Forums > Beginner Poi Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 3,291    Replies: 26
"(edit; i have retitled this thread for clarity)well against insurmountable odds, and with the help of a little button in the search engine i never saw before , and a little help fr..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,062    Replies: 12
"I'm only assuming it has a name...somewhere...cause just about every movement of poi has been named somewhere. Anyways, here's what I'm doing:Start with a 3 beat weave directly above yo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,153    Replies: 9
"Does anybody have any suggestions for moves involving four poi (two in each hand)?I can get a 2bt weave in, but anything more complicated ends up wrapping on my arms or on each other......"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,549    Replies: 2
"OK folk, you know how if you throw your staff up in the and spin it you burn of all the excess fuel and get two lovely pillars of flame, yes good I see you're following. I was just wond..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,648    Replies: 4
"I just remembered this one and I can see a hell of a lot of branches from this, what happens is I do a fan kick (comes up and around) with my right leg and throw the right poi under tha..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,793    Replies: 14
"To do a weave like motion where the poi are going in opposite directions, ie left hand is doing forwards weave and left hand doing backwards weave?I'm desperate for some new moves which..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,808    Replies: 7
"I did a search on this and couldn't find anything regarding it. Maybe I should have looked a little harder. Anyways I think it is about time that somebody said someting about it, becaus..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,979    Replies: 17
"I saw this done without poi as a martial arts exercise on a film. It looks pretty good with poi. I think it will also look good with glow stick dancing but I haven't tried it or seen ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,951    Replies: 14
"hi there...I'm working on the 5 and 7 beat weaves and started thinking about new moves.....Anyone know any good ones where the pois are swinging in opposite direction......I know a weav..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,925    Replies: 24
"So, I moderate these parts and don't post in them. *removing moderator cap for personal opinion*Lately I am so upset/disappointed in the amount of "Who's Better" "It's All About YOUR Eg..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,656    Replies: 19
"I was just curious to see how long it took u guys to get all the moves on the lessons section to see where I stand. Took me about 3 months and a lot of practice and I could still use s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,305    Replies: 3
"Hey, just thought of something i saw at a rave i went to recently. This one kid there would get set up to do the move by doing a bunch of wraps to get them into the butterfly. With the ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,830    Replies: 8
"Ok, so one of my favorite moves is to turn while doing the weave. You know, twirl around going from forward to backward weave a few times.Except I've noticed that when I do this, the p..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,301    Replies: 16
"So I was sitting here trying to figure out WHY my butterflys always feel better with the right on top. Then I realized that when the right is on top my left poi is a fraction of a seco..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,543    Replies: 3
"I can't afford to buy COL or any other vids until i'm working again, or i'd just get that...Does anyone know where i could look for some clips of someone doing just a backwards weave fo..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,326    Replies: 35
"Hey !!I was just wondering how long it takes to be "good" ...assuming one isn't a coordination looser ? When did you pro's know it was the right time to start with the fire poi ? Just s..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,404    Replies: 4
"Okay, now it might not be so special to you guys, but I've been spinning for two years and STILL have not been able to get the behind the back weave, until a nice loud set of recorded O..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,360    Replies: 1
"Hi my real name is Elliot, I'm new here but i would like to share with you some moves i think i might have invented. I call this family of moves the decapitations purely because if you ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,231    Replies: 37
""if glass does the inverted buzzsaw thing please kick his a$$ for me"NYC wrote this a little while back and after searching the site i still can't find any mention of what it actually i..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,143    Replies: 8
"I have been stringing for about 10 months off and on and everytime i go to a club to string or just fool around there is always someone there trying to out do me especiallyguys from aus..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,317    Replies: 9
"do any of you remember a thread i posted a little while back about poi in a circus/gymnastics display? well ive got to think of ideas for our artistic gymnastic one now. the theme is ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,996    Replies: 10
"I'm not sure if thats what its called(air wrap) but its where you get both of the poi spinning in the same direction and hit both of them together, they wrap together and uncoil and go ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,191    Replies: 27
"There is no peace, there is Anger;There is no fear, there is Power.There is no death, there is Immortality;There is no weakness, there is the Dark Side.There was many a Jedi who longed ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,727    Replies: 8
"ok im sorry if this has already been coverd wich im shure it has, but i used the search and i didnt find much on it that was helpfull. basicaly what im wondering about this is, is this..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,410    Replies: 20
"Ok a topic starter and all ideas ecouraged. We have been talking recently about "concept" moves. These are moves which are brand new but in themselves upon up several variations to unli..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,635    Replies: 7
"Evening all, I was just wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions on trick/patterns i can go into from any butterfly/variation cos i'm finding it hard to inspire myself ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,709    Replies: 5
"This move is not done with pois and the strings are shorter. They are done with short string glowsticks. Ive seen a lot of really nice recoils, and i was wondering if anyone has any tip..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,162    Replies: 6
"Another techie question here!There's a video on this site featuring Jo Derry - the blurb says he pulls off some good tricks and its 'well worth a watch'. At one point he does a move whi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,485    Replies: 21
"As far as i can see(at the moment)there are three types of throws.1 throws that make the poi the center of rotation.when swinging backwards wait till the poi swings up to the middle poi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,210    Replies: 5
"ok I just learned how to btb weave but I can't get the 360. I keep hitting my back, ankles, and face.... it sucks will someone please help me!! "
Last Reply by
Views: 3,383    Replies: 6
"Hey everybody! Ok, this is complicated. First of all, you know the split-time butterfly that Jo Derry does in his video, where he flips it from side to side across his body? You firs..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,410    Replies: 2
"When you do the reverse btb weave do you have to move your legs out a lil so they dont get hit? Any tips on this move? Is it hand positioning? I got the forward btb weave and 360 but I'..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,404    Replies: 4
"Been trying this for ages. I can get some turns in sometimes but they always look awkward and don't feel right like it does when I do it in front.It seems that whenever I do it Im uncro..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,324    Replies: 2
"Am I looking in the wrong forum? But I remember there was a large wrap thread in here. Does anyone have it saved somewhere? I've just gotten a bit more comfortable with wraps and want..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,103    Replies: 7
"Has anybody seen Jo Derry in the video section of this website, he is doing butterfly then starts to turn it one way almost behind him then back to the middle then turns it the other wa..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,105    Replies: 1
"For some reason i am finding it really hard to getta hold. I can do the movement that is easy but its executing it that im having problems with, I seem to keep hitting myself in the fac..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,198    Replies: 5
"This year my friend and I are performing our senior show. We were banned from using glowsticks, so we have to use our practice poi (which are still pretty, but not quite the same eye ca..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,404    Replies: 6
"how the hell do you do the 7 beat weave without wrapping. I can do the 5 with no problem now but 7...i just cant figure it out????please help anyone "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,514    Replies: 15
"I was at a party in the bronx last weekend...there was this guy spinning there, he did this move that blew my mind. you know that jump when you are lieing on your back, and you like, ar..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,355    Replies: 3
"Just recently started throwing my poi and have managed to put together some nifty little sequences.Trouble is,when it comes to lighting up in the dark i find it very difficult to see th..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,745    Replies: 6
"I can do the weave forwards and backwards and spin around in circles doing it but I cant get the 4 beat weave.Anybody got any tips or help for me learning this move?"
Last Reply by
Views: 1,695    Replies: 2
"where the hell can i buy wirewool for my poi from and can i use standard parafin on it????? "
Last Reply by
Views: 2,094    Replies: 15
"Once again, i found out a move, but i dunno if anyone has done it or not. I'll post it anyways...Aight, to get the movement right, take your arms (no poi at the moment) and put ur hands..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,694    Replies: 6
"Ok, i know all the moves under Poi-lessons and plus a few more that i've made up myself, and i don't know what direction to go, because now it seems as though it splits off into 3 paths..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,925    Replies: 10
"Not Butterfly! Works much the same as a TTN though, one arm gets pulled back ontop of the other, then flips under and they switch position. Forward is easier.Start doing a figure-8 (sta..."
Last Reply by
Views: 2,493    Replies: 1
"Hello EveryoneAdding a little contribution to the Poi moves... I don't know if this has already been covered but when doing a thread the needle, with practise, you can get one of the po..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,465    Replies: 2
"I was wondering what an air wrap was? I have heard about it but never found out what it was also what is a buzzsaw --------------------------------------------------P.L.U.R.Peace.Lov..."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,620    Replies: 1
"What is the difference between a forward btb weave and a backwards btb weave P.L.U.R."
Last Reply by
Views: 1,324    Replies: 3
"alright I know its a simple move but I can do it with catherdral wicks but its painful"
Views: 2,572    Replies: 0
"Hey!My new girlfriend did 14 years Modern gym. and now shes begin twirlig.I was realy amazed how easy she learned new tricks.She showed me some Club and Rope tricks and I transfer it to..."
Page: ......

HOP Newsletter