Forums > Beginner Poi Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 5,120    Replies: 21
"Hey.Righty-ho,my first HOP topic... -nervous-.Well, I'm a poi beginner.I started off by accident , in a child's workshop (I don't think the poi were suposed to be out, haha), and can d..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,560    Replies: 25
"I have looked at the existing threads, and also at the video on poipoi.info, and I just can't get a hip reel to save my life. I can do the two arms separately with no problems - I can ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,986    Replies: 8
"(I apologize if this is the wrong section to post in.)Hey guys!I wanted to ask if you thought this was a good idea. I had the day off today and felt kind of lazy yet bored so I started ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,359    Replies: 16
"Apologies if this has been posted before, but I'm curious how long it took those of you who incorporate dance or some form of artistry in your poi spinning to start moving about with th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 67,562    Replies: 165
"Hiya people!! This is my first thread in this Forums, and I thought this subject should be in here. If that isn't the case, I'm really sorry and please correct me *Gives fire staff* ha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,922    Replies: 49
"Hi, thanks for looking. So i decided to get back in to poi after finding my strings the other night. so far in about 8 hours ive gotten the butterfly, 3 beat weave, low turn and my ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,569    Replies: 3
"HelloDid a search and couldn't find anything relavent to my question, but it could be a terminology issue, to which I would apologize for.Quick question, I am practicing "counter spinni..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,270    Replies: 3
"How does everyone get there poi moving? Personally I start with a horizontal spin above my head with my right hand then do a wrap to get the left poi moving. Then I go into a few cros..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,351    Replies: 6
"I have recently learned my first move which is the 2 Beat Weave, nice and simple to start with (although not without being smacked with poi in certain places).I am fine with my right ha..."
Views: 1,761    Replies: 0
"This is following off the back of discussion here and is AlienJon's idea.Hijacked ThreadI do not have too much to add to that, except that the idea of having a list of moves/move famili..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,138    Replies: 1
"hello, im marina from argentina and i began to do swing a month before, i have these http://www.mercadolibre.com.ve/jm/img?s=MLV&f=7962689_426.jpg&v=P we call'em antorchas and i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 77,661    Replies: 197
"once upon a time, when my horizons were small, and the total number of members on hop was less than my currrent member number(aaah the good old days when i went by mineiro ), i harbour..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,233    Replies: 3
"Howdy!I'm a little confused as to what I'm doing wrong with the butterfly, now I can get it going and do moves with it, but I am constantly moving in an anti-clockwise direction, every ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,690    Replies: 13
"So I started out my day deciding I was going to learn fountains. I get the whole FWD 3 bt.>Windmill>REV 3 bt. and back again concept but I still can't wrap my head around it. Pl..."
Last Reply by
Views: 10,733    Replies: 20
"hellooo...okay i can do the fwd weave n btb weave but when i try n do the 5 beat weave...my body wont let me....my hands fuck off over to the other side so i can only do the normal weav..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,789    Replies: 13
"hey all just started playing with this 2 sets of poi one set each hand... came rather natural for me.. single handed was always a breeze (weave, cages or butterfly etc) so while spinnin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,036    Replies: 10
"Hello everyone! I saw this move on the beginner section but I can't really understand what it is...It looks like a crosser or a "double" tuck turn but I'm not sure and I can't really un..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,985    Replies: 7
"I'm having troubles figuring out the low and high turns . I've watched the tutorials multiple times but I still can't figure it out. I only started poi spinning a few days ago . All ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 50,520    Replies: 137
"*edit* Going on the idea that it would be good to have all of the beginner style questions in one very informative place.If you have any questions about beginner poi moves and you don't..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,795    Replies: 15
"my laft hand isnt as supple as my right ...which means it dosent go round enough to make my 3 and 5 beat weave equal on both sides which make it look like i really dont know what im doi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,047    Replies: 17
"Well, I checked out the other threads about the low wave, none of them helped. Specifically-When you turn your body while spinning one poi, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do wi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,465    Replies: 10
"Hey all. Im having difficulty with my flowers. i just cant seem to get the individual hand movements sorted. was wondering if there were any exercises worth doing to build up my ambidex..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,429    Replies: 8
"hey guys, i just started spinning poi i'd say about two weeks ago.. im gettin pretty good pretty quick. im very good with 3 and five beat weaves, 3 beat reverse weaves, orbitals from 3 ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,948    Replies: 8
"On the off chance that this doesn't have a name already, i thought i'd get one in there quickly for the badgers. Perhaps then they will stop following me when i'm drunk! You need to..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,535    Replies: 10
"only way i can describe this one is after two hours smoking and poiing with my much-abused and long-suffering apprentice/master druit is the incredible, the almighty, never seen before...."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,206    Replies: 7
"the poi tangle. just dont untangle.. no matter how hard i try!...ive tryed relaxing more.. like not pulling them apart, ive tried spinning faster.. yet somehow.. i just cant get the jis..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,226    Replies: 3
"i tought myself how to do weave , butterfly, giant butterfly and alternate butterfly...but somehow i just can't do the reverse weave! i mean, i keep hurting myself over and over again....."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,295    Replies: 27
"I'm just trying to guage how many of the beginner spinners use the library.Reason being is that I was thinking of putting up a series of tutorial Videos for "medium difficulty moves".Th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,598    Replies: 18
"I've been practicing poi for about a year, and doing a bit of glow stringing.I've not been doing a whole lot of practice lately but want to start doing more, and I really want to start ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,455    Replies: 4
"I just got my poi a few days ago in the mail. They are the beginner fuzzy poi that are light and have a foam core. I am glad that I got the foam ones, or I would have a shiner right now..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,755    Replies: 18
"Right i have the reverse 3 beat but i cant seem to do the reverse 4 and 5 beats, whenever i lock my hands in to take them over the other side they seem to tangle up the poi! please help..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,650    Replies: 2
"I know this has probably been posted before but I'm bringin' it back like sexy 'cause I'm new here and am having some issues. I can't seem to figure out how to "tuck" it, I just keep h..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,533    Replies: 10
"Okay, quick back story. My girl friend is a dancer. Theater and stage dancer. She has never actually seen me spin but has seen poi in Hawaii. She would make the sexiest spinner ever..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,911    Replies: 16
"i learned most of my moves thru glowstringing and until my poi get in will continue to use them. this is my issue. i have read post by other members who down talk about glowstringing. i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,951    Replies: 4
"Ive been playing around with these (and all hyperloops, atm) but my question to the board is... has anyone managed to get in and out of one by going from bottom to top. As when I do the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,522    Replies: 6
"Hi, as the title...I am new to fire poi. "
Last Reply by
Views: 6,056    Replies: 25
"PoiBoxII/Andy emailed this text to me recently and asked me to post it up here - as his local internet cafes are not being cooperative! I think it's a really lovely way to consider spin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 10,730    Replies: 33
"ok, this is beggining to piss me off.I personally dont think fountain is:weave/corkscrew/revweave,more:weave/corsckrew/weave/revcorkscrew/weave (as described on the fountain thread)Howe..."
Last Reply by
Views: 6,509    Replies: 15
"Could anyone be so kind as to clarify the threading the needle poi move? I can't get a grip on how it's done, or even reallly what it looks like!I find it hard to visualise off that gi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,614    Replies: 58
"Hello everyone! I looked for videos\tutorial regarding WW but I found only two videos by someone (sorry, forgot your name :P) and i can't see them, dont know why though. Is there any tu..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,502    Replies: 20
"Ok, apparently I play with throws a lil too much...I was just in the other room playing with my anti-spin throws and through multiple screw ups, I found that you can throw your poi hori..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,929    Replies: 11
"I havent seen this before so thought i'd share itits a 16 beat fountain in the wall plane - by adding an extra twist (like that in the 5-weave) at each of the transitions from behind me..."
Last Reply by
Views: 9,438    Replies: 25
"Hmm... got down my forward 5B and now it feels natural, amazing how (for lack of a better word lol) *goofY* it feels when you first get it, and then it becomes fluid after time. And i f..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,468    Replies: 22
"Which Poi Weight do you Prefer?After watching COL4 Their are a lot of different weights of Poi the artists are using.What would you Prefer? "
Last Reply by
Views: 1,823    Replies: 4
"I know theres loads of threads on these but i dont understand any of them really or the pictures/videos.I was practicing btb weave and meltdowns yesterday and sort of did a btb weave bu..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,040    Replies: 7
"I've had poi for about a month now. I can do a butterfly, alternate butterfly, big butterfly, Mexican weave, and a three beat weave, and a three beat weave over the head.Am I doing any ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,377    Replies: 3
"I'm not fully sure this is what this move is called. I think it's a funny walk...where your start from either the front or the back, bring the poi between your legs and then back out ag..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,410    Replies: 21
"hi all, thanks for looking. I started making my poi's last night (double loop made from hockey skate laces) so far ive gotten spinning (nothing behind the back yet) and a basic butter..."
Last Reply by
Views: 13,888    Replies: 30
"Hey I was curious on how people with their own styles hold their poi?"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,874    Replies: 3
"Well, I'm entirely new to poi other than the fact it exists, and catches my interest. I was thinking of purchasing a starter kit, but I was wondering, for a beginner what would be the b..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter