Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,617    Replies: 8
"Are there any specific moves that will help 'unlock' other moves. For example i have just tried moving my left arm forward not spinning the poi whilst my right arm moves backward with..."
Last Reply by
Views: 20,293    Replies: 53
"well, i got the idea from Tepooka Toys at PLAY, they had prototype fire poi made completely out of kevlar, it was basically a knot for a handle, and they wrapped kevlar around the botto..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,697    Replies: 14
"Hmmmm, wondering, would fire breathing using water instead of oil yield a cloud of steam or just put out your tool?And if it did create steam if you died the water or the fire would the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,675    Replies: 21
"Anybody else ever tried spinning while blindfolded?"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,212    Replies: 9
"Firstly hi again,In the scales of poi dvd what weights do you have in the orange socks and what socks are they? They look light enough to do wraps with but heavy enough to do isolation..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,530    Replies: 15
"I've done a durbs and found some stuff on EL wire, but the following question hasn't been answered:Q. Has anyone built a glow staff using EL wire yet?I want to try, but I thought I'd fi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,502    Replies: 15
"Okay, so I was at a fire spinning drum jam last night. There were some pretty good spinners there one thing I noticed is that they all stayed with one thing, be it either poi or staff o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,441    Replies: 12
"Is there anywhere in uk (or even better Leeds) where you can buy handmade sock poi? I used someones that they made and they were perfect. My textiles skills are pretty dire to say the ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,421    Replies: 6
"I had some green ones which are now knackered as theres big holes in the ends of them. I ordered some white ones and they are loads longer. I understand they stretch but i can stretch..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,789    Replies: 10
"This is the problem... I've bought these sock poi and filled them with balls made of rice inside a sock. The problem is that one of the pois are more bouncy and spinning differently com..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,915    Replies: 9
"It's times like these that I wish I had a scanner cause I've drawn many of prototypes for this. I'm thinking of making the poi itself be a gourd. Problem 1: It will grow lighter and lig..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,316    Replies: 6
"ok does anyone know if you can attach fire heads to glowstick poi chains?"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,489    Replies: 1
"I have been trying to find something that could make parts of my chain glow without affecting my tricks. While glow stringing I thought it would be nice to throw the glowsticks in the a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,248    Replies: 9
"Hey all, I think I'm ready for fire. I'm making my fire chains and a contact staff at the same time. I found some nice dog chokers at a pet store, and they come in different gauges..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,441    Replies: 14
"I stumbled across Hyperloop Poi the other day.Does anybody use these poi? I like the fact that they advertise a campartment to weight both ends of the poi. Any idea as to their prices?"
Last Reply by
Views: 21,172    Replies: 57
"Hi,I'm going to make some Cone Poi and was wondering if any one had any hints, tips or patterns, I have a rough idea of what I want to achive but anyones help would be much appriciated ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,422    Replies: 3
"Hey there, i've never done real poi before and I want to learn. I was wondering if anyone could help me out by letting my know which fabric set would be the best to begin with, and whic..."
Views: 5,310    Replies: 14
"I made a fire long staff using aluminum electrical piping from Home Depot, the dimensions were 19.05 mm diam x 1.6 mm. It's quite heavy as well. But recently, actually almost right aft..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,349    Replies: 3
"I just thought of the Idea of a LED Boomerang and it stuck. Would it even be possible for it to come back to you if you made one? hmm... What if you were to put the battery source carv..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,183    Replies: 3
"Just for fun tonight I took an old staff, one that was weighted towards the ends anyway, and two 4 foot wooden dowels and tried playing giant devil sticks. I lashed the dowels to my for..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,347    Replies: 8
"I've looked at many upon many directions for building my own LED poi. The problem is that I don't know which are the best. I want mine to be bright enough to see a beautiful stream of l..."
Last Reply by
Views: 23,416    Replies: 84
"...........What is the best camera you have used to take stunning poi photos in daytime, nightime and firetime?answers on a postcard. p.s. i did a durbs and came up with nothing.... "
Last Reply by
Views: 7,982    Replies: 5
"Ok, random question.I want to buy a big ass bike wheel. Like ideally about 60" - 72" (though I'll probably have to settle for one slightly smaller). Anyone have any idea where I'd get o..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,862    Replies: 10
"Basically I am a teacher (with fire experience) at a school and we are performing A Midsummer Night's Dream in our outdoor amphitheater. I am living in Istanbul and getting white gas i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,322    Replies: 10
"Does anyone know of anywhere in Joburg that sells kevlar rope? I really want to make myself a set of snake poi.... Or does anyone know of any other material i could use or anywhere that..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,225    Replies: 15
"hey guys. Ive currently got a standard bo staff, but was thinking. what if you took some sort of metal tubing, put some silicone tubing over it and added weights to the ends. this thing..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,603    Replies: 6
"Hey guys and girls,I've been working on some open source GUI software for programming glow toys (Hyperlights, Aerotechs etc. etc.) and I'm getting to the stage where I'd like to put wha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,694    Replies: 9
"I'm part of a bungee display team and am thinking of making a ring of fire to jump through. It'l be a metal frame, made up of a few sections that'll be detatchable from each other. At ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 18,233    Replies: 19
"Hello. I did about 6 searches, and also prowled about on Google - but I could find nothing!I was wondering if anyone has, in their years of spinning, found a way to easily carry their ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,829    Replies: 5
"hey folks. now that luxotica is out of commission cause of her baby, does anyone know where to buy kevlar wick and rope/thread in vancouver? i find it hard to believe she was the only s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,206    Replies: 7
"So, I have the Concentare Innercore contact staff. I know it doesn't come highly recommended but, for my purposes, a 3 piece staff is essential. I'm a relative newbie at the whole conta..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,248    Replies: 4
"For the blue flame, is is Copper (I) Chloride, or Copper (II) Chloride?Do the chemicals have to be reagent-level purity?Where can I get said chemical?Lastly, where can I get denatured a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,074    Replies: 5
"Ok - I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my poi...I just received them, one works great - but the other has a flickering light, and sometimes it just doesn't light up. I've repla..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,040    Replies: 1
"Well I bought some LED poi and they've been amazing, you get the idea. Then one day when I was practicing hyperloops the attachment ring (the part that lets the poi ball connect to the ..."
Views: 1,735    Replies: 0
"Hello folks!I want to build two new fire staff, one long and one short, made of fiberglass. below you can find a layout for them. I would like to have you ideas, thought, suggestion etc..."
Last Reply by
Views: 59,403    Replies: 296
"Little update for you all (thought I'd start a new thread as the last one was getting a bit big!!). I've been a busy bee tonight and I now have 4 pairs of the MK4 (dare I say final?) bo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,621    Replies: 12
"does anyone know any places online to order different chemicals for colored flames, specifically indium or potassium chloride. I'd kinda like some lithium chloride too, but I dont think..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,684    Replies: 6
"hi just got some fire rope( bring on the summer) was wondering how to attach the finger loops to 23mm. with the 10mm and 13mm I've used key rings. have quite a bit off 13mm- 6m in fact,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,253    Replies: 3
"Alright question.Has anyone heard any discussion or places to get a glow ball that runs off the spin of your poi, or something that you can use similar to the flashlight you shake to st..."
Views: 2,837    Replies: 0
"I have been spinning the HoP cathedral wicks for a few months now and they are a great set of poi, but I want to add something bigger and brighter to my arsenal. Also, some added weigh..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,465    Replies: 48
"This is a personal preference poll. What’s you favorite wick design and why?Cathedrals are my favorite wick design because of the flame intensity you get with them. I’m making a ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,584    Replies: 5
"ok guys!! For your staff, what is the best kind of grip?! What do you use? "
Last Reply by
Views: 6,906    Replies: 29
"Hi there.here is the poi configuration I am thinking of making.Grip - keyring-swivel-keyring-chain-keyring-swivel-keyring-wickI don't really trust keyrings tho, but they are the only th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,122    Replies: 5
"I saw a really interesting way to make poi this weekend, I need to get a pair to make myself but I thought id share, see if anyone else did them... but someone took the Oggz lights and ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,178    Replies: 7
"I don't have anyplace I can get Kevlar where I am but I can get Canvas, Cotton, Denim, and a few other things. So I was wondering If I can use Canvas as wicking for torches and how abou..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,857    Replies: 1
"Hey everyone. I'm looking to gettin a set of HoP monkey fist poi but i can't really decide whether to get th 2.5 inch or th 3.5 inch. I'm after havin big flames but am wondering about t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,198    Replies: 9
"has anyone bought these? if so are they worth the price, and how friggin big are the flames!? lol i imagine it would be well worth it, and i like heavy poi, i can see myself flinging ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,155    Replies: 14
"So i bought 10 ft of the 3/8ths inch kevlar rope, not actually THINKING about the dimension but rather "Oh it's the smallest dimension they have ok" I thought i could build a few torche..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,869    Replies: 12
"I'm interested in using a mask to conceal my face during my fire poi performances, but the problem is the only masks I own are not 100 percent cotton. They're mostly polyester, really. ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 50,341    Replies: 144
"Like quite a few of you I've been bitten by the LED bug, and while I've managed to create a few nice poi I would like to take if further. I've spent the last two days reading documenta..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter