, whats the best way to go about making snake poi? Thinking this might be enough to make 2 sets of 2 for a r..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,404    Replies: 6
"I made a makeshift rope dart after going to Falmouth 3 and getting a couple of lessons from Durbs (cheers mate!). Wanted to turn it into a fire version so that I can practise with it un..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,750    Replies: 41
"if you took a small tube of any material, preferably one of some strength, and had an LED at each end with a power source in the middle, and connected to each end of the small tube was ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,710    Replies: 7
"I couldnt find anything really talking about this, and I want to try it and thought Id see if anyone had some experience to suggest...Everyone knows about steel wool. I don't really car..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,233    Replies: 5
"okay, so i've got the design to make my own tail poi, and the catch is that i've already been to 6 fabric stores around where i live, and none of them carry uv reactive ripstop nylon. (..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,033    Replies: 12
"soo...i'm about to make a config for samurize (Samurize Homepage). hmm.. thats not the point. but first i've to make a desktop picture. i'm thinking of mostly white and some light blu..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,549    Replies: 7
"!!! POST DELETED !!!"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,223    Replies: 12
" Link1 Link2 anyone already tried it? andy"
Last Reply by
Views: 5,730    Replies: 8
"ok, here is something I often want to do given the fact that my digital camera can take .mov files - I want to take movies using the potrait direction (ie vertical), but would then need..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,986    Replies: 3
"Hey, have any of you ever spun fire with a chemical mixture added onto the wicking?Have any of you heard of it?I ran across a website where a few people were doing it - green fire, purp..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,664    Replies: 16
"OK!My fire spinning book just arrived from HoP (YAY)i was just flicking through it cause i am at work and dont have time for a full on read.In the book it suggests that your metal parts..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,410    Replies: 4
"there are all these fire poi/glowstick pics that looks awesome with huge trails... is it because they are spinning them so fast or is it just long exposure?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,300    Replies: 15
"Well you've prob been asked this tonnes but was just gonna ask a quicky.....I'm considering doing my first fire spinning sesh at the weekend and have read all the fire safety and fuel g..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,990    Replies: 18
"Post deleted by Hexagonic"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,338    Replies: 6
"I'm looking for parts in the London area to make some firestaffs/staves (sp?). Have looked around a few places like B&Q, Homebase, a local woodyard, a local gardening centre, etc. I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,738    Replies: 24
"I was sitting here at work and then i thought to myself.Exactly what IS fire? i mean its overly obvious that fire is an energy.But what exactly do you say when you want to describe fire..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,802    Replies: 15
"I recently saw a fire spinner who had two poi-like looking tools, yet the fire went all the way up the chain!?! Has anyone seen these tools for sale online anywhere? They are quite the ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,438    Replies: 8
"I've been playing around with different grip designs for the last couple of years and have decided to try out a wrist harness with attached finger loops. Everything else I have tried so..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,396    Replies: 5
"i saw someone with some micro-lights (RAV'N lights actually) hooked up inside two whiffle balls. any idea how best to connect these, so that the light is stable inside the ball and ach..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,672    Replies: 4
"This has most definately been posted, but i tried to find it and no luck, but where is a place that i can order/buy parts for LED poi, or high power LED poi preconstructed. I want to ma..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,827    Replies: 13
"sorry I keep dragging this thread up again - BUT :I keep practising with pio in the back garden that look like this:""Fingers-string-weight-long tail""and i'm finding it quite hard. All..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,116    Replies: 5
"greetings, i think my subject header says it all, but i'll try to expand my question.i've really wanted to get some tailed poi that is uv reactive, but have not been able to find any th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,330    Replies: 3
"Hello,I've been eating fire for a year now. I've used Ultra pure lamp oil and Coleman white gas. Both work well. The question is, which fuel is the *least* toxic to use?I find that w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,730    Replies: 20
"Hey,I've been spinning for just a little while now (since Xmas), but have noticed that most people, when using poi at night go for either the glowsticking option, the fire option, or ha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,993    Replies: 4
"Is there any chance we could get RSS feeds working for the forums? I've seen a number of others provide RSS feeds for the latest posts in all, or selected topics. It'd be really nice to..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,872    Replies: 15
"K u guys... i have a show coming up and in the show i have a stage fire bowl... what can I throw into the bowl that will make the fire go poof... u know what i mean... when u throw som..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,857    Replies: 6
" Grahams 3D Guide Loreo 3Dcgi Or do a search Longshutter 3D looks sweet too"
Last Reply by
Views: 4,976    Replies: 32
" "...be careful to check the amount of wick used, kevlar is very expensive so some people try and cut corners. Use only paraffin. Dip them in paraffin after use and keep them damp in a ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,202    Replies: 17
"I have combed through BAZILLIONS of posts on ALL TYPES of fireheads, and it truely seems that monkey-fist knots are the way to go... People complain that they are too heavy, however, i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,609    Replies: 4
"Can't mail it really I'm afraid so collection from Sheffield only (sorry)I've recent'y developed some glow toys and I've got some polycarb left over from the early prototypes.Usually th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,610    Replies: 4
"i've just made a pair of new, heavy, thin-gripped contact staves. to save my wrists, I thought it'd be cool to have some kind of leather cuff. i know poi ppl have talked about this vis-..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,242    Replies: 2
"If there is anyone in Brisbane interested in purchasing new and unused kevlar in Brisbane at cost price (or less if you want a fair bit) let me know. Have had it for years and not twirl..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,843    Replies: 2
"I like to spin my poi at different lengths, and with standard chains and finger grips i have been having a diffucult time with changing the lengths mid-spin. So, i had an idea... get a ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,476    Replies: 17
"hey all....ok so i was just chatting to someone in the park who was selling poi and fire poi sets amongst other things, he seemed like a nice guy but i personally didnt like the sets he..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,547    Replies: 47
"alright.what do you spin on the end of your poi?why?what i'm trying to ascertain, you see, is the relative differences between, say, a monkey fist and a cathedral and a tube core fire h..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,057    Replies: 5
"alrightim about to put my order in for a tepooka stafftell me.. do you think 145mm wicks would be too big for a 1.3m staffor should i just go with 100mms?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,951    Replies: 14
"This is a daft(ish) over representation of a principal that could massively aid acrobatics / strange dance manouvres If looked into.Would work best with heavier, longer poi (more mommen..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,338    Replies: 8
"Hi.This is my first posting in this forum. Sorry for my bad english; I'm German... ;-)I began playing with a staff about three weeks ago.Last week I made my own staff. I't an aluminium ..."
Views: 3,382    Replies: 12
"I got myself into a corner here... i agreed to spin poi with my juggling group at a museum... fine i'm cool with that...BUTsomehow i have to relate it to science. The weekend is devoted..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter