Forums > Beginner Poi Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,495    Replies: 4
"Alright it's kinda hard to count beats by myself, but i think it's up there around nine..and it's not really a new more than it is a combination of some types of moves. Start of doing s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,597    Replies: 3
"I just recently starting spinning and have since gotten totally addicted to it. I've managed to pick up all the basics and I now use the weave as my 'base' move. Cool thing is that I ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,902    Replies: 5
"Playing around earlier tonight I was doing crosses and did something that feels/looks neat, but I dunno if it has a name, or even really deserves one. Also what is a double cross-over?..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,284    Replies: 1
"i'm having trouble with this move. i don't understand how you can do this by swinging backwards. can someone explain a little more clearly than how it is in the lesson guide?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,690    Replies: 15
"what will u do?"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,978    Replies: 6
"What up all, I'm Eric. I think our minds were built and are maintained by our love for poi. I say this because, and stop me if this hasn't happened to you, every time I learn a new mo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,044    Replies: 6
"I don't really know what propted me to do this, but i got ahold of a large (like 7 ft) pretty heavy chain, weighted the ends and started spinning it. Its kinda fun, really adds variety..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,417    Replies: 1
"So the Martian and I were just twirling and she finally figured out the 5-beat weave, she ran over to the comp where I was typing and damn near tackled me, screaming something to the ef..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,381    Replies: 1
"So far I have seen a few different styles of equal in skill, just one uses all 5 beat weaves and the other uses 3 beats. I myself just started consistanty using 5 beats for everything, ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,071    Replies: 7
"recently i was on fire and feeling cocky i decided to try a new move.... the result was a rather lucky escape as the staff almost hit me in the eye, but put a reasnable gash in my eyebr..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,565    Replies: 5
"Easier to pull off than with a local Burnley clampit.....but with more wit and humour.O.K1. forward swing as if you're going to do the low turn2. On the downswing, spread ya legs apart ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,834    Replies: 3
"i just wanted to let you all know that i just nailed the koolest move last night!!! you know how in the lessons part of this web page there's the one part where people (us) write in to ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,522    Replies: 16
"Alright, so this one sounds like it is going to be interesting to learn. Forward thread the needle, no problem, almost boring...I cant quite visualize the reverse... do you push from un..."
Views: 2,513    Replies: 0
"This one isnt that spectacular, but i thought i would tell you all about it anyway.To do an upside down windmill, use short strings, then do a corkscew in front of your body. Then, star..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,842    Replies: 13
"Hey everyone!I'm trying to clear my mind so I can do some work...anyhow - I'm wondering if you guys can tell me how you develop new transitions between moves? I'm pretty comfortable wit..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,896    Replies: 33
"what up, ya'lli want 2 know: what is ur newest move??? the one that u just learned.The TRUE Super Saiyajin,SsJ KaKaRoTtO"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,187    Replies: 6
"Hey, what move makes trailers like around "home" in the home of poi logo? I've seen it done before, and seen pics of it, and i might able to do it, but since i can't see myself i'm not..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,604    Replies: 2
"Hey Supes, I heard you mention this one in another thread not too long ago. I need some help breaking this one down. So youre doing the horizontal Mexican Wave, I got that. The poi are ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,412    Replies: 2
"Alright, funny all the talk on the butterflies has been going on. Ive been experimenting and coming up with some tight stuff.Alright, start of by a forward butterfly right?Next do split..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,644    Replies: 5
"does anyone out there do single poi? I do but I must use a lot of wraps and fancy moves to make it look good."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,895    Replies: 5
"In the topic about style, someone mentioned stalls a few times. I tried doing a search of the boards but couldn't find more info. I may already know what these are under another name, b..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,881    Replies: 1
"I was trying to incorporate my legs into my swinging, and i came up with a turn. I'm a lefty so it might be easier for others to try with their right hand/leg, but it's like this: start..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,818    Replies: 14
"I've found a nice combo using some stuff behind the back, start with a normal weave, then pull it up into one beat of a windmill, then as you bring it back down, do a 180 degree turn an..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,320    Replies: 12
"forward butterfly..bring it up over your head into a horizontal butterfly (still in standard time) then drop it into a horizontal mexican wave..pretty simple..i have never tried tocombo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,056    Replies: 3
"these last few days or so, we have been really intrerchanging some great information. I have learned three new combonations in a week with all this brainstorming going on...lets keep it..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,525    Replies: 9
"okay ive been using showlaces and glowsticks for a while now the round kinds. i saw a video the other day and he was using some sorta thin string which looked alot easier to swing and ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,376    Replies: 5
"i absoutily LOVE the weave it is sooo easy and is my base move. and recently i was playing around and came up with the idea of a 'box weave'. basicilaay i cannot do it yet but... hopefu..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,033    Replies: 5
"Sup peoples!Dont try this one, it hurts. I finally managed to get the BTB weave, at the expense of my eyes and forehead .I began on my left, and when I swung over to my right, BLAM! po..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,666    Replies: 6
"Okay, it's not hard to go from a regular butterfly to a fwd weave, so I reasoned it should be possible to go from a btb butterfly to a btb fwd weave.It is.Start doing a standard inward ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,033    Replies: 10
"Check it..pretty basic, but im listing it with hopes to ignite something in some of you new comers to POI. i know when i started i didnt even know how to be creative. I formed my new mo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,965    Replies: 3
"Is there a video in which a wrap is being done? I wanna learn one but have never seen it and think that would help. Anyone? What exactly is being done? Thanks."
Views: 3,020    Replies: 0
"YAY! I've been doing btb weaves for a while, but i pulled one off with fire for the first time last night. I'm all excited and whatnot, just thought i'd share. Now on to backwards bt..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,760    Replies: 13
"Hey everybody, I just learned about this site and am really psyched about it. I wish I'd known it existed earlier... So I lent my poi to this random martial arts dude for a few minutes..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,329    Replies: 11
"All this talk about neck wraps and arm wraps has got me trying them lately and i finally have a small series of them down...pretty basic, but i am excited so bear with me..Forward butte..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,829    Replies: 2
"Alright not sure if anyone else does this, but i was twirling the other day and found an interesting wrap..weave wrap. okay if you're doing a 3 beat weave, when your left hand is doing ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,290    Replies: 7
"I was just pondering...I havent pushed myself far enough to learn the 4/5 beat weave, and am currently making poi that are shorter so i can try the trip/quad corkscrew. I was thinking t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,082    Replies: 3
"Man i love all the info on this site, its wicked!I was wondering if any of you could compile your five top tips for performing and/or practicing.Check out mine under new moves, 'its not..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,936    Replies: 5
"I am so struggling. Looking at the video on the windmill I dont have any idea how it is possible. It looks like in so many places that the strings would cross over and tangle. I read th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,802    Replies: 3
"i posted this in another thread, but i want everyones feedback on it....immediately after doing it , i dubbed it "dead man's wave"..because of thRevBF...low wave right Poi behind back a..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,748    Replies: 3
"I love doing glowsticks, and i have put all effort i could to learn all of the moves i found on this website. Well, i learned like 90% of these. However, when i look at the video's from..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,117    Replies: 4
"i did this last night at a club..The best way i can think to explain what this looks like is...1/2 of a forward giant butterfly in split time...sort of.while swinging forward in split t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,970    Replies: 4
"Ok (N8 gasps for air) This weekend I did this awesome doubles move. The Martian and I were in her buddie's room listening to (The Master) Paul Oakenfold and we did this really cool tr..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,795    Replies: 2
"well for those of you who like wraps.....i just did a butterfly and on the down swing stick your leg out straight and let both wrap and then you'll be doing the butter fly the other dir..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,819    Replies: 6
"Im so proud of myself :P I'm not really very good at it yet, but I'm drroling at all the possibilities for combos and stuff from this move Getting a new move is the best feeling. Well..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,014    Replies: 4
"I twirl double staffs, and i love it but i am finding it hard to find new moves, i can do 5 different moves that look good (i don´t what there called so i can´t tell you) but i need m..."
Views: 2,140    Replies: 0
"Jo Derry!!! Are you out there? I am trying to send you an e-mail to ask you a question but I keep getting delivery errors. Is the e-mail address for you that is posted on this websit..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,959    Replies: 2
"Strings?? Not for me. I'm using fishing spindals and re-inforced stainless steel rings. 4 links long each side all spindals. This promotes a good loco-motion, and enables you to spi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,318    Replies: 2
"I had a very full-on day with more than a year's worth of emotion packed into it (incredible story). So I was also feeling very hmm..drained and numb I guess. And very very scattered...."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,357    Replies: 7
"1) When i do short strings (8" or so), i go into a corkscrew with my hands close together, so that they just spin over and under my arms, two beats on top then 2 beats bottom, them i do..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,821    Replies: 2
"OK I have the forward weave behind the back. You start off by going backwards split spin at your sides, Cross behind your back and stard forward weave behind the back. Now I don't know ..."
Page: ...

HOP Newsletter