Forums > Technical Discussion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 9,567    Replies: 46
"If you've been to Play or the last couple of Nuneaton meets, you've probably seen my previous prototypes in action.I've nearly completed the third set of prototypes, and I'll be taking ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,061    Replies: 12
"Bubbles!!!Amelie had the wonderfull idea of building toys that could spread bubbles around the place and i've been trying to think up some ways of doing this.The simplest solution is to..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,737    Replies: 8
"Idea taken from the playpoi video.Post pictures of your fire/led/practice poi here (and other toys)I'll get pics of mine tonight and post pics tomorrow"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,852    Replies: 2
"I bought a set of cathedral heads from luxotica, and they are pretty loose. When I make them I get them as tight as possible.Having them loose affects how much gas leaves the heads, ri..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,698    Replies: 4
" Is there any little 'trade secret' for videotaping poi in action? 'Cause I find that no matter how hard I try, it's always blurry. Some sort of setting? Or perhaps an angle? Any help w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,638    Replies: 29
"The next post contains an attempt to quote and reply to a post (from the buddhist thread)-"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,700    Replies: 12
"I am currently in the process of putting together a set of 3.5ft doubles staffs. Has anyone had any experience using kevlar rope for the wicking material? It would seem to me that the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,525    Replies: 17
"So last night I tried body tracing for the first time but it didnt work out too well. I just couldnt get a flame to stay on my body. I was using lamp oil as fuel which is what I blame..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,862    Replies: 41
"A Spinn-off bucket is a way to concerve oil, as well as protect the ground.It's basicly a paint can with a chain on the wire handle. After you have douced your poi or staffs, you put th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,553    Replies: 7
"soi have all of the materials i need to make a fire poi.the only problem im having is that my chain is too longits a stainless steel chain and its probably about 20 feet long. ive tried..."
Views: 1,624    Replies: 0
"I saw this on another forum. Dont spin anything heavy like fire poi unless you can spin with your eyes closed. You sort of have to feel the poi and know where they are going, rather t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,906    Replies: 2
"Name: AlbionThing: Spinning positive internet radiohttp://valur.us:8000Status: in progress..Tool of the trade: Icecast2######INTRO######All right, there become an idea about to create r..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,187    Replies: 8
"how do i get a color flame and where do i get the products to produce it???? "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,506    Replies: 15
"Ok, here's the deal. I have two 4ft staves made from seemingly good hard wood. Fact is one has allready cracked on the end from throws. I think I've heard using wood glue is good for st..."
Views: 1,392    Replies: 0
"MOVED"
Last Reply by
Views: 9,287    Replies: 43
"At long last, I've got a signup page working! It's not as pretty as it could be, but in all honesty, I have other things that are more important to focus on (like some shiny toys for ex..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,883    Replies: 4
"Did anyone watch the new series of Shameless last night. It was one where they made a fake beach on the estate. There was someone spinning poi at night that were quite big and fairly b..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,475    Replies: 42
"So as everybody upon everybody knows, (pobbles are happiest without their toes) some dude connect up a digital compass to a bunch of vibration packs on a belt. So that he would feel a v..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,833    Replies: 6
"Fairly recently I had a fire poi accident. It came as a total suprise to me since I have been on fire before and burned. It had never really been that bad I have had someone put out my ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,616    Replies: 19
"I have recently started practicing with my fire poi more and am finding it quite hard to get used to.They are monkey fists with oval links and leather handles. When i spin i cant stop ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,341    Replies: 8
"I'm thinking of picking up a pair of glow poi, and I'm stuck between my two favorite options. the glow balls:http://flammaaeterna.com/fire/fireshop_POILUB.htmand the atoms:http://flamm..."
Views: 2,190    Replies: 10
"I read alot about fuel on this forum but i didn't find anything about alcool based fuel.Its around 95% Ethanol + 5% Methanol, basicly its the fuel you use for fondue.I saw on another po..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,769    Replies: 6
"I had an idea and it worked!I'd been having trouble catching poi once I'd trown them. I'm a resonable juggler so I thought it probably wasn't my fault. So I replaced the handles with la..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,192    Replies: 46
"Recently I was asked to spin staff at a student party. It was in a college main hall, so was big enough to do stuff in (including throws! Yay for high ceilings!).Thing was, I only have ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,510    Replies: 3
"Lycopodium is a chemical powder that can be found on Skylighter and feuershow.de. It ignites when shot through an existing fire or I would imagion fire put onto an existing pile of lyco..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,282    Replies: 9
"Hello everyone,Well after doing a fair bit of reashearch ive decided to go ahead an try to make myself a **undoutably barbaric** set of led glow sticks Ive found out where i can get all..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,292    Replies: 4
"Found these the other day:http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/fire_swords.html"...each of the swords are made from 1.5m of 50mm wick wrapped around a fibreglass core. The padded handles ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,321    Replies: 35
"i work at a marina and the boats are required to have these hardcore signal flares on board. almost exactly like the ones you see on the road around car accidents but brighter. so i was..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,817    Replies: 2
"HiIm a poi man but friend has a staff and its also a lot of fun and ive decided that i want one, but cant afford it (im a student and it would mean not eating for a few weeks ) So ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,034    Replies: 4
"My pendant arrived and its nice (thanks hop, nick and alex) What is the best way of securing it? Obviously if you tie a knot in it it leaves the string dangling and looks a bit crap. ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,598    Replies: 6
"I reacently spun my monkey fist poi that have leather handles. After the spin i put them back into kero like normal but then forgot about them and someone put the handles in the kero w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,673    Replies: 3
"I recently tried walking over a 2M pit of burning coals about 60cm wide and 15cm thick with only about 15 tiny red unblistered spots under 3mm diameter per foot after between 20 and 30 ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,176    Replies: 6
"Im off travelling in Jan and will be taking my sock poi and hyperlights with me.Will I be ok taking monkey fist poi with me and will it be easy enough to find fuel to spin with in thail..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,607    Replies: 5
"Hallo!I have a problem One of my cathedral heads of this poi set: cathedral poiset opend up.So i want to ask if somebody knows how they are built up. I was doing ttn (aktually i was lea..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,614    Replies: 6
"Well its very risky.its also dagerous to you and your crowd.if you ask any pyrotechinitan that activates chemical fireballs that are coloured.Ask him how many dead birds has he seen die..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,255    Replies: 11
"Ive come to the conclusion that ripstop nylon is a bad material for tail poi. Its stiff and rather offputting when it hits together. Does anyone know any shops that sell tail poi with a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,775    Replies: 18
"I love my new staff, but being a total novice to it, I do tend to drop it on occasion. I have a 60" aluminum tube (7/8" diameter) with 24" of dowel wedged into each end. This is leavi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,193    Replies: 11
"Could anybody suggest a type of dance to learn so I can display my fullest emotion in my performances.Thank ya`ll------------------peace, love and light*TOUCH*"
Last Reply by
Views: 11,708    Replies: 35
"Hellloooo some of you may know the nice subtle sparky effect that Titanium flake can give your poi.What I want to know is this:What mesh size is best and which company do you get your ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,065    Replies: 5
"My long time friend has been wonder how to go about making a cheap glostaff. I told him to look for clear PVC pipe (which I don't even know if it exststs or where to get it.) then just ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,297    Replies: 4
"I usually find HOP prices to be FAIRLY reasonable, which is why I usually buy from here. When I got an email the other day saying they would have Death Star heads within a week, I figur..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,160    Replies: 6
"...is there any way to get an RSS feed my 'favourite' threads? I know you can get feeds from the various other parts of the forum, but it'd be nice if I could get a feed of just my favo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,176    Replies: 4
"hi there peopleI been tempted by jugglo atom poibut cant choose which versionstrobe, colour change, colour fade?does anyone have any experience of atom poi, any links to show me what th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,639    Replies: 10
"What non stretchy white material or things can you think of that i could use to put poi in? Ive been and bought a metre of white material for £1 and stitched it up the side then knotte..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,979    Replies: 4
"What would be the best way to attatch cords to my glow poi? at the moment theres just a light inside the outer plastic/rubbery shell.If I put a couple of holes in then im guessing ligh..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,484    Replies: 12
"Anyone know of anything like an anti burn paste/cream or gel that can be applied to the skin to prevent/reduce burns. E.g. Smear it all over your hand, dip the hand in fuel (being extre..."
Views: 7,371    Replies: 4
"Howdy all. Now, I know this looks like another monkey fist thread, but I feel like mine is tad different. Correct me if i'm wrong Your welcome to skip the next part and just look at t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,393    Replies: 12
"good morning again!!!Last days I've seen some videos from one fire perfomance group. ( palitichi).In theis shows, every time the poi show to his or her arm o body make a kind of explosi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,368    Replies: 1
"Hi there all,I'd like to discuss a spinning visualiation, because I din't finda suitable tool yet.----------------------------------------------------------------------Here is a slight ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,110    Replies: 1
"They arrived and ive been playing with them quite a bit. I got 3 with the charging station for £23.50 and free delivery from Ministry Of Gadgets. The charging station and they way th..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter