Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 1,875    Replies: 3
"I recently bought one of the firetoys contact staffs, which is fantastic apart from the fact that the grip pulls out great chunks of my hair everytime I do neck rolls. Now I could reall..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,453    Replies: 10
"http://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails.php/264_55_Rainbow_LEDAnd i have these poi at the momenthttp://www.poipoi.info/shop/index.php?crn=1&rn=291&action=show_detailAnd her..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,580    Replies: 8
"hi everyonei just made a pair of cathedral poi, now i need to make myself some weighted handles for them.i've seen some posts about using wooden balls, but ive tried a pair of those at ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 17,775    Replies: 33
"Does anyone have a problem with ball chain getting rusty?We have never had any problem with chain, or cable and ive left mine in some of the most undesirable places for metal and never ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 13,159    Replies: 8
"I'm new and months away from being ready to light up, but I'm already pretty confused by the inconsistency of fuel safety information I find. The main fuel safety page linked to on the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,305    Replies: 12
"Will not burning all the fuel off your fire poi heads ruin or damage them in any way?I was doing a burn with some monkey fist poi and this was their first time being lit on fire. I soak..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,614    Replies: 13
"I.e is there a way of making my flame red or blue.was wondering about putting something like food coloring in the fuel, sounds stupid i know but has anyone else seen it or tried anythin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,721    Replies: 1
"My friend made us some of those fire orb things (I call them "poi orbs,") and used some pretty small gauge stainless steel wire. They work great, but unfortunately, even with very ging..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,428    Replies: 5
"I have heard tale of super bright led lights being used in glow/sock poi. I would love to get my hands on some of these!!! I saw a fellow at a burn this weekend who had some but i for..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,759    Replies: 9
"Hey guys!I am trying to do my own double pois and I was wondering, do you know what the distance should at least be between the handles and the first head? any ideas. If someone already..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,686    Replies: 4
"I bought a staff about 2 weeks ago or so, and have been spinning it. I have dropped it a few times, but nothing unusual, and two of the screws that hold the heads together have sheared ..."
Views: 2,038    Replies: 0
"I'm not sure this is the right forum as I dont post here often. Anyway I just moved to seattle from Oregon and was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the laws involving poi ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,413    Replies: 18
"im new to posting here, so hi everyone, and sorry for the boring content of this post!im sure this has already been posted somewhere, and i have looked, but couldnt find it!so......i ha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,803    Replies: 7
"Hi to all there my first time here in your world. I practice the poi since one year learnde it in Ecuador where i saw some crazy techniques and of course really talented people. I'm l..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,064    Replies: 8
"Does anyone know where I can get paraffin on tap in Manchester? I know one place in Glastonbury, which is fine when I'm visiting the hippies but I could do with finding somewhere in Ma..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,790    Replies: 5
"Afternoon all,I'm thinking of getting myself a PDA or Pocket PC some time soon so that I can re-program my HyperLights when I'm out at festivals 'n things. I need something with the fol..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,333    Replies: 2
"Is it possible to shorten ballchain? If so, is it difficult? By the way I mean shortening with pliers, not with wraps...Thanks"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,429    Replies: 19
"I am on a scout trip this week as a leader, and the scouts seem to be mesmorised by the fire poi. anyway i want them to have a go so i made my own. &lbr;not the fire tough&rbr;I have ma..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,016    Replies: 6
"So im in a bit of a pickle here....i am how we say in the sane world a MAN,and im having a bit of trouble getting my poi stuff togheter and obtaining my decencyabout 2 weeks ago i final..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,466    Replies: 5
" Hey guys i love playing with my poi but am wanting to get into fire breathing my friend has tried to teach me but hes not a teacher haha can anyone help me out Nick New Zealand "
Last Reply by
Views: 3,804    Replies: 11
"There have been a few posts recently about wicking and how it burns, so I wanted to quickly go over how wicks burn and the different factors that go into it.Volume and Surface AreaThere..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,017    Replies: 3
"these are the best chemicals to use...tried and true..i think i might have actually got it around this site, but i've tried them all and they all worked. Colour ChemicalCarmine Lithi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 15,961    Replies: 25
"Code128 asked me in another thread about white gas, which seems to be a US name for fuels with a low flashpoint and higher buring temperature than the kero and 440 special fuels I use h..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,605    Replies: 16
"For those of you who've built triple wickers- Assuming that you're wanting all the wicks to burn a similar length of time, have you found it necessary to make the wicks furthest from th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,235    Replies: 10
"Has anyone tried to spin using glowsticks hooked onto the end of the keyrings that have a retractable cable?I suddenly realised that they'd be brilliant as they'd never get tangled up w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,926    Replies: 22
"Any thoughts on what might happen if an unlit staff was thrown (in a burnoff fashion) into the flames of a lit staff doing a burnoff? Or evan just burning off two staff simultaneously? ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,051    Replies: 19
"There is always a bit of hassle involved with lighters or tea lights or matches or campfires or whatever else you might use to set light you your poi/staff etc.What I am proposing would..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,988    Replies: 15
"Hiya, Sorry if this has been asked before, But I am considering buying some fire poi of my very own due to becoming addicted to fire recently. Unfortunately I do not know what is safest..."
Views: 2,386    Replies: 0
"hi everyone, i live in hong kong (back from uni in UK for summer) and have only been able to find methylated spirits to spin with. seems to be alright, if a bit weak. i finally got my h..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,170    Replies: 17
"Now I know that there have been plenty of posts about dangers of fire breathing, and I have done a search etc here for fuels...but I was just wondering if anyone had come up with a good..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,006    Replies: 14
"recently during a science lesson we were burning vegtable oil and my friend made the mistake of splahing some water onto it the results were massive flames and i had an idea! what if yo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,229    Replies: 1
"So I've done a couple of fire sessions recently (i've finally managed to get the photos on the net (www.myspace.com/mepheisto) i only built the site today so don't judge me harshly! ) ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,556    Replies: 7
"this must be on here somewhere but just in case it isn't; get your lightballs, get some white socks (cheap asda ones do me fine 99p for 5 pairs!) put balls in ends, tie knot, away you g..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,972    Replies: 18
"How do you finish off a burn to make the wicks last longer? Are you suppose to dunk them in paraffin again and then squeeze them out or just leave them and not re-dunk?"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,139    Replies: 9
"Can anyone think of a sport that has similar movements to double staff spinning? eg. waving the arms all over, twisting alot and pumping hands open and closed? (yeah great description i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,972    Replies: 5
"Don't know if this has been posted here before, but it should be enshrined in everyone's bookmark list.International fuel name equivalents This is originally intended for backpacking st..."
Last Reply by
Views: 10,534    Replies: 40
"I read the v useful coloured-flame spinning FAQ which tells me all the things I need to know (thanks for that)I still have a problem though:Where do you actually buy this stuff?? I went..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,056    Replies: 2
"ok, so ive searched loads and cant find anything on this -Obviously poi and meteor both have different tricks / possibilities, but ive been thinking if there were a way to link your (lo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,411    Replies: 2
"I create a HWPFDocument out of an empty worddocument.But I cannot figure it how to create a new line/paragraph.I would really appreciate help.Thanks a lot."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,501    Replies: 8
"Which is more technical, spinning fire, socks or glowsticks? Im asking this because ive recently been using all of them (fire only a few times) and glowsticks can do different things t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,486    Replies: 12
"after playing with some k8 stuff and thinking to myself how nice it would be to actually own some for myself I had a browse on tinternet and for there site. I can't find an English vers..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,569    Replies: 6
"when making double or triple poi, do you need spinners above each wick? by spinners, i mean things that make the wicks rotate on their own instead of twisting the chain and/or unscrewin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,695    Replies: 1
"I'm sorry to post this a second time, but upon further inspection of the topic lists and categories, perhaps I posted in the wrong place, so I am wondering:I am relatively new to poi an..."
Views: 1,220    Replies: 0
"hey guys just a quick post i am in the middle of setting up a community circus for the kids in my area and all the kids seem to love myspace. so heres a link if people could just check ..."
Views: 2,665    Replies: 0
"Hi all, I've been buying staffs for about a year now and am spending to much hard earned money the things. The last one I brought was a custom made triple burner with 3x10cm icks on eac..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,434    Replies: 34
"so heres the thing, im pretty much always traveling and living out of a backpack, and ive gotten to the addiction point where i will not be able to live without my staff and i need one ..."
Views: 1,111    Replies: 0
"MOVED"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,165    Replies: 3
"Waht's the best stuff to make your own poi?I'm unemployed and can't afford any at the moment, but I'm desperate to start swinging.I tried with some string and couple of tennis balls a w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,489    Replies: 4
"I got bored of my poi and wanted something bit more dangrous, so i tied the handles together to make a chain staff. Not sure what is called but any stoping of your hands results in in..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,906    Replies: 2
"I am new to staff spining. I was curious on what size staff to buy since it will be my first time."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter