Forums > Beginner Poi Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 2,510    Replies: 2
"I've got the rythem of the reverse 5 beat down and am coming out with decent circles on either side, but here's my trouble- it seems that I can only do this when I hold my hands up, abo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,860    Replies: 14
"This is my favourite move - it works best if you are swinging in parties, nightclubs etc i only tried it with glowsticks but i bet it will work better with fire Basically you begin by ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,366    Replies: 14
"I'm getting ok at doing the spinning,,and my friend taught me some cool wraps,, but i was wondering if there is a web site that shows you hw to do wraps the way this site shows you how ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,442    Replies: 3
"ok does anyone know a move where u can get out of the behand the back (or butt) butterfly? i can get into it smoothly but have not figured a way to get out."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,395    Replies: 1
"Okay, so I had a dream last night about poi... I used to be heavy into gymnastics, but I'm so out of shape I couldn't possibly do this move... maybe if I stretch out, I could manage it ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,253    Replies: 10
"OK, a windmill is sorta like a weave, right? And it is possible to do a weave turn, so it should be possible to do a windmill turn.It is. So far I've only worked out two permutations. I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,690    Replies: 3
"Recently, I've found myself doing a lot of BTB stuff. I just wanted to share with everyone a couple of good moves that are real crowd pleasers. 1)(skull bash) BTBW (5 reps) to a right..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,883    Replies: 1
"with the led attached to the end of ur glowstick with a splitring toss one glowstick up and catch it in the elbow joint not open ur arm quick to pop the glowstick up and catch it and si..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,491    Replies: 2
"Ive been messing around with wraps as transition moves, but Im having a little trouble uwrapping some of them.Ill try to explain the particular wrap Im having trouble with, but if Im no..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,557    Replies: 4
"i was lookingf at some of the videos and at the start some staff peformers breifly lift the staff and produce 5 ft flames above the staff... i cannot imagine how this is done but 1 it l..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,764    Replies: 1
"Can someone explain to me the method of going from a weave to reverse or vice versa by sticking out one leg, having both poi hit the same side of the leg, then come out into the reverse..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,767    Replies: 6
"can anybody here pull off the 4 beat weave behind their back. I can do it forwards and am working on doing it backwards. Help me."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,040    Replies: 10
"I was toying around with the thing I read on here a while back where you can go from a butterfly to left/right hand above your head and the opposite hand behind your back, then meet at ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,276    Replies: 4
"I saw a pic of someone doin a heart shape here. anyone have any idea how this is done?"
Last Reply by
Views: 2,329    Replies: 1
"Hi,I'm actually a beginner I spin only for one month and a half and I use fire only for two weeks. I have learn all the tricks in the poi lesson (except the BTB weave, BTB butterfly and..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,058    Replies: 3
"hehe here's a cool one time move for glowsticks. Do a one handed butterfly as fast as you can then push yourself to make it go faster not sure when it happens but sometime the lines wil..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,006    Replies: 5
"hey there I all new to this ...I been twirling off and on for about three months now and worked out a move that I havent seen anywhere esle...so here goesstart with a forward swing, the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,926    Replies: 1
"ok you know those balls that you can pull to make a bigger ball, they have like hinges , they are plastic, some glow in the dark? well are there any moves that you can put together to m..."
Views: 2,042    Replies: 0
"I found myself in a puddle of laughter upon discovering this trick. (sorry but its a meteor trick)I have been playing with double neck wraps on poi for some time now, so I tried it with..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,455    Replies: 1
"Here is the practice routine I have come up with that covers just about all the moves I know, however every time I perform the routine, I get to the end and it just doesn't feel finishe..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,417    Replies: 2
"Hey hey poi people.I have been playing with the meteor recently and have discovered something interesting.But I need your help!When doing the one handed butterfly in a forwards directio..."
Views: 1,618    Replies: 0
"Hey I have done a few shows now blowing fire. and have a few ?s. what was the differance btwn your blowing tourches and your contact ones? Can you put out your blowing tourch in your mo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,477    Replies: 8
"everytime i try poi'ing with two strings on one hand, i wind up getting them crossed, tangled or knotted. i want to eventually move on to doubles with both hands, but i need to figure ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,789    Replies: 7
"I've been toying a little w/ doing a forward butterfly and switching to a reverse butterfly w/ a 180, and vice-versa. I've also been toying with going from a forward at one side of my ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,017    Replies: 4
"do the butterfly, bring it behind your head, then on the downbeat, kick up one leg and wrap the butterfly around it and bring your foot back down. you will now be doing the reverse but..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,272    Replies: 6
"I stumbled on this one, but it is really neat.Begin like you are doing a tuck turn; as you are bring them out and in front of your body, instead of turning, keep your feet planted, and ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,169    Replies: 5
"Never seen this done and was wondering if anyone else can do it. I was playing around with neck wraps tonight and instead of the traditional, they don't really wrap and you tilt you he..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,049    Replies: 3
"This is a simple variation on the usual weave motion. Usually I do this with my wrist pretty close together. The main difference with the giant weave is that I don't. This is an interes..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,532    Replies: 1
"1.get poi tails dirty at free party.2.let the dirt set and go rock solid.3.swing your poi and simply whip yourself in the eye, easy as that. (painful as that)4. the creative side of it ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,054    Replies: 1
"Hey poi people.Have a play with this one, I`m almost sure that I made it up, and I love it!spin both poi backwards at split times, as the right poi comes up slacken the chain so the poi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,121    Replies: 1
"So you do a btb weave with one hand, and keep the other in the btb weave (doesn't really matter which way), attempt to launch into a horizontal butterfly and reflect one of your new sup..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,424    Replies: 17
"I discovered what can be done with the split time butterfly this evening. OH MY GOD! Words cannot describe the experience.(but I'll try. ;-)So, I've been looking for some new moves r..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,124    Replies: 8
"Howdidoodi?It has come to my attention that some poi people think that by putting together an act or routine will limit them in some way!?!Creating a show can only feed your skills and ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,505    Replies: 1
"I was playing around with the btb circular weave last night (trying to ignore fumes =/) and came across a funky 'new' move which goes a little like this,Doing the btb circular weave, ba..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,695    Replies: 2
"Sorry peeps, i know i havn't really contributed much to the moves section lately but i thought i'd share some new moves i know now really well. 1.) Ok, this was mentioned before i bele..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,228    Replies: 5
"i was playing around and i am trying to get the hang of about 4 moves at the mo and then i went in to a mad thing where you do fwd butterfly on your right side bkw butterfly on the left..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,823    Replies: 2
"been trying for awhile but can't land a forward behind the back weave. I was wondering if anyone had some tips."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,628    Replies: 1
"Ive been looking at some glowsticking (on strings of course) videos and I saw a move in a few of them that Id like to learn. From what I saw, the person starts with a forward weave and ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,485    Replies: 3
"Sorry about posting this... I feel a bit foolish but I've just got to know, as I do the moves but practically have no idea what most of them are called.. but what are wraps? And, how ar..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,967    Replies: 16
"This has to be one of the stupidest, most perverted things one of my freinds has ever said to me...last wendsday night, i was outside with me and one of the guys i've been trying to tea..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,035    Replies: 4
"Here is a totally non-technical staff trick that is simple and looks amazingly cool. It might be old hat to you staff peeps, but it's new to me.During Ben's fire staff demo at the ECS..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,882    Replies: 12
"Technical tricks may be fun to learn and challange yourself, but if you perform for an audience what is important is how you present your tricks.What are your top tips for performing!?!..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,691    Replies: 21
"Actually I didn't but since Nomad thought it was on purpose, he named it and everything...what did you call it Nomad? and intentional or not this worked, so...ladies for an interesting ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,073    Replies: 1
"Since I am relatively new to the fire spinning game, and learned it on the beaches of Thailand where no-one knows any of the names which appear to be in vogue, I was wondering if this p..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,248    Replies: 4
"I've found that if U spin the staff on your right side. Switch and take it in just your right hand, and throw it so it makes a single backflip. Then twist you hand forward as far as you..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,190    Replies: 9
"Hey,I just started poi and Im having some trouble doing the weave. Ive read the instructions on this page a hundred times, but i still cant get it. Any advice on getting this down??BTW,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,007    Replies: 3
"Wussup everyone. ive been reading everyones threads for like a week now and i finally decided to register to join in on all the fun. now lets get down to business...ive been practicin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,809    Replies: 4
"Tonight I figured that not only is it a good idea to stop spinning one poi to reverse the direction, but this simple idea has let me create more new moves than I could possibly explain!..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,671    Replies: 2
"Dunno if it's even worth posting, but I haven't seen it before. Using your wrists you can go back and forth between forward and reverse spins using the butterfly. While doing a butter..."
Views: 2,332    Replies: 0
"Hmmm...how to describe this????Ever see the video for Janet Jackson's Rythm Nation? It's in there..sort of. In dance it is called a windmill move. One arm extends over your head followe..."
Page: ...

HOP Newsletter