Forums > Beginner Poi Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 1,771    Replies: 5
"I perfer the butterfly with the pois crossing at the sides rather than top and bottom, the butterfly must be done this way for this trick to work.While doing the butterfly bring your ha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,496    Replies: 18
"ok on the second 38 of this video Fluorescent poi from Jo Derry. Sheffield, England. Well worth watching as their is some pretty amazing moves here.on the homeofpoi videos section on th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,502    Replies: 1
"In the vidoe of the reverse weave on the lessons page you see the girl do a full turn from backward to forward to backward again. Do this but face the camera and go from forward to back..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,685    Replies: 1
"if you're trying to teach someone the weave or any move that requires a rythmic hand cross over thing, try useing two peices of bamboo or similar as poi. the moves are leanrt much quick..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,864    Replies: 2
"hey all okay, so I'm postponing study again.I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but this is my token poi move Start with something resembling the 'alternate butterfly combin..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,171    Replies: 10
"Staff is taking over... theres no new threads on poi. Though i think the reason why no one posts moves on poi is that its way too difficult to explain a move outside of comparing it to..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,275    Replies: 1
"this isn't really a move but stupid crowds get a kick out of it if..... make sure nobody is going to walk into your space and that you have plenty of room before you try this also...i w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,156    Replies: 21
"Hmmm, that explaination only seems to partially cover it. What you explained, Pere, is a good way to build up to it. I'll do my best to explain it hear. A Fountain (sometimes called a S..."
Views: 1,477    Replies: 0
"its about damn time!!!!!!i finally nailed tha 3 beat weave, now im movin on to more moves seemingly quicker...thanks to all that helped me with my limp left hand i took tha advice n it ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,307    Replies: 12
"...is very possible, but tends to sort of, well, droop - kind of go into the horizontal plane. Is there any way to stop this?and can you go from 1hd normal to 1hd split time?and can any..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,547    Replies: 2
"I NEED MAJOR HELP WITH THE WEAVE...I JUST STARTED WITH POI SO I BASICALLY SUCK...ALL I CAN DO IS THE BUTTERFLY REALLY GOOD...BUT NEWAIZ...WHEN I DO THE BUTTERFLY IT KEEPS ON BEING HORIZ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,653    Replies: 7
"okay i guess ive become a pretty good spinner in my opinion but i still cant do one of the "simplest" moves the butterfly. heres my problem i start with simaltaneous foward swings and ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,760    Replies: 10
"ne 1 out a righty who HAD a problem usin there left hand, n fixed the problem?????? tha damn thing wont listen >;\"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,943    Replies: 7
"I've done a search and I don't think anyone has mentioned doing multiple poi. Now granted I am not yet up to this standard, but I wouldn't be surprised if others here have done/can do/t..."
Views: 1,320    Replies: 0
"i gotta say thanx 4 tha help tha poiers gave to me,regarding my ignorant left hand.......im gradually gettin the sync down yay 4 me!!!!!!!"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,945    Replies: 5
"OK, Everyone's got an achillies heal move and believe it or not I feel very uncomfortable in a Rev Butterfly. I can do it. But not with the ease and flexibility of a forward butterfly..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,667    Replies: 7
"for glowsticks i think fire would be too heavy. spin a butterfly as slow as you can and go doubletime with the right poi so its two revolutions with right and one left. just try to get ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,917    Replies: 2
"Heya all, I've been reading through a some posts and kinda got lost on the lingo...I'm only a newbie to the "twirler dialect" so plz humor me....I understand weave and all the moves li..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,354    Replies: 2
"anyone come up with any good moves where the poi go at different speeds? There was that double butterfly thing, and of course half giant versions of most of the moves...but, just implan..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,134    Replies: 12
"I just wanted to take a minute and say kudos to everybody. There are so many new moves popping up. Its crazy and there just getting iller and iller. I have trouble keeping up. I just wa..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,734    Replies: 10
"Hey, Im lost when it comes to the "TNN" what is it.Thanx MuchMatty"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,361    Replies: 6
"Ok, er, technically this is a butterfly family move rather than a weave, but I couldn't think of a better name... butterfly weave is already taken y'see... could be the butterfly Butter..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,818    Replies: 5
"I was just mucking around tonight and i figured out that you can do a one-handed 3-9 butterfly, or whatever it is called when the poi intersect at horizontal rather than vertical. So, ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,488    Replies: 7
"i read aaaaaaaaages ago bout a girl who used firepoi and told the interviewer she wanted to learn a move that 'makes it look like you have wings of fire'.... been intrigues ever since, ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,382    Replies: 3
"no only kidding...------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ &..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,928    Replies: 2
"a 360 degrees turn with butterfly...like the 360 degress turn with weaave but with butterfly... well i do it but i dont have idea how it looks... i wish i had a camara "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,769    Replies: 5
"been playing around with throwing the poi in the air .i read athread here about bringing the poi under the legs from behind,letting go of the handles and then catching it again from the..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,943    Replies: 41
"jeez i have tried and tried this move and i cant get it!!! okay give me tips maybe also i got a question when you do a 180 turn with the butterfly doing tread on the neaddle you get in ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 10,004    Replies: 2
"okay, i hope this is a new move. with my meteors i was doing the butterfly and when the poi ore on the up swing i throw the foot long piece that is between my hands straight into my ju..."
Views: 1,424    Replies: 2
"Helo this is going to make me sound like a begginer but no matter what I do I can't get the btb chase, I have no one to teach me and i can't find any sources that could tell me, nearly ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,449    Replies: 3
"I dunno if this was already posted cuz i dunno what it's called (if it even has a name). It's when you swing your poi behind you and the two strings go under your legs, you let go with..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,547    Replies: 2
"um... i can kinda do a one handed corkscrew, and kinda do a simple weave, i think (hey, leeave me alone, i only had these things for a week), but i cant keep the chains at 180 degrees t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,272    Replies: 23
"I'm confused on which btb weave is considered "forward" and which one is considered "reverse."I would think that if the rotation of the poi on your left side is clockwise and the rotati..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,671    Replies: 3
"Heya all,I picked up Poi for the first time in march, so since then I've learnt up to 22 on the poi lessons with a couple of little moves added in. I can almost switch between all of th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,589    Replies: 14
"Hi guys,I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the timing of BTL butterfly exit? I've got the entry reasonably ok (needs work) but I've only ever got the exit a couple of times, and ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,099    Replies: 6
"Ade suggested in another thread to tie a ribbon to one end of a staff as an aid to explaining what some of us see as "forwards".I think the idea of marking the different ends of a staff..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,222    Replies: 4
"Hey, one move i noticed that was missing was a leg wrap. I dont usually use poi's or anything...i'm more of a glowstick kinda guy...its basically the same, but u guys have more balls t..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,525    Replies: 13
"okay...what is this guy doing from 12 secs forward?the video is in the same page"Inside stage production using some fluorescent type poi...24sec in length."(http://64.87.7.217/displaymp..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,604    Replies: 6
"Everyone knows how to do the cool fireball sart with staff, right? But we poiers are left without any fancy way to start. Something I've been working on lately is the fireball start for..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,505    Replies: 4
"ez just do the 4 beat corkscrew with a 360 body varial going in the same direction. do it with a jump by bending your kneez down with your downswing on the corkscrew.if u want added att..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,548    Replies: 20
"For all of you that know how to do the btb weave, and especially those of you that just recently got it:I'm finally trying to get my btb forward weave (the one where you hit your shins,..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,964    Replies: 8
"i would like know about any jump moves that anybody knows or experiences people have had with jumping."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,199    Replies: 4
"This is just a little extra addition to the one handed butterfly. When you have the One handed butterfly going smoothly infront of you (as in the video) as your hand moves down you can ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,260    Replies: 13
"hey can someone please tell me some moves i could use with glowsticks while theyre in my hands...not on poi? thanks"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,812    Replies: 7
"***"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,897    Replies: 12
"I have been trying, like many people here, to do the 5 beat chase... however, I may have gotten it, or I may have gotten somehting completely different.I start by doing the 3 beat weave..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,030    Replies: 18
"I don't do staff, but I saw this guy on David Letterman tonight that does cube spinning, so I decided to check out his website. He's got this cool video where he keeps rolling this sta..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,977    Replies: 14
"Was doing some circular weaves the other night and was thinking about a previous post about consideration for your crowd - a weave looks crap if you're facing the crowd.I started doing ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,866    Replies: 24
"anyone want to know how to a cartwheel on a staff? I can do one but i can't be bothered to type on an indepth description if no one wants to know. It's actually really easy!!!----------..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,869    Replies: 11
"Anyone have any ideas on how to approach making one's style more fluid and continuos? I know a lot of individual moves, as well as the turns, and I can go from a weave to a windmill an..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter