Page:
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 3,449    Replies: 4
" Contact improvisation (dance) anyone heard of it? "
Last Reply by
Views: 4,886    Replies: 9
"Over the past nine months or so I have been travelling. With me I have been carrying a blazelink break down glow staff. It has served me well and been ideal for doing what it says on th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,335    Replies: 7
"Hello fellow fire performers! My name is Dusty Bacon, I have been fire performing with Controlled Burn/ Shiva Vista and other Reno/Tahoe groups for several burns now and recently start..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,318    Replies: 19
"I would like to learn poi and would like to do shows and performances. If you are a poi artist pls let me know how you how long it took you. Thanks"
Last Reply by
Views: 45,367    Replies: 93
"i am not that keen on the dance scene but poi does look good along to music. does any of you guys spin along to rock music eg, rage against the machine, the red hot chili peppers, etc.i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,940    Replies: 1
"Hey Hoppers. My girlfriend is looking for an instructional belly dancing video and I was hoping someone out there has a favorite. I was looking around and was only finding poorly made..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,879    Replies: 1
"To this song! I imagine a couple(perhaps my girlfriend and I someday?) With interlocking eyes and swirls of fire surrounding their bodies. Together as one, forever and always. Wh..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,460    Replies: 19
"I have been struggling now to correct my terrible posture now for a few years and don't seem to be getting very far at all.I tend to slouch with my head, should and upper back rolling f..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,150    Replies: 6
"So I've been working a lot on body movement recently. I've improved a lot with poi and doubles, but I can't seem to figure out how to move well with contact staff. Any movement that's s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,847    Replies: 8
"Hey all I just started spinning this august and I think ive learned enough moves to start stitching them together (about 35 or so). Nothing too crazy, but some of the stuff at least loo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,638    Replies: 8
"Helloooo there! So I'm about to join up with a fire troupe as a performer and a costume designer, I was just wondering what kind of fabrics ya'll would suggest that would be safe to use..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,841    Replies: 4
"Which is the est Flow toy for performance"
Last Reply by
Views: 47,161    Replies: 21
" This concept of planes is taken from movement theory and I use it as a foundation for my understanding of all the object manipulation arts.Some terminology:A sagittal (wheel) plane is ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,165    Replies: 18
"So here we are - welcome to Century 21... Acrobatics + Capoeira + Breakdance = TrickingTricking + Staff/ Poi = ?? ?? "
Last Reply by
Views: 8,801    Replies: 10
"Would sewing reflective tape be an effective way to keep tape on clothing yet being able to machine wash them or is there a proper alternative to reflective tape that you can sew on?"
Last Reply by
Views: 8,525    Replies: 26
"Hello all,I'm interested in everyone's fire poi experiences in front of an audience, I've noticed that very complicated movements quite often go unappreciated by the average audience, w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,200    Replies: 2
"For the last week or two I've been training balancing on one foot then working that into poi, and it's starting to pay off pretty well.I mean, I've been training 1 foot balance casually..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,702    Replies: 12
"So i was at a party last night poi dancing as i usually do, and this morning i was talking with one of my friends and he said that when i spin i have a very smooth classic style that al..."
Last Reply by
Views: 21,814    Replies: 44
"Okay so hopefully this is the right forum and right place to discuss this. I searched and couldn't find a thread specifically on the how to's of choreographing a routine.In the past I ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,022    Replies: 4
"ok so here's the story...I've entered into a local "got talent" kind of talent show and made it through the first round doing poi. So ive been told that i will need to do up t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,881    Replies: 17
"The theme for 2009 BM is evolution. I can't think of any costume ideas!I was thinking I could have one costume where I dress toe to head and the costume changes as you go up. Like the e..."
Last Reply by
Views: 14,891    Replies: 41
"This thread is a discussion on the pro's and cons of using a character for public peforming rather then just being yourself.Im not to familar with theater so Im not sure if that's the r..."
Last Reply by
Views: 26,448    Replies: 49
"Hi there.What makes poi beautiful when spinning? This is just me being curious so no special reason I´m asking this question.If you are a person that don´t like poi and can´t see wha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,310    Replies: 6
"I had a bit playa with footwork and here are basic steps:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------STANCEWheel stance with legs close to each other wi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 10,848    Replies: 38
"Meg's Academy of How to Move Good and Do Other Things Good Too. So back in the day I asked Drew what 'style' was. In our conversation, it came to be negatively defined. It wasn't a list..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,967    Replies: 7
"So I have been doing poi for almost a month now. I am fairly good, the only things I really have a problem with is anything behind the back, and SOME complicated high reels. But I have ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,749    Replies: 13
"Hi everyone!I've got my first fire performance coming up in about a months time at a school formal. I'll be outside doin my stuff as everyone is walking in. So, what music would everyon..."
Views: 6,117    Replies: 0
"MOVED"
Last Reply by
Views: 4,662    Replies: 9
"I hope this belongs in this forum, because it has to do with choreography. So anyways, I just got back from a pretty interesting 'freestyle' session. When just practicing, especially wi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,171    Replies: 4
"I've been asked to perform at a luau, and I wondered if anybody had some advice as what music would be appropriate. I'd like it to have a Hawaiian theme but more than just drums, which..."
Last Reply by
Views: 52,814    Replies: 97
"Please forgive me but this is a bit of a rant. But everytime I hear any of these used for a performance I go crazy. Literally. I start chewing on chairs and strangling my imaginary frie..."
Last Reply by
Views: 29,571    Replies: 66
"First post! Yay!Anyways, a question to kick off the new board:Do you draw from a style of dance or martial art when you fire twirl? Did either of the two disciplines lead you to fire tw..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,180    Replies: 4
"Something I started thinking about recently:when doing certain moves, I tend to hold my breath: for example, going for the first under arm part of the matrix.What I then tried to do was..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,749    Replies: 11
"I came across a line of PVC clothing recently, but I am concerned as to it's "flamability".... I remember reading previous postings regarding how easy various materials catch fire/maint..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,074    Replies: 3
"Anyone got any advice of how to do clowning?"
Last Reply by
Views: 5,681    Replies: 17
"Most of the people I see do fire fans seem to incorperate a belly dancing style, but i am wondering, what else could you use as your base? Any thoughts? My dance skills are a little i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,372    Replies: 9
"I have been asked to spin fire at a roller disco event in Leeds and thought it might be fun.The only problem is I am not that great at roller skating. I can spin poi whilst walking or ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 17,540    Replies: 38
"I have noticed recently in my area that new poi spinners are about as common as...erm...a really common thing, i also noticed that many of the new up and commers are learning from what..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,316    Replies: 2
"Just incase anyone is interested, I have listed this auction this morning on ebay for a remnant slight seconds piece of awesome fire printed 100% cotton fabric which could be used for p..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,505    Replies: 4
"The problem is that using kerosene is producing a lot of smoke and smell. Is there a particular fuel that can be used that is less problematic but still effective?any ideas are welcome!..."
Last Reply by
Views: 30,486    Replies: 82
"Following on from Meg's dance vs tech vs movement thread, this arose as a seperate issue which to save her thread being dragged off topic, I thought I'd create a spin-off discussionSo, ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 22,971    Replies: 54
"Quote Wikipedia:&lbr;Quote&rbr;Popping (a.k.a. hitting) is a funk dance and street dance style based on the technique of quickly contracting and relaxing muscles to cause a jerk in the ..."
Views: 3,064    Replies: 0
"MOVED"
Last Reply by
Views: 17,857    Replies: 36
"Wanta improve your footwork, but find all that dance jargon gets in the way? Then, I was thinking if we pooled our dance tips then it might make it easier to visualise some of the danc..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,020    Replies: 20
"Hey All,If you could go to a festival where the main focus were dance and movement - what kinds of things would you like to learn? Also - would it be worth it to you to pay a lot more t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 15,852    Replies: 35
"Right now I hold metres over metres of beautiful fabric for costumes...Whereas some will just end up in (skin-tight) overalls, some desperately wants to be converted into opulent costum..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,594    Replies: 7
"i posted this about an hour ago, and for some reason it's not up anymore. so i'm going to post it again.i need some tips on how to liquid dance. can you some people give me some beggi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 17,435    Replies: 46
"I have been getting into making a lot of circus/ spinning costuming of late and I was thinking that there must be some other hoppers that do this kind of thing as well. I know there hav..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,752    Replies: 15
"So over the weekend I had 2 re-enactment events to attend. It was a busy weekend but I managed on sunday to catch a fire Poi demo at the second event. The performers started out with pr..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,988    Replies: 8
"The description of this forum reminds me of this clip. The relevant bit is one minute in.ta. Petey."
Page:

HOP Newsletter