Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 3,396    Replies: 1
"Hello,I am dancing with a fire levitation wand. the metal rod gets very hot after a dance, and I am interested in trying some new tricks that involve having the metal touch my body. Any..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,343    Replies: 1
"Hi folks! I have looked through the forum and tried to find a question on this... I am doing a performance in a couple of weeks time, but it is indoors. The director wants the poi to ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,340    Replies: 1
"Hello, I'm based in the UK and started fire-eating with hollow stemmed torches this week, could I get some advice on fuel please? I know white spirit is the go to but the white spirit i..."
Views: 3,735    Replies: 0
"Saw a photo of a bag poi... Im just now learning and am using a tennis ball attached to 650 paracord and I think I want to make something that hurts less when knocking oneself in the he..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,399    Replies: 3
"hello ive just ordered a set of Wolf's revenge 3 headed fire poi thought they looked fun anyone actually used multi headed poi before?what are they like to use? "
Last Reply by
Views: 5,206    Replies: 10
"Hey,I have been reading through a lot of messages about making LED poi's, but I was missing something... I was planning to maken strobe poi's (flickering at a rate around 20 Hz) ins..."
Last Reply by
Views: 51,973    Replies: 13
"any tips for cutting kevlar fabric/cloth? i recently ordered (actually it was a quirky gift from my mom... ) some of the 5 grm a yard kevlar fabric so i can experiment with some new to..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,187    Replies: 2
"Just recently purchased a pair of fire staffs, but i feel they may be a bit too long. theyre 3 feet 5-6inches and reach almost to my armpit if i hold the center. im a complete beginner ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 12,381    Replies: 2
"Hello everyone :) I have decided to do a personal review on two of the prominent graphic/visual pois on the market today in hope of helping artistes who are considering buying one of th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,087    Replies: 3
"Hi, I'm looking for knitted rope wick 3/8 inch (9.5mm) diameter and would be after a full roll (or at least 80meters). I've only found it from US sellers. Does any one have a lead on a ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,771    Replies: 23
"i recently purchased some new fire poi and lit them up last night for the first time. everything was goign well - nice big flames touching my hands camera was recording, i was ready to ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 13,309    Replies: 20
"I looked through the search engine and couldn't find anything on "fire gloves." So, sorry if this is a re-thread. I don't remember for certain what the site was off the top of my head, ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 105,382    Replies: 89
"Why Hello everyone in the Home of Poi world!!!HOP has been my home base for all my poi needs since I purchased my first pair here back in 2006 and began watching tutorials on this great..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,010    Replies: 7
"disclaimer: I don't work for flowtoys, and I don't know anyone from flowtoys personally. the problem: in an attempt to remove flowmass from one of my crystal cases, I made a stupid deci..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,259    Replies: 3
"This year is our local areas 4th annual Renaissance festival, and this year i will be taking part in the Gypsy encampment. not wanting to spend the weekend just hanging out looking cut..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,784    Replies: 1
"What is the practical difference to the two poi types? Does one make a bigger flame, move differently, etc...?I'm going to buy one in the next couple weeks, possibly tomorrow, and knowi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,197    Replies: 1
"So - I have an idea for a solo performance which includes me spinning with two short staffs and quite a bit of fire-breathing, at the same time. The problem is I don't have any idea on ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,126    Replies: 1
"Newbie Alert...?I was just sewing my wicks onto my new Elder Flame fire fans and broke my needle in half. What do I do? Can I use a larger sewing needle? Sorry- seems like a dumb questi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,417    Replies: 2
"Hey guys. I haven't found anything like this anywhere, so you are my last hope. Check out this video. http://vimeo.com/10924043 The effect I am looking to find is in 0:59 minutes. The t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 20,849    Replies: 12
"Tomorrow my dad is giving me his stock whip so I can learn to use it with the intention of eventually having a flaming one cracking. I would really like to make my own, as we did with o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,580    Replies: 2
"I like spinning my firepoi's but I need something heavy to use as a training. The gym isn't for me and I could use some extra muscles. Since playing with POI's uses a lot of muscles it ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 28,304    Replies: 21
"Hello HOP fans. I wanted to drop by and introduce you to our new LED glowsticks the Ultralight. The Ultralight is a modular LED glowstick with 4 RGB LEDs. It features independent con..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,211    Replies: 3
"Oddly I've google'd and searched this site, but haven't found anything. So, does anyone have advice/experience regarding prescription eyewear while doing fire poi? By prescription I mea..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,210    Replies: 2
"I was wondering if anyone can recommend pixel poi and hoops for performers I have looked at moodhoops future poi and hoops, a1 POI AND Spin FX. Ideally if I am buying from the USA I wo..."
Views: 2,621    Replies: 0
"I want to buy a set of Ninja poi. How are you supposed to recharge the AA? Go somewhere else and buy some kind of recharger? I'm in the USA, if that makes any difference in your answ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,938    Replies: 2
"Hey guys, I've been spinning poi for almost two years now, and think I am ready to move to fire poi. Which one would you recommend? Which fuel should I use? I read kerosene is good, is ..."
Views: 2,829    Replies: 0
"Hey everybody,I'm having this idea for a very long time now of combining fire spinning with contact moves. Is it possible or would I burn myself? Wraps do work without burning so one ca..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,014    Replies: 5
"A friend told me that he had seen some fire snakes that were tipped with monkey fist knots for sale online, but cannot remember where. I would very much like to own these! has anyone se..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,789    Replies: 1
"I have a set of cathedral heads on regular steel chain w/ leather fingerloops. I was looking to upgrade my chain to black oval-twists.But heres my question: Is it possible to affix PX3..."
Views: 2,955    Replies: 0
"Hi Guys,So, when it comes to my fire toys I'm definitely a DIY'er. I'm currently planning a build for a new staff, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for black anodized..."
Views: 2,408    Replies: 0
"I'm studying for my flame effects operators license in TX. (A requirement to be a fire performer for an audience larger than 50) I'm looking for a good chart with specific chemical inf..."
Views: 2,487    Replies: 0
"Hi there, so I'm new to fans and just purchased the medium lotus fans which are lovely but I'm realizing that they are a bit smaller than I'd like . Add to that they have a Russian grip..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,251    Replies: 1
"Hi,I've been having some issues with my aluminium staff getting too hot to touch. Are there any known remedies to this besides giving it a 15 minute rest?Thanks"
Last Reply by
Views: 19,957    Replies: 20
"Hey folks!I'm happy to see flowlights on hop! I bought a pair of Water II's just a few days before they went up in the hop shop (as far as I know) and i just wanted to share some inform..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,671    Replies: 1
"I used to use kerosene, but I ended up smelling like it all night whenever I used it. I switched to paraffin-based lamp oil, which doesn't really smell much. When I can't find paraffin,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,751    Replies: 2
"I've been practicing fire breathing with Cornstarch &lbr;dry fuel&rbr; but i saw a tub of 99% pure Paraffin at my local smart and final I know most of the dangers from fire breathing i...."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,311    Replies: 2
"Hello. I am trying to purchase a set of fire poi. Does anyone know of any place that sells fire poi that weigh less than 5.6 oz for each head? I know homeofpoi sells this weight but I w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,618    Replies: 4
"Hello :) Which contact poi heads are you using?I have the ones from Mr. Babache in 80mmbut i don't like them so much. Too heavy and hard."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,699    Replies: 1
"Hey Guys!I've been spinning poi for a good year and have gotten myself a good base of moves and techniques. Yet recently I have been interested in the idea of picking up contact staff,t..."
Views: 1,929    Replies: 0
"hello, I found this site while researching online and I feel like this community would have some good information.Well im trying to create some fire gloves for a costume. The only porti..."
Views: 2,288    Replies: 0
"Hi everyone,I've been spinning fire for about 8 years now and pretty iffy when it comes to quality gear, thus the question I pose to you for buying / making my new sets of fire poi.I've..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,470    Replies: 3
"So I have just made my first set of contact poi, and I'm wondering what a good weight for my PX3s would be so i can start learning contact moves with more ease(weight in number of washe..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,510    Replies: 1
"Hello. I'm a fairly new staff spinner that doesn't do any contact stuff (yet). So I ordered &lbr;url=http://www.trickconcepts.com/Collapsible-Fire-Staff-Standard-P1765C11.aspx&rbr;this ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,132    Replies: 3
"I'm looking to create a pair of custom flowlights. I currently have a pair of Flowlight Fires but I'm looking for something a bit more colorful. As far as I've read up on it though the ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,486    Replies: 1
"Evenin everyoneI just started spinning not too long ago, and while I love it, all the varying thickness of cords, ropes, chains, socks, etc have me confused. The photo below is the poi ..."
Views: 3,714    Replies: 0
"Hello,I have a fire levistick from gora fire gear (which is awesome ) however before I got to use it on fire the wire snapped.I've looked into buying a replacement from their website ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,015    Replies: 1
"Hello people,Does anyone know how to make a Flame Book?I would appreciate if you told me how to make one.Thanks,Makhno"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,645    Replies: 2
"Hey guys, I'm pretty new to poi (only been practicing a month now) and I ordered the chain with interchangeable led/cathedral heads and being in America that's a lot of money in shippin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,942    Replies: 1
"What are people using if anything to paint their fire staves. I did a quick look on the hop forum and some google searching but didn't come up with anything. I am fairly new to making f..."
Last Reply by
Views: 23,246    Replies: 10
"Tape qualities: Leather: Scratchy (painful) but very grippy. Hard to get. I use the suede side, the leather side might be alright too. Fire resistant. Shammy Leather: (Sports grip) Look..."
Page: ...

HOP Newsletter